Search this Thread

Old 08-06-22, 08:00 PM
Harleygirl
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Thank you for all your help

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
Jeff

Congrats on the installation. Glad it worked out for you and everything is up and running as it should be.

Dennis
Hi Dennis,
Hope you are doing well!
Ty so much for all the help!
I appreciate it!
I have been working on this issue
on and off since I purchased and picked up the car 3/11/22!
You and our clublexus community
has been so helpful and informative.
I was in other car clubs in the 80’s and the people were overall snobs and selfish. Paul and Daryl were very helpful also!!
Have a super Sunday and week.
Happy motoring!

Best,

Jeff aka Harleygirl
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_3116.MOV (10.23 MB, 24 views)
Old 01-24-23, 12:09 PM
degmla
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I totally respect and appreciate those of you that do so much to repair your toys as inexpensively as possible. There was a time when I did the same. But for those of you who have a little less time and a little more money, I suggest the following strategy.

First, my failure point was not the motor. Nor was it the push button. It was the little toggle switch (red arrow pointing to that little brown thing). When the door travels forward (closes), the switch is pushed to the back (the green arrow shows the front gate). Conversely, when the door travels backwards (opens), the switch is pushed to the front. {Note: forward and backward is relative to the picture. If relating to the vehicle, it would be reversed -- door going forward is opening} That is how the door controller knows where your door is, thus which way to drive the motor. I drilled a 1/2" diameter hole in the plastic piece (below where the green arrow is) and I could see the broken piece. Someone mentioned a laser, or infrared, but I doubt that is the case since you'd need two to know which side of travel you are (open or closed). I could be wrong, but I think everyone has this same type of mechanical switch set-up.

The answer for me: order part 55406-24040. It is the entire radio door assembly sans the decorative cover. It comes with new clips and screws for the cover, so just reuse your cover. I was able to have mine delivered for $425 (found an online JDM trader, Amayama). It did take almost 3 weeks. But now you'll have a new switch, a new button, a new motor, and a new PLC.

Good luck!!

Last edited by degmla; 01-24-23 at 12:13 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 03-02-23, 02:01 PM
Steelie87
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like this is my problem. I didn’t even think about checking the light and bought a new switch. Put the new switch in and no luck with the door but see that the light doesn’t go on. I must not have plugged in that cable you mention. Looking at the front of the radio, where would that cable plug in?
Old 03-02-23, 04:51 PM
wlg
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I just bought my first 430. 2004. Extensive service history , well cared for. The only issue is the non functioning radio door. Stuck in the up position. I noticed that the push button does not light up with the head lights on. I assume that means no power to the switch. The previous owner mentioned that he had spilled a coke in the radio direction. He had the radio replaced but I believe the switch wasn't connected properly or is gunked up. Any thoughts on this? Thanks much.
Old 03-02-23, 06:39 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 413 Posts

This is a common problem. Often, the cable did not get plug in. Easy fix, just remove the wood cover the console, you’ll see the small 2 wire cable with small white connector. Plug it in.
Old 03-03-23, 08:26 AM
Steelie87
3rd Gear

Are these the cables you are talking about? The one on the left goes to the new switch that does not appear to be getting power…light doesn’t go on.
Old 03-05-23, 12:21 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 460 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Steelie87

Are these the cables you are talking about? The one on the left goes to the new switch that does not appear to be getting power…light doesn’t go on.
No, it is much easier than that. Watch the first 80 seconds of this video and it will show you how to unplug the cable (just do the reverse) He doesn't say what the cable is, but that is your radio Door switch cable,

Old 03-12-23, 05:46 PM
Steelie87
3rd Gear

I watched the video and the cable I see removed provides power to the cigarette lighter, not the switch for the radio door. At least that is how my 2003 is set up. I continued to pull out my radio and discovered I forgot to connect a cable to the connection in the back of the other two connections shown in my picture. When I found the cable and plugged it in, it provided the power to the left cable connection in the picture that leads to the door switch. That was the solution to why my switch wasn’t working…and I bought a new switch for nothing. Oh well, live and learn.
Old 03-13-23, 02:57 PM
wlg
Rookie

Great info. I'm anxious for it to be above 40 outside so I can start playing around with this.
Thanks!
Old 03-13-23, 05:24 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 413 Posts

I watched the video and the cable I see removed provides power to the cigarette lighter, not the switch for the radio door. At least that is how my 2003 is set up. I continued to pull out my radio and discovered I forgot to connect a cable to the connection in the back of the other two connections shown in my picture. When I found the cable and plugged it in, it provided the power to the left cable connection in the picture that leads to the door switch. That was the solution to why my switch wasn’t working…and I bought a new switch for nothing. Oh well, live and learn.
Where is your switch located? Isn't it on the console? Please show the photo of yours.

Last edited by GmanSC; 03-13-23 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-20-23, 02:08 PM
wlg
Rookie

I found my issue. I disassembled the console area and noticed the door switch had fallen apart. The little circuit board that has the connector , light and actual switch was loose from it's plastic housing. Pressing the switch itself does activate the door just fine now. I just need to see how the switch is supposed to go all back together.

Last edited by wlg; 03-20-23 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-20-23, 03:37 PM
wlg
Rookie

Sounds like this is my problem. I didn’t even think about checking the light and bought a new switch. Put the new switch in and no luck with the door but see that the light doesn’t go on. I must not have plugged in that cable you mention. Looking at the front of the radio, where would that cable plug in?
Looks like I need a new switch. The rear cover that holds the circuit board in is broken. Where would I go to find one?
Old 03-20-23, 05:30 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 460 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by wlg
Looks like I need a new switch. The rear cover that holds the circuit board in is broken. Where would I go to find one?
I would ask the guy from post #38 if he will sell you his extra one
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...l#post11465463 (5 posts up)
Old 03-21-23, 01:53 PM
wlg
Rookie

I used epoxy on the back cover so everything held in place. Success! My radio door works great now.