Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Daizen Sways Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-05, 07:13 PM
GS300t
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daizen Sways Problems

I went to have my new Daizen sways installed this morning and I've got a couple of questions, neither good. First of all when getting them installed the tech brought me out to show me that the front sway bar mounting holes did not line up correctly with the original. I measured them myself and sure enough the space between the holes on the Dazien sway bars were about a sixteenth to an eigth of an inch farther apart than the stock, thus the screws definately would not go through. I gave him permission to drill the inside hole a little bit bigger to allow it to fit and that worked out. So then later on today in a parking lot I noticed a popping noise. I started playing around with the steering going back and forth fairly fast while driving and the noise would constantly happen when I turned back to the right (nothing at a dead stop). I had a friend ride with me and he listened for the noise while hanging out the back door and it seems as if the noise is coming from the back right, and the noise definately was not there before today. I really like the cars new found ability to corner, but the noise is making me a bit worried.

Has anyone else with Daizen sways experienced either of these problems (the holes not lining up or the clanking noise)? If not, does anyone have any suggestions about what to do? I was going to call Daizen about the holes not lining up but can't find a number anywhere and then after I found the noise I thought I'd ask on here first. Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 05-07-05, 07:58 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Had the exact problem with the mounting holes not lining up on the front. I posted about it about it a few months back when I installed the bars:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=153725

Don't worry about that issue. Fitment problems are common in aftermarket equipment--it's just a sign of poor quality control during fabrication.

The noise issue, however, I can't help you with. I didn't have any noise problems after my install. Have your mechanic review the installation to make sure that all bolts were properly torqued. Good luck.

JB
Old 05-07-05, 08:06 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

mounting holes nor lining up should not occur even in the aftermarket world. they need to be exact to function properly. if you had to enlargen the hole or alter it in any way that can prove to be very dangerous.. i would request a replacement

daizens quality to me has always been impeccable , the form the fit and the finsih were always top notch ,

this must be a bad batch ..

be careful out there is all i can say for i would not have it on my car
Old 05-07-05, 08:14 PM
GS300t
Driver School Candidate

The only reason I'm not TOO worried about the front bar is because one of the holes is still the right size and shouldn't allow the bar to slide around at all, but I'd still like to talk to Daizen and see if I could get a replacement that fits correctly. I also enjoy quality fit and finishes.

As for the noise, I was about to jack the car up tonight and check to make sure the back bolts are tight. It really almost sounds like the bolts are loose and something is just sliding around back there and when it hits its limit it makes the *CLANK* noise I keep hearing. At first I thought it was something on the loose in my trunk, but I checked that and everything was pretty secure. Then it dawned on me that it could be the new sways and my high from fast cornering went to .

Thanks for your help guys, and if anyone knows how to contact Daizen besides the e-mail they have listed on their homepage, please let me know!
Old 05-07-05, 09:19 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought my sways from TM Engineering and Todd installed it for me. I don't remember any issues with the bolts not lining up. I know lexforlife installed his set himself so he would definitely have noticed.

I don't get any clanking noises. My sways squeeks a little recently but I think I've just lost some of the grease over time.
Old 05-08-05, 12:07 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I also got my Daizen sways from Todd at TM Eng.....I installed it myself....no issue with the front sways lining up.

As for the popping noise in the rear....double check the end-link if it was installed properly....afterall....it needed to be reversed for the rear Daizen sways to fit. Also check if enuff grease was applied and the torque of the sway brackets....i think its suppose to be 13 ft/lbs or something like that. Lastly, check the bolts of the end-link to the sway bar.

Good luck.

Pete
Old 05-09-05, 10:36 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Is it ok to install sways on a dropped car.....i read a post on here somewhere that said you can't put on performance sways if the car was lowered. I asked the same question but never got a response.
Old 05-09-05, 11:00 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chicagoblknazn
Is it ok to install sways on a dropped car.....i read a post on here somewhere that said you can't put on performance sways if the car was lowered. I asked the same question but never got a response.
Oh most definitely. I (and many others on here) have sways (and a few more suspension braces ) and a drop.
Old 05-09-05, 11:05 AM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Sure it's OK. You'll just be replacing the stock sways. So, if the stock sways did not interfere, neither will the replacements. Most of the posts that I read in CL about performance sways (TRD and Daizens) were from people who had lowered or were lowering their cars. In fact, I'm in the minority because I didn't lower my car before (or after) installing the Daizens. Good luck.

JB
Old 05-09-05, 11:34 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

COOL!!!!!!!

Now let me try to find that TRD blue sway in the garage......i have no idea where it is.
Old 05-10-05, 12:32 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

something is wrong, i can't believe it to be that much off. 1/8 to 1/16 that's a lot. i have daizen swayg on my gs4 and sc430, both were perfect fit, no drilling or so. i had daizen sways on my is300 as well and it's almost perfet fit

i think you should email todd@tmengineering.net and see why. i wonder if it's something else
Old 05-10-05, 12:47 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

No problem here with installing Daizen sways with L-tuned suspension which dropped the car about an inch. Bought the Daizens from Todd at TM Engineering, he installed them for no charge while doing other work on my car. I love the handling and the ride is no longer mushy feeling.
Old 05-10-05, 12:50 AM
GS300t
Driver School Candidate

I'll do that, I need to get in touch with someone about that. Drilling a sway bar just doesn't seem right to me. Anyway, I got the car up on a lift today and checked out the rear sways. Sure enough, there was a bolt that was loose, just didn't seem like it until you really put some pressure on the sway bar. My guess is the mechanic hand tightened it and then either completely forgot or when he went over it again maybe thought it was already tightened down if just checking by hand. Either way, I'll be having words with that guy. Good thing it was just sway bars and not a life and death kind of suspension component. Thanks again for your help, guys, and I'll let you all know what happens with the front sway!
Old 05-10-05, 01:16 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I hope that dude used threadlockers for all the bolts/nuts. It was recommended by Daizen so it dont get loose.

Pete
Old 05-10-05, 10:18 AM
GS300t
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PHML
I hope that dude used threadlockers for all the bolts/nuts. It was recommended by Daizen so it dont get loose.

Pete
Yeah, next time I get a lift to use I'll probably just redo the whole damn installation to make sure everything was done right. I gave him the instructions, but if he had a problem tightening the bolts in the first place, I doubt he used some LocTite...

Quick Reply: Daizen Sways Problems