SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Homelink

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-22, 10:15 PM
Cavedog
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Homelink

Homelink won't program. No lights coming on. Anyone know where a fuse may be located. No fuse is specifically listed as homelink. I would like to check the fuse before tearing into the unit.
THanks
Old 03-25-22, 05:54 AM
oneround
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 103 Posts

The power is from the dome light fuse.

Old 03-25-22, 06:06 AM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 211 Likes on 103 Posts

That fuse is in the Passenger side kick panel fuse box.
Old 03-25-22, 06:53 AM
BuffMan
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

You might need the converter to your opener inside your garage depending on your opener. Here is link to what solved my problem:

LiftMaster 855lm Homelink Repeater Kit
Amazon Amazon
Old 03-25-22, 09:54 AM
Cinc04
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I struggled to get my Homelink to work. I made some notes on my experience. I'm not sure if it will help. When I purchased my 2004 Lexus SC430 one of the first things I tried to do was to get the Homelink system to work. This HomeLink is basically just a built-in garage door opener remote located at the overhead courtesy light area.
The system has 3 programmable buttons and an indicator light. I tried all 3 buttons and never got an indicator light. I thought it must not be functional. An SC430 owner mentioned in an online post that the indicator light is very faint and hard to see. I pulled my car into the dark garage and hit the buttons and sure enough, the indicator light did work.
So, I attempted to program the vehicle's Homelink. The instructions are in the owners’ manual and there are videos online describing the procedure. The first step is to clear the existing codes. This is done by pressing and holding the two outer buttons. The indicator light will flash slowly and then start flashing rapidly when the codes are cleared. This will take 20 seconds or so. The 2nd step is to take the existing garage door opener remote and press and hold the opener button. At the same time press and hold one of the three Homelink buttons. Again you will get a flashing light and when the Homelink system syncs with the remote, you will get a rapidly flashing indicator light.
In doing some research I found that because most of the newer garage door openers use a security feature called a “rolling frequency”, you may need to do one last step. You will need to find the “Learn” button on your opener and press that button. You will have 30 seconds to then go back to your car and press the button you have chosen to activate the garage door opener. Press for a few seconds and you may have to press the button two or three times. The garage door opener will activate.
This all sounds great, but my Homelink would still not sync up with the garage door opener. Again, in doing some research, it appears that the Homelink in the SC430 will not sync up with some of the newest garage door openers. There is a work-a-round. There is a device called a Homelink Bridge or a repeater. This device will “bridge” between your Homelink and most of the newer garage door openers.
I found this device (Liftmaster 855lm Chamberlain OEM Homelink Compatibility Bridge) on Amazon and it was relatively inexpensive. There are two components. One is the bridge that you plug into a 120V outlet. It needs to be close to your opener. I plugged mine into the same ceiling outlet that my opener is plugged into. The second device is a garage door opener remote that “communicates” to the bridge.
Programming is very similar to the initial programming. I first cleared the codes in the Homelink. I pressed the button on the bridge remote and at the same time pressed one of the Homelink buttons and waited for the devices to sync. I then hit the “Learn” button on the opener and then the designated button on the Homelink to sync.
This syncing can sometimes be a little finicky. You may have to hold the button for 2 or 3 seconds and you may have to hit it 2 or 3 times, but it does work, or in my case, it worked.
To open the door, I do have to hold the Homelink button for 2 or 3 seconds and/or hit the button again. Some of the reviews indicate that the remote’s range is reduced, but I really haven’t noticed that problem.
The following 3 users liked this post by Cinc04:
1NEAT_SC (03-26-22), BuffMan (05-12-22), user 720820 (06-02-22)
Old 03-25-22, 11:04 AM
Cavedog
Pit Crew

My interior light works so I need to check into the unit itself. Loose wire, dirty connection. I'm on my third LS sitting in the same garage. No problem programming them. No problem with my wife's RX either. It would be nice to get the remote off the visor. Thanks to you all.
Old 03-25-22, 03:48 PM
mostrogt3
Driver

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts

Gotta try this again.

Did not know about the "bridge" product.

Hummm
Old 03-25-22, 05:24 PM
Cavedog
Pit Crew

I've heard of it. If the lights lit up on transmitter it may have an outside chance of helping. Four other Lexus have worked but not this one. I'll check the transmitter first. Thanks
Old 03-26-22, 05:07 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 186 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Cavedog
I've heard of it. If the lights lit up on transmitter it may have an outside chance of helping. Four other Lexus have worked but not this one. I'll check the transmitter first. Thanks
I can tell you that when I first bought my SC in 09 I didn't think the light for the door opener buttons was working either. I took the car to a Lexus dealer and they took me into a dark area and showed me that it was and it was just very dim. They said all of the SCs are like that. Yours may be working also.
Old 03-26-22, 04:06 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 876 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by Cavedog
Homelink won't program. No lights coming on. Anyone know where a fuse may be located. No fuse is specifically listed as homelink. I would like to check the fuse before tearing into the unit.
THanks
has it ever worked?
do you have the bridge/repeater for older versions of Homelink?

I know my 2002 SC430 required the bridge and I think the 2007 SC430 did also.
Old 03-27-22, 06:06 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 553 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
has it ever worked?
do you have the bridge/repeater for older versions of Homelink?

I know my 2002 SC430 required the bridge and I think the 2007 SC430 did also.
What is bridge/repeater ? My homelink programed fine in my 07 SC.
Old 03-28-22, 10:23 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 411 Likes on 360 Posts

Some of the newer garage door openers will not recognize the Homelink in some of the SC430s. That's where a bridge comes into play. The bridge acts as a mediator between our car and the newer garage door openers. Fortunately, mine didn't require that.
Old 03-29-22, 06:56 AM
mandyfig

Received 415 Likes on 365 Posts

I have switched over to the app based garage door opener, get on with technology. I use my phone to open and close the garage and I get messages on the garage door status if it changes. If somebody opens or closes it, I get an instant message. And since I have a camera mounted on the driveway I can confirm status. I find this tool indispensable nowadays.
Old 03-29-22, 08:28 AM
oneround
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I have switched over to the app based garage door opener, get on with technology. I use my phone to open and close the garage and I get messages on the garage door status if it changes. If somebody opens or closes it, I get an instant message. And since I have a camera mounted on the driveway I can confirm status. I find this tool indispensable nowadays.
I am doing the same. As a backup: I removed the ashtray and used that pocket to hold my Chamberlain remote which fits in nicely & the door closes.

Old 03-29-22, 04:17 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 876 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Originally Posted by oneround
I am doing the same. As a backup: I removed the ashtray and used that pocket to hold my Chamberlain remote which fits in nicely & the door closes.
The app also lets you put a “door checker” on the garage door operators…if my doors are open at 9pm, they will close automatically

Quick Reply: Homelink