Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Akebono Street Performance Pads - Anyone used these?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-07, 12:39 PM
bee0818
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will do...
Old 12-17-07, 12:47 PM
kevs98GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
There is no significant improvement in stopping distance. What you do get is better resistance to fade, better better, etc. As long as they're good pads, you'll be okay. Even BBKs do not give you better stopping distance. Stopping distance is yielded through the weight of the car and the traction of your tires. Those two ultimately determines your stopping distance.

Even OEM pads have enough bite to stop your car. The difference is the OEM pads will probably smoke after doing some hard stopping, and you get a good amount of brake dust.
There is no way you can tell me that my car doesn't stop in a shorter distance after putting on the Supra BBK!!!! With the weight of the car unchanged and you add more pots to your caliper, bigger rotor size and bigger pad size all equals more stopping power. If you have more stopping power then you will stop in a shorter distance! As soon as I find another GS to replace mine I will do a comparison of the two. I won't actually test the two cars.....I will test the new car with the stock brakes and then put on the BBK and measure the two distances! But I will guarantee the distance will be shorter with the BBK!
Old 12-17-07, 01:23 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

What you gain with bigger rotor/pads/etc is the ability to reduce fading. You may decrease stopping distance, but dont expect anything more than a few feet. C&D tested a stock WRX with OEM and multiple aftermarket BBKs. The difference between OEM braking distance and aftermarket BBK isn't big at all. The aftermarket BBKs just shows more consistent braking distance.
Ultimately, your braking distance is determined by the tires and the weight of the vehicle. Any other upgrades will be minor.

To put it into perspective, disable your ABS motor. Drive up to 60mph and then slam onto the brakes. I will guarantee you the OEM calipers are able to lock up your wheels. If an OEM setup can do this, what difference does it make if your aftermarket BBK can clamp even harder? Once you lock up your wheels, then it's locked up. Period. Add more force if you want, but it wont change anything there after.

Now thankfully we have ABS to avoid that type of situation. Our ABS doesn't know whether we have aftermarket brakes or not. OEM or not, it will allow maximized clamping power, but just on the brinks of locking up. The Supra setup feels like it's giving you a shorter stopping distance, but it's the initial bite and feel that makes you think that. It's a lot more touchy than the OEM setup. My sister's accord has very touchy brakes. You feel that car stops you to a halt whenever you touch the pedal so slightly, but tests reviews that the accord (7th gen) takes over 15 feet to stop from 60-0 compared to our GS.

I know, it sounds backwards, but that's just how it is. Kind of like how smaller clutches provides more grabbing power than bigger clutches. Doesn't sound right, but that's how it works.

I'm not saying that BBKs are worthless. I'm getting myself some BBKs also, but not for the same reason as others (braking distance). I'm doing it for the reduction in brake fade, so I can stop consistently.
Old 12-17-07, 09:06 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good perspective GSteg, I never thought about it like that.
Old 04-16-08, 08:42 AM
SUPRAboy80
Pole Position

So what's the word on these Akebono's? Has anyone used the Hawk Pads? Ceramic or composite?