Included Components (all you need)

Remove your head unit.
Great video here for 2 gens
Use Video for details
Broad strokes below

1) Remove trim and shift ****. Use plastic tools
Remove shift **** and trim pieces
Remove air vents. Pull little clips down
Unscrew Head Unit. Two bolts up top. Two at bottom 10mm. Will need long extension for bottom.
Before - Plug in wires are instructed in instructions. (only two wires) Very easy
After
Before - Plug in wires are instructed in instructions. (only two wires) Very easy
After
Run wires behind dash and plug into console. Recommend either through Glove Box or Down on floor. (spot way at back of Passenger foot rest you can put wires through.
Plug ends of wires into vline box. Instructions are clear here. Very easy.
I would test before installing head unit.
Comes with some apps (not on this screen) but pretty clean. No spamware
Connect to your phones hotspot or a wifi connection if you lucky enough to have one available.
Playing some test music.
Installing updates and Playstore Google apps (called Gapps here)
Downloading is faster then expected on LTE
Play store!
Pandora is rolling
Google Maps is up
Special Notes:

Install tip.

There are only two wires that go from the Vline unit to your lexus unit. You can pull these through a hole way in the corner of the passenger foot rest and the center console. In a 2nd Gen IS350 anyway

What I liked

1) Bluetooth Connection
Quick setup and works great after that. I turn on my car, pull out of parking spot and its all just connected, the speakers start playing whatever i'm playing on my phone. Don't have to click on anything. So far works with everything, spotify, pandora, games etc. Did not have to install any special app for this. Usually connects between 25 and 40 seconds from car start. Remember this includes the car actually starting, and the system booting up. Boot up time can vary with the number of apps installed.

2) Wifi Connection
Connects to my phones wifi hotspot without any action by me. The bluetooth usually beats the wifi by about 10 seconds.

3) Delivery
Good packaging, everything there, instructions clear and easy to read. Also complete with all details in you need including installing google app store. I like that it comes really clean, just a few basic apps. No spamware etc. Painless install.

4) Overall System
It's promises to be Android for your car and it delivers on that. Its only as good as the apps you install, but the system itself is quick and I could not find bugs. (just one mentioned below, that's more of lacking feature then a bug)

5) Would I buy it again? Yes for sure.

Stuff I didn't like.
1) This feature / bug got me. If you do not have a paid spotify account. Upgrade your account BEFORE adding to Vline. If you add a free spotify account to vline and then pay for premium, vline will not update with that information. It will still maintain that you have a free account. You also cannot delete the account. This is fixible with a factory reset which wipes the accounts (and other stuff).

Easy fix though be Sure to upgrade to premium BEFORE adding to Vline

2) Box did NOT include winning lotto ticket.

Last edited by all06is350; 04-29-17 at 04:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SJM (08-19-21)
Old 04-29-17, 04:43 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Looks cool... This is is meant to be a replacement for stock navigation interface?
Old 04-29-17, 08:05 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanO
Looks cool... This is is meant to be a replacement for stock navigation interface?
It's more of an addition to the stock nav. You get into it by hitting the cd button a few times I believe. You can still use the stock nav if need be. My understanding is the audio settings and climate are still controlled from stock software. That's my assumption from watching their videos and the description at least. Probably the biggest thing for most people with 06-09's is the built in bluetooth that allows a2dp playback (music).

OP, don't these come with mics and antennas? Where'd you mount them?

I did e-mail Grom and they say their CarPlay is still pending certification from Apple. The version of Android that Grom is running on VLine (5.1.1) may or may not be updated in the future.
Old 04-29-17, 08:50 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,312 Posts

This thread should be of interest here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...rom-vline.html

Lou
Old 05-02-17, 06:05 PM
all06is350
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Zmon
It's more of an addition to the stock nav. You get into it by hitting the cd button a few times I believe. You can still use the stock nav if need be. My understanding is the audio settings and climate are still controlled from stock software. That's my assumption from watching their videos and the description at least. Probably the biggest thing for most people with 06-09's is the built in bluetooth that allows a2dp playback (music).

OP, don't these come with mics and antennas? Where'd you mount them?

I did e-mail Grom and they say their CarPlay is still pending certification from Apple. The version of Android that Grom is running on VLine (5.1.1) may or may not be updated in the future.
Right! Kinda forgot about that. I'm not really into the "voice activated" just a slow adopter I guess so I probably wont be mounting the mike. Although I should mention it does have that capability for those interested. I looks like it can just clip on one of the vents if you wanted.

The Antenna I just have resting on the console right now. Once I have a chance Ill think of a better place. Ill probably post a short followup in the future with these two things installed for sake of completeness.

SeanO, Zmon is right on the money, this is an add on. It connects to your phone automatically (even if you don't press anything) but if you want to actually use the unit you have to press the disc button to cycle through to get to it. All your original OEM features are still fully operational.

If your thinking about it, get it. It's awesome, makes my old car feel new again . Honestly i haven't been using the apps much on my short trips but I use the A2DP every single time I get into the car. Had a problem with charging phones while using the 3.5 jack with terrible noisy interference, no longer
gromaudio (07-14-23)
Old 07-13-23, 08:29 PM
11Es350Lex
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Mounted Grom in passenger footwell 3GS easy!

This is how I tied my wires, I cut square wire pass throughs 4x4" and Velcroed the Grom box to the bottom of plastic footwell panel. Used thicker wire and tapped my wire and pulled them through behind the dash, had them come out where the foot well light plug in, tps sensor button and something else

The following 2 users liked this post by 11Es350Lex:
gromaudio (07-14-23), Protholl (07-14-23)
Old 07-14-23, 03:25 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 144 Likes on 115 Posts

We have a group buy for VLine VL2 CarPlay and Android Auto integration, going on now! The group discount is $120 off the VLine VL2 system and $70 off the VLite VT2. The group ordering period will end on July 20th, and the product will ship after August 3rd.

If you would like to join the group order, send us DM with your email address. We will add you to the group order list.
Alx312 (07-19-23)