Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

do i have warped rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-07, 08:29 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do i have warped rotors?

first, the major concern is when i'm at 50mph - my steering wheels vibrates like all hell, but only at 50mph, anything less or more than that, it's fine. [pedal doesn't shake either]

second, when i stop [ all speeds, more noticeably at lower speeds ] it feels like it'll grab, then loosen, then grab again. kind of hard to explain. it's like.. you'll be driving, then you hit the brakes, it grabs, then it feels like it loosens up, then it grabs, back and forth like that.

any ideas? new pads? new rotors? [i'm gonna get an alignment 'cause i know that's been a problem for me already]
Old 06-12-07, 08:52 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

First sounds like a balancing issue, not sure. I have it too around 60 mph.

Second sounds like they might be warped. My car vibrates like crazy when I slow down to exit off the freeway. Time to get the rotors resurfaced for me.
Old 06-12-07, 08:54 PM
pardo
Pole Position

i think you have 2 separates issues, the second one sounds like a warped rotors. I had the same symptoms, after i replaced my front rotors and pads the car brakes perfectly now.
Old 06-12-07, 09:02 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

is it just my fronts that are warped or all 4?

and what's a balancing issue?
Old 06-12-07, 09:37 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it's hard to determine which rotors are wrapped, unless you have a basic shop (Meineke or Pepboys if they offer it) to look at the rotors for you.

PS - is warpped rotors obvious (when looking at it)?
Old 06-12-07, 09:39 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

i don't think you can look at the rotors and determine if they're warped.. damn.. i hope they're not warped. >.<
Old 06-12-07, 09:41 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

no, it's not obvious. you need to have a micrometer, and check measurements with that. there's a spec that you have to be in to be able to resurface them.
Old 06-19-07, 04:35 AM
DCMango
Lead Lap

Just like everyone else, I also believe the vibrating at 50mph is contributed to your wheel balancing. Now where is the vibration coming from? The general rule of thumb = if your steering wheel is vibrating = front wheels. If your *** is vibrating through the seats = your rear wheels.

Now, if your brake rotors are warpped, you should feel pulling and or serious vibrations throughout the drivetrain. When you step on the brake pedals, you should feel a lot of feedback through the pedal itself. From what you are describing, it almost sound like your ABS system might be acting up.
Old 06-19-07, 09:29 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

I suggest you start off with getting the wheels balanced, that will take care of the vibration at 50 unless you have a bent wheel.

After this is done the car should be road tested and braking checked. If it is still there then you may have warped rotors or a grabbing rotor (which will need to be resurfaced also)
Old 06-19-07, 09:32 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kharizma
what's a balancing issue?
A balancing issue will be when the weight of a wheel and tire are not even all the way around the wheel. When the wheel spins, usually at high speeds, the wheel may vibrate due to centrifugal force throwing that extra weight around. When a wheel is balanced counter weight is added to even out the weight on the opposite side from the extra weighted area.
Old 06-19-07, 09:36 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

one of the simplest ways to tell if your rotors are warped is to look at them. many times, you can see the dark spots or super shiny spots (depending on what your rotors are made of). if they look striped, chances are they are warped.
Old 06-20-07, 07:48 AM
Chenzo26
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
one of the simplest ways to tell if your rotors are warped is to look at them. many times, you can see the dark spots or super shiny spots (depending on what your rotors are made of). if they look striped, chances are they are warped.
This is true.
Old 06-20-07, 11:53 AM
BccGS300
Driver School Candidate

It is very difficult to tell if your rotors are warped by looking at them. What your describing as your brake is commonly reffered to as brake pulsation. I've had the same problem. It could be that your brakes are wearing out and the rotors will warp with use and age. Hitting a puddle while the brakes are hot can do it as well. What I have found is a big problem with the 2gs is that the car is designed to use ceramic brake pads only. (front and rear). The ceramics can be a little more expensive but if you don't use them, you will be resurfacing/replacing your rotors every 3-6 months. I have seen a few 2gs's with this problem (mine included). If you take it to a shop, insist on ceramics (ceramix) and ask to see the box, just to be sure.

Popular Brake Pad Material:
Ceramic
Semi-metallic
Metallic
Organic ( that is your $69.95 brake job. Good for 5,000 miles)