Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Front end issues?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-08, 09:46 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Front end issues?

Well I've been having a wierd noise coming from the front end as of lately(few months) when i turn or brake.. I installed new brake fitting kits on both sides and now the noise is still slightly there but the when i brake the steering wheel shakes like crazy? Do i need a alignment? Now granted i haven't had a alignment or tire balance for about a year now.. I don't drive very far but the shakyness only really accured after the fitting kit install..
Also, the ball joints were replaced last year..

Any ideas.. thanks guys..

Major thanks to GSteg for helping me and putting up with all my questions..
Old 06-17-08, 10:23 AM
bigqdone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Front end problems

Sounds like you might have some warped or unbalanced rotors. If you don't feel the vibration with normal driving it is likely the brakes (more specifically your rotors). It wouldn't hurt to have the wheels and tires balanced as well to eliminate any doubt.

Bigqdone
99GS300
Old 06-17-08, 11:32 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

I just took the pads off and sprayed down the rotors and pads with some brake cleaner and rechecked the fitting kit and the brakes seem to be better.. Maybe i had debre on the rotor or pads.. I did just wash the car on Sunday so maybe something got in there?

I do still hear some creeking noise sometimes when i turn or brake. I still can't figure it out? The car is stopping a lot better IMO...
Old 06-24-08, 06:15 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Anyone else have any ideas before i bring this car into the shop and they look at me like I'm crazy. I'm getting pretty fed up.. I heard the noise tonight when i brake and turn the wheels.. Sounds like a creeking noise like something is being stressed or something when i turn the wheels. When i brake it sounds like a pop sound or something moves. Its weird but this has been going on for months.. Thanks in advance..

Tony
Old 06-30-08, 07:21 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

TTT... Any ideas from you suspension gurus? Thanks in advance..
Old 07-07-08, 04:23 PM
Alafingaz
Rookie

ive been having the same problem and im thinkin its the rotors also
Old 07-07-08, 05:53 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by Alafingaz
ive been having the same problem and im thinkin its the rotors also
I sprayed the rotors down and pads a few weeks ago.. That helped my brakeing but i still hear a noise when i turn the wheel and brake... Its driving me crazy..
Old 07-08-08, 05:48 AM
dinero718
Driver School Candidate

I just put on new brakes and rotors last week thursday, when i got out of the shop everything was cool braked fine and released good. when i went to the car wash after i got out i noticed that when i am stopped and i slowly take my foot of the pedal i hear like a grunting noise and it also happen when i brake sometimes, its been 5 days already and i still hear the noise Periodcally and suggestions?
Old 07-15-08, 05:02 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Well got my car back today from the shop.. My mechanic had my car for about a day in a half and says he tightened every bolt and checked the ball joints and everything seems to be in great working condition.. He took the calipers apart and lubed them up because he says they were sticking etc.. I picked the car up and as soon as i backed out i heard the noise when i turned the wheel.. He narrowed it down to the right side so it can either be the strut() or ball joint.. He said the ball joint looked fine but I'm dropping it off again tomorrow so he can have it for a few more days..

I really hope its neither the strut nor ball joint.. If its not going to interfere with driving then I'll live with it.. It seems like it only happens when the car is under load when i press the brake as i come to a complete stop. Can something happen internally in the Tein strut to go bad or cause a noise? I really think its the ball joint.. why would it make a sound when i turn the wheel... It has to be that? BTW the ball joints are practically brand new..
Old 07-18-08, 07:48 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Well i just called the mechanic and still nothing.. He took the control arms off thinking it was the bushings and lubed them up also and still nothing.. So it has to be something moving when the car brakes and the car is under load.. If he can't find anything then i'm getting the car back tomorrow..
Old 07-21-08, 05:42 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Well i got the car back Saturday morning and the car is still making the same noise.. IF the ball joints,brakes,control arms, and coilovers are fine( from a visual aspect) then what could it be.. He said he had the whole front end basically apart and couldn't pin point the noise. I drove to work and the gym today and its still there when i brake while coming to a complete stop and while turning (sometimes).. My only other idea would be the front sway bar? Maybe its cracked or somthing.. I've read that this happenes from time to time... I was told just to drive the car to see if it gets any worse to really find the issue and that the car is perfectly fine to drive from what i've been told..

Old 07-21-08, 05:59 PM
perrychad
Driver

in my opinion sounds like a upper strut mount, can oyu hear it over bumps?
Old 07-21-08, 06:03 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by perrychad
in my opinion sounds like a upper strut mount, can oyu hear it over bumps?
No.... Only when i turn out of my driveway and coming to a complete stop it makes the noise right before i stop.. Very weird...
Old 07-21-08, 06:19 PM
perrychad
Driver

i gonna be lazy and not rear the other post. did you change your swaybar bushings, could be flexing when you break, and poping
Old 07-21-08, 06:23 PM
perrychad
Driver

okay i read the other post. i still think it could be the upper mounts. the strut/coilover could be moving when you brake. put your finger on top of the strut and bounce the car. see if you feel any poping or binding in either strut.

Quick Reply: Front end issues?