Southwest For events in Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas.

Sema??????

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-09, 01:02 PM
Iocca
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sema??????

anyone going to sema? Also, does anyone know how to get a ticket? I have never been and would love to go this year!
Old 08-11-09, 10:05 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

I have gone before, and have friends who go every year. It's quite an event!

I can get a media or industry passes for myself, but it's not open to the general public unless you work in the industry. If you have a connection, though, it's not horribly expensive. Last I checked a couple years ago, tickets were only about $20.

IMO - SEMA = a great show to see a ton of the aftermarket, but it's mostly the high volume stuff. I personally enjoy CES much more.

Big Mack
Old 08-11-09, 10:23 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I went back in 2006, it was an amazing experience.
Old 08-12-09, 03:00 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I expect to be going this year.
Old 08-12-09, 03:03 PM
jserman
Rookie

I went last year.....3 days of walking walking walking walking......and yea it's not open to general public.....need to have a hook up in the auto industry... and I plan on going again this year... and I think it cost like 15 bucks for the 3 day pass.....
Old 08-21-09, 10:37 PM
Selvarace
Driver School Candidate

I am a SEMA Alumni Member, I have been there the past 8 or so years. Its only open to people "in The Automotive Business", but many people find other ways to get in. They do require badges be displayed at all times. The badges can be purchased through the SEMA website for $25, but there are requirements. The $25 covers the badge and the badge is good for all 4 days of the show. The requirements are that you prove that you own or operate an automotive business. They have been getting stricter lately. In 2007 and 2008 even though I have been an alumni member for years, they asked me to verify my employees as actual employees with documents (tax forms or insurance forms). So far this year they havent asked to verify, maybe its random. Im supposed to only allow myself and my store manager and 2 other employees maximum register to attend, but last year I registered 3 employees and they didnt have a problem. Thats the technicalities of it.

As far as the show itself, its fantastic! All the new upcoming parts and accessories, wheels and electronics will be displayed by the manufacturers and distributors. There are car demonstrations, drift , time attack, street and hot rods. Last year Lexus let you register to take a brand new IS-F on a closed track to push the vehicles to the limit. Tire companies have cars on a track where you can test the grip and handling of their newest tires. Theres lots of pretty models posing for pictures with the hottest race cars. Its always been a great way to imagine if there was a heaven for car enthusiasts. The only thing I can add is that in 2007 there were a lot fewer of the manufacturers with big fancy displays. They cited bad economy in the US and Japan. Last year was even worse. Many manufacturers didnt even show up. Again because the parts and accessory sales were way down. I can only imagine this year, maybe they wont bring parts, only pictures of parts! Well, I dont think it will be that bad.

If youd like to be assured of getting in, talk to your favorite shop or if you know someone with an auto sound shop, auto window tinting, auto repair or tuner shop, then see if they can add you as an employee and pay the $25. If you have any other questions, let me know, Im happy to help.

Ben
Old 08-22-09, 12:55 AM
wayneside
Driver

one of the greatest experiences...should be back again. if you go...you will have a great time. bring comfortable shoes...
Old 08-22-09, 01:52 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wayneside
bring comfortable shoes...
Oh my!! I did forget that, fo sho. You will ABSOLUTELY want good comfortable walking shoes and plenty of socks. I would definitely recommend bringing several pairs of shoes so that your feet get a break, or your dogs will be barking at the end of the second day like there is no way on Earf they will go anywhere else.

Big Mack
Old 08-22-09, 10:28 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

And make sure to bring a duffel bag for all the free magazines and random stuff you will get! I came home with about 20 pounds of stuff.
Old 08-23-09, 12:35 AM
wayneside
Driver

Originally Posted by Luxor
And make sure to bring a duffel bag for all the free magazines and random stuff you will get! I came home with about 20 pounds of stuff.
very true...one year i came home with new seats...lol
Old 08-24-09, 12:51 PM
Selvarace
Driver School Candidate

We take one of the those back packs with the little roller wheels on the bottom. Yes, I also bring two pairs of shoes and socks each day. If you go through half the day with the first pair, then change to second pair at lunch time, youre feet feel refeshed with the new shoes and socks! =)
Old 08-24-09, 09:52 PM
Big C
Pole Position

I've gone the last 3 years. Its ok, but once you've seen it once its all the same after that. I highly doubt I'm going this year.

For the people going for the first time all I can say is bring some damn comfortable shoes. 6-8 hours of walking ALL day sucks a$$!!
Old 08-25-09, 12:32 AM
Iocca
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Big C
I've gone the last 3 years. Its ok, but once you've seen it once its all the same after that. I highly doubt I'm going this year.

For the people going for the first time all I can say is bring some damn comfortable shoes. 6-8 hours of walking ALL day sucks a$$!!
Tell robert I'll take ur place lol.
Old 08-25-09, 04:18 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i doubt i'll be going. the current economy has caused some companies to pull back and the administrative forces behind SEMA have really been pushing attendance due to many people/companies bailing out.

honestly, if you have been to SEMA before, I predict this year's event to be a less impressive than past years. if it's your first time, prepare to be wowed next year and in 2011.