Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

ball joints and control arm problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-09, 03:48 PM
therock5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ball joints and control arm problems

I have a 2000 GS 3000 with 65,000 miles on it. My mechanic reccomends that I replace my (both sides) lower ball joints, upper control arms, and struts. I've heard rattling coming from the driver side especially when I go over speed bumps. Is this a common problem on these cars espically at my low milleage? My mechanic said he would replace these things and to save me money he said buy the parts online. Where is a good place to get Lexus parts and he said that KYB are the best struts for this car? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-17-09, 07:06 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Suspension items on Lexus and many luxury cars start to wear down fast after 60K miles. Reason is all that nice soft comfortable ride has to be achieved somehow. That usually is in the rubber bushings absorbing most of the vibration. While your cars suspension components may not actually be bad at this point yet, they will definitely start degrading quickly and by 100K miles more than likely would need replacing. If your mechanic inspected them, you trust his honestly, I would replace it.

Lower ball joints is a major item to watch. Unlike many other cars that simply wear and the ball joint just becomes loose and has play, the GS lower ball joint is known to fail and literally break the bolt in half and you'll loose all steering control as the wheel will separate from the hub. It has happened many times before. Most of us change our lower ball joints a little early for preventative measure since they are cheap. Cost about $135 for a pair (Left and Right).
Old 04-17-09, 07:14 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by therock5
I have a 2000 GS 3000 with 65,000 miles on it. My mechanic reccomends that I replace my (both sides) lower ball joints, upper control arms, and struts. I've heard rattling coming from the driver side especially when I go over speed bumps. Is this a common problem on these cars espically at my low milleage? My mechanic said he would replace these things and to save me money he said buy the parts online. Where is a good place to get Lexus parts and he said that KYB are the best struts for this car? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Personally, I would look no further than two CL sponsors for your needs.

For OEM suspension parts (ball joints, control arms, etc) I would go to Sewell Lexus
www.sewellpartsonline.com

For shocks, Tire Rack

www.tirerack.com

If you call them make sure to mention CL for the best pricing, it helps.

Oh, if you're going to replace your shocks you might as well give yourself a little drop with some lowering springs
Old 04-17-09, 02:30 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by therock5
I had the same rattling problem when going over those road markers. Replace the OEM struts/shocks to KYB G2R. Noise was gone! Also, I would change the ball joints while I'm at the shocks/struts because the mechanic would have to take out the ball joints to do the struts. Might as well change it and save some labor money since its off. As for the upper control arms, you would have to check that out yourself and ask him to explain why you need to change it. If it's convinceable, then do it. But I don't think you need to change it IMO. GL!
Old 04-18-09, 09:25 PM
therock5
Driver School Candidate

I found two KBR gas struts and two upper control arms rt and lft - Made by MEVOTECH all for $650. Sounds like a good price for all those parts. Anybody have experience with that brand?
Old 04-18-09, 09:27 PM
therock5
Driver School Candidate

Default Found Good Price for Upper Control Arms and KBR STRUTS

GOOD PRICE FOR STRUTS AND CONTROL ARMS - $650 for everything. I have a 2000 GS 3000 with 65,000 miles on it. My mechanic reccomends that I replace my (both sides) lower ball joints, upper control arms, and struts. I've heard rattling coming from the driver side especially when I go over speed bumps. Is this a common problem on these cars espically at my low milleage? My mechanic said he would replace these things and to save me money he said buy the parts online. Where is a good place to get Lexus parts and he said that KYB are the best struts for this car? Any help will be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by therock5; 04-18-09 at 09:28 PM. Reason: new info
Old 04-19-09, 04:01 AM
imc
Rookie

Does any one have a P/N for these parts?
Thx
Old 04-19-09, 08:09 PM
mrploww
Driver School Candidate

Not to hijack this but my 2000 GS300 has terrible vibration in the steering wheel when going over bumps at highway speeds. It really shakes the wheel and can actually feel it pull the steering wheel. I have replaced both upper control arms and lower ball joints only 300 miles ago. Does it sound like struts?

Thanks for the info!!