Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

new members are killing my CL experience!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-05, 01:11 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new members are killing my CL experience!!!

What the hell is up with all the damn repetitive questions being posted on the forum nowadays???? It's like we've been invaded by people who don't understand that most topics on discontinued models of vehicles have been covered a zillion times already!!! They refuse to search but will post a simple repetitive question in a new thread in a heartbeat. It's sheer laziness and it's starting to seriously bother me. I know I'm not alone. Why isn't there a rule in place that says new members can't start threads for their first 2 weeks of membership? This isn't to bash new members but moreso to vent my frustrations over their utter lack of understanding. Look in the SC300/400 section and see how many threads are started by people who are new with less than 10 total posts, look at the questions they're asking...please people...how can we stop this trend?

I like this forum but the newer members are forcing me to avoid this site from time to time unfortunately. They're disrespectful to longer tenured members, refuse to search for their answers, and would rather make a thread asking, "do Supra wheels fit on an SC?" and "Hey, I'm thinking about swapping in a GTE engine, anyone here done that?" instead of simple searching and reading

What the heck can we do about this? Seriously...I'm about to throw my damn computer out the window if I see one more silly repetitive basic question
Old 08-29-05, 01:14 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

I agree with the overall sentiment. People do need to search, and do need to quit being smart elics, however it is the process of being new. We welcome all new members to ask questions and learn, but we encourage the old school to help them learn also.

It is frustrating, but I can deal with it as long as they stay respectful. I'm glad to help. It's when the smart tounge comes out that I have a problem......... and so do they .
Old 08-29-05, 01:20 PM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeloc24
What the hell is up with all the damn repetitive questions being posted on the forum nowadays???? It's like we've been invaded by people who don't understand that most topics on discontinued models of vehicles have been covered a zillion times already!!! They refuse to search but will post a simple repetitive question in a new thread in a heartbeat. It's sheer laziness and it's starting to seriously bother me. I know I'm not alone. Why isn't there a rule in place that says new members can't start threads for their first 2 weeks of membership? This isn't to bash new members but moreso to vent my frustrations over their utter lack of understanding. Look in the SC300/400 section and see how many threads are started by people who are new with less than 10 total posts, look at the questions they're asking...please people...how can we stop this trend?

I like this forum but the newer members are forcing me to avoid this site from time to time unfortunately. They're disrespectful to longer tenured members, refuse to search for their answers, and would rather make a thread asking, "do Supra wheels fit on an SC?" and "Hey, I'm thinking about swapping in a GTE engine, anyone here done that?" instead of simple searching and reading

What the heck can we do about this? Seriously...I'm about to throw my damn computer out the window if I see one more silly repetitive basic question

Your right, there have been alot of repetitive, and mundane topics covered recently in several forums on the site. But with out new people, we would be a dying breed. We must extend our knowledge and love so they too can understand the culture of ClubLexus... The "no post starting ability for your first 2 weeks would be nice..." but what if we get somebody like streetking on here, who in a matter of just a few weeks had a hell of an SC to debut to the world? So I really don't know how we could fix that problem.
Old 08-29-05, 01:23 PM
Lvangundy

I think compiling and stickying more topics would help a lot.

Old 08-29-05, 01:32 PM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow this bothers you huh? Why not just ignore all those threads? I mean it isnt like they are trying to **** you off directly, they are just new and dont know any better.
Old 08-29-05, 01:33 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

there's already a sticky on top about searching. More stickies aren't going to help.
Old 08-29-05, 01:43 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexis11
Wow this bothers you huh? Why not just ignore all those threads? I mean it isnt like they are trying to **** you off directly, they are just new and dont know any better.
It's the lack of a secondary layer of thought that bothers me. The first layer of thought says, "I have a question and I want an answer to it"...and the secondary layer should be, "hmm...and since I'm NOT the only person with this vehicle I probably am NOT the only person with this problem/question, that being the case I should do some research first" It's that secondary layer that's missing for whatever reason. And it's missing because of laziness. People simply want an instant answer and don't want to take the time to actually read and do their own homework.

It's not possible to ignore the threads for me. As an "active" member, I go into the SC300/400 section specifically looking to answer questions and help people to avoid mistakes I've already made, that's why we're here. But it gets frustrating seeing some of the things people are asking. Like I said to someone else, it would be different if their car wasn't starting and they made a thread asking for help or what they should be looking for. I understand that. When in those situations you want to get your car running and back on the road asap, and being in a panic sometimes you can't think and absorb information as easily. But when you're asking about Supra wheels fitting on SC's, asking if anyone here has done a GTE swap, asking where you can get a damn spoiler, etc..it gets annoying very quickly. It's that laziness coupled with the lack of respect shown to older members which caused me to start this thread. I can't tell you the amount of times I've seen someone with extremely limited knowledge (not to mention an extremely low post count) get into a verbal spat with an older more established member. It's just ridiculous at this point.

-M.
Old 08-29-05, 01:45 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe we could formalize a FAQ sticky on each model forum like the excellent piece Daddy-O put together on the RX 300 forum. Assuming we can actually get people to read the post, this idea could eliminate a lot of repetitive posts. It could be broken down into several separate threads - electronics, drivetrain, suspension & brakes, etc. for those models with a large number of FAQ's.
Old 08-29-05, 01:51 PM
C-Train
Lead Lap

what about a little note by the post reply button saying "search before you ask, chances are it's been asked before"
Old 08-29-05, 01:55 PM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

It's the lack of a secondary layer of thought that bothers me. The first layer of thought says, "I have a question and I want an answer to it"...and the secondary layer should be, "hmm...and since I'm NOT the only person with this vehicle I probably am NOT the only person with this problem/question, that being the case I should do some research first" It's that secondary layer that's missing for whatever reason. And it's missing because of laziness. People simply want an instant answer and don't want to take the time to actually read and do their own homework.
But maybe they dont even know there is a search feature???? I am not trying to break your *****, just trying to figure out how to fix the problem. Maybe it is more so in the sc forum because in the gs forum there isn;t that much of this stuff going on. I don't know maybe I am just nieve?

I am a pretty active member myself and you always seem pleasant, just find it weird that this bothers you so much. I am not saying you are unpleasant but just dont this stuff bother you so much, much worse things in life.
Old 08-29-05, 02:03 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But maybe they dont even know there is a search feature???? I am not trying to break your *****, just trying to figure out how to fix the problem. Maybe it is more so in the sc forum because in the gs forum there isn;t that much of this stuff going on. I don't know maybe I am just nieve?

I am a pretty active member myself and you always seem pleasant, just find it weird that this bothers you so much. I am not saying you are unpleasant but just dont this stuff bother you so much, much worse things in life.

shut up
Old 08-29-05, 02:07 PM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

shut up
ah eat it.
Old 08-29-05, 02:12 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ah eat it.

Jeff spend some time reading in the SC forum

i think youll get the bigger picture
Old 08-29-05, 02:34 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Me, 1SICK, and FLip were talkin bout this last nite. How about incorporating my satirical image into EVERY new member's INBOX when they get the activation e-mail? Make the image BIG so that these people SEE IT.
Old 08-29-05, 02:40 PM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NYLexSC
Me, 1SICK, and FLip were talkin bout this last nite. How about incorporating my satirical image into EVERY new member's INBOX when they get the activation e-mail? Make the image BIG so that these people SEE IT.

HAHA Nice man

Quick Reply: new members are killing my CL experience!!!