Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

brake caliper replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-04, 06:22 PM
clivej
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default brake caliper replacement

Hi ,guys,
I am replaceing the drivers side front brake caliper this week end. (DIY project) Is there anything i should be especially concerned about. ie. the brake line and posible air mixing with the fluid. I have read bananaGS's DIY but it only says "you can remove the caliper to paint it", no details on wether there is concern with my fears. Has anybody done this or seen it done on a 98 GS400.
Thanks for your input.
Clive.
Old 04-28-04, 07:19 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you remove the caliper you will have to bleed the brakes

its nothing major but is a two man procedure unless you buy the self bleeding kit

if you can just need to clamp off the brake line so the fluid doesnt get all over the place
Old 04-28-04, 09:21 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

If you are gonna go thru all the trouble, you should just upgrade to the big brakes hehehehhee.
Old 04-29-04, 01:29 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Re: brake caliper replacement

Originally posted by clivej
Hi ,guys,
I am replaceing the drivers side front brake caliper this week end. (DIY project) Is there anything i should be especially concerned about. ie. the brake line and posible air mixing with the fluid. I have read bananaGS's DIY but it only says "you can remove the caliper to paint it", no details on wether there is concern with my fears. Has anybody done this or seen it done on a 98 GS400.
Thanks for your input.
Clive.
i have seen it done so many times on the car already. when you put in the new calipers, you will need to bleed the whole brake system again. you need to know how to bleed it and the order is very importrant too
Old 04-29-04, 04:06 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

when you disconnect that caliper make sure you have some paper towel ready , twist a small piece of the towel so you can sort of plug the brake line , dont let the brake res run empty or you will have a heck of time trying to bleed system ..

when you disconnect caliper , also make sure you are using a new crush washer and use a trq wrench and trq it back to 20lbs .. dont over trq it for you will do more then crush the crush washer .. when bleeding you only need to do the fronts for the rears are kinda in sep zones providing you did not open the rears.. make sure eng is on or at least acc switch is on to open abs circuit , fill the res with fluid and bleed , 5 pumps , never all the to the floor (it could damage master cyl) and on the 5 pump hold and open bleeder screw and close before partner releases pedal

hope i was not rambling hope some of this helps and good luck to ya
Old 04-29-04, 07:37 AM
clivej
Pole Position

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your help, I even got got what i needed without asking (20 lbs torque). Is there a step by step order to this procedure. Do i need to remove the brake line first ect.
Thanks again for the help.
Clive.
PS. Big brake kit = Big brake kit money. nice to have but in the overall scheme of things for me, not necessary.

Last edited by clivej; 04-29-04 at 07:43 AM.