IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Grom V line vs Vaistech infotainment

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-17, 10:31 PM
Lev
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Grom V line vs Vaistech infotainment

Just curious if I should go for the Grom V Line or Vaistech in my 08 ISF. Is it worth switching from my beloved iPhone 6S to an android to enjoy the benefits of the infotainment features of the Grom V line or Vaitech? Are these units compatible with my iPhone 6S? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-05-17, 06:57 AM
TREE
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the vaistech iVIC 6i for the iPhone. I really like it. The main thing I use it for is playing pandora radio or music from my iPhone library. It does have the weather, calendar and map that you can use as well. I play with those every now and then but not much. It seems as if the grom unit has more features definitely but still some issues from what I have been reading. I have not had any issues with the vaistech. It works great but mainly just for music in my opinion. The map function does work good though just don't need it much.
The following users liked this post:
Lev (02-05-17)
Old 02-05-17, 12:02 PM
N2LEX2L
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...to add another choice, don't forget Beatsonic. One of the three will soon replace the aux cable I have been using. The Grom thread here however, is slowly making me exclude it from the list.
Lev (02-05-17)
Old 02-05-17, 01:58 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Have you read this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...rom-vline.html

Lou
Lev (02-05-17)
Old 02-05-17, 07:34 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

I dont have either but I'd say from what I noticed is that the vaistech doesnt rely on you to have a hotspot to run apps where as the GROM does. Coming from a grandfathered unlimited data iphone where I can't tether I'd say that's a deal breaker for me and the GROM.
Old 02-05-17, 09:02 PM
Lev
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the input guys! Huge Iphone/Apple fan here and verizon customer with limited data plan. The Grom V line intrigues me as it will allow me to to keep my current iPhone and move to T mobile unlimited plan and the sync and drive system as my hot spot for the V Line. The V line is an android powered stand alone unit and only needs wifi to operate. The T mobile Sync and Drive software looks pretty sweet too! I will try to remain patient with the bugs and looks like grom audio is addressing issues.
Old 02-08-17, 04:11 PM
wildta
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lev
Thanks for the input guys! Huge Iphone/Apple fan here and verizon customer with limited data plan. The Grom V line intrigues me as it will allow me to to keep my current iPhone and move to T mobile unlimited plan and the sync and drive system as my hot spot for the V Line. The V line is an android powered stand alone unit and only needs wifi to operate. The T mobile Sync and Drive software looks pretty sweet too! I will try to remain patient with the bugs and looks like grom audio is addressing issues.
Definitely subscribe to this thread before purchasing Grom vline:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-vline-26.html

I'm quite active on it and I would highly suggest you wait until Grom irons out the bugs.
Lev (02-09-17)
Old 02-09-17, 06:12 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Which one would be the best to mirror the Waze app from an Iphone 6S on to my NAV screen?
Old 01-22-18, 11:35 AM
BertK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys! I search for the Vaistec Ivic products but they seem to be discontinued.. Do somebody know where to find it for a 2008 Lexus IS, even in used condition?

Thanks!
Old 01-22-18, 01:39 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by BertK
Hey guys! I search for the Vaistec Ivic products but they seem to be discontinued.. Do somebody know where to find it for a 2008 Lexus IS, even in used condition?

Thanks!
I see them come up in the classifieds a lot

I have the ivic5, if you want it really badly I'll sell it to you for 420$
( this is exactly what i purchased -
Amazon Amazon
)
Old 01-22-18, 01:56 PM
BertK
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vraa
I see them come up in the classifieds a lot

I have the ivic5, if you want it really badly I'll sell it to you for 420$
( this is exactly what i purchased - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )
ok thanks a lot, i didn't decide if i will go either with Grom or Vaistech, but i'll message you if I find the right system for me.
Old 01-22-18, 02:02 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by BertK
ok thanks a lot, i didn't decide if i will go either with Grom or Vaistech, but i'll message you if I find the right system for me.
No problem, for what it's worth, the price I gave you is the total price I paid haha

I like the iVic but my biggest complaint isn't the ivic module, but the Apple HDMI -> Lightning adapter
It kept dying on me, I went to the apple store many times to get replacements, I ended up having my shop put the adapter cable in side my center console, and got a lightning extension cable to run out from there and plug the extension cable into my phone instead of the adapter cable into my phone

Apparently the adapters don't like to be flexed that much

I really like how my phone charges AND transmits the video feed to my navigation unit (but I don't really use the mirroring ability that much)
Sometimes I wish I got the bluetooth version instead so I don't have to deal with any cables, but all in all I'm satisfied with the iVic 5i

The shop I like to use suggests the Grom, but I've been following the mega thread and I'm not impressed with it in the current state I'll see what the next version is like - but I don't have high hopes (not due to grom, but due to Android). I used to use android but I switched to iOS. I never liked Android that much. To be fair - Carplay sucks. I used it in a Mercedes GLS and it was one of the worst experiences I've ever had. I couldn't get my google maps to load, only the crappy apple maps. This eco system lock in is terrible. Too bad we don't have legit trust busting to break up these companies but I digress
Old 01-23-18, 03:58 PM
BertK
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vraa
No problem, for what it's worth, the price I gave you is the total price I paid haha

I like the iVic but my biggest complaint isn't the ivic module, but the Apple HDMI -> Lightning adapter
It kept dying on me, I went to the apple store many times to get replacements, I ended up having my shop put the adapter cable in side my center console, and got a lightning extension cable to run out from there and plug the extension cable into my phone instead of the adapter cable into my phone

Apparently the adapters don't like to be flexed that much

I really like how my phone charges AND transmits the video feed to my navigation unit (but I don't really use the mirroring ability that much)
Sometimes I wish I got the bluetooth version instead so I don't have to deal with any cables, but all in all I'm satisfied with the iVic 5i

The shop I like to use suggests the Grom, but I've been following the mega thread and I'm not impressed with it in the current state I'll see what the next version is like - but I don't have high hopes (not due to grom, but due to Android). I used to use android but I switched to iOS. I never liked Android that much. To be fair - Carplay sucks. I used it in a Mercedes GLS and it was one of the worst experiences I've ever had. I couldn't get my google maps to load, only the crappy apple maps. This eco system lock in is terrible. Too bad we don't have legit trust busting to break up these companies but I digress
Thanks for the details! I read a lot of thread on this subject and I'm not sure I wanted to pay 400$ for a non-finish product... I found the Grom USB 3 and the Vaistech SL3b. Its less than 200$ but you dont get google maps, only bluetooth streaming and control via the touchscreen.
not that bad
Old 01-24-18, 05:09 PM
s2kjer
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Supposedly Grom is coming out with a new version VL2 in the near future. I would hold off till it is released to make a decision.

In general VL2 will be pretty much the same unit. 3x faster CPU, 2GB RAM, HDMI in/out, 5G Wifi. It will be Android 7.1 based.