SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Antenna conversion kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-21, 12:46 PM
SCBlack02
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna conversion kit

Has anyone ever tried the antenna conversion kit thru Antenna Source, converting to a manual antenna? Price I saw was around $59.00.
Old 08-15-21, 10:12 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Just a reminder that for you to convert to manual (if you meant fixed type), there's a little more things you will have to do. If you do a search, am sure you will get a few good hits. $59, that's too low for a full conversion. Any description?
Old 08-15-21, 11:08 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

I'm guessing that he meant this one.
http://www.theantennasource.com/LEXU...2-2010.html#1A
Old 08-15-21, 04:01 PM
SCBlack02
Driver School Candidate

You are correct sir! I'm a little skeptical of the 'ease' of installation. It can't be that easy! Initially I was curious if anyone else had tried this?
Old 08-16-21, 08:17 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

You will have to remove the old powered antenna and replace it with a stubby, means you will need to purchase a base antenna and a stubby antenna. Not hard but quite a few steps to get there but well worth it. Lots of threads on this. Good luck.
Old 08-16-21, 10:25 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 463 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by SCBlack02
I'm a little skeptical of the 'ease' of installation. It can't be that easy!
I bet it is. Replacing a broken mast is VERY easy. Pretty much this is the same, but you don't have to take the time to thread the plastic piece in the motor.
I think you would have to do the "optional" step and disconnect the power to the motor though, otherwise you will hear it running all the time.
Old 08-16-21, 11:07 AM
SCBlack02
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-08-22, 09:31 AM
BuffMan
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I purchased the conversion antenna sold by the antenna source, sent a couple of emails that were never responded to .... plus their instructions for installing on my 2007 SC430 proved to be erroneous + hardware did not fit properly.

Stay away from this product & company IMO.
The following users liked this post:
stubeeef (02-08-22)
Old 02-08-22, 03:53 PM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

I purchased the same retrofit at the beginning of the pandemic(200 yrs ago?) and had no problem with their instructions and product. I don't remember the owner but i did talk to him prior to ordering and he was very helpful. Took about 6-8 weeks to get up to Canada , IIRC, but that was because it got stuck in Chicago and like i said it was the start of this thing called Covid(Corona). Man, remember how upside down everything was back then?! I would think you would have it within a week but as i said give them a call. Many people here have used them. Good Luck!!
Old 02-17-22, 08:27 PM
JohnSenior
9th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SCBlack02
Has anyone ever tried the antenna conversion kit thru Antenna Source, converting to a manual antenna? Price I saw was around $59.00.
Just completed my conversion - super simple. You got to take the time to disconnect the power to the antenna - even that it simple just requires a little time and elbow grease
jrjmac1 (02-19-22)
Old 02-18-22, 04:34 AM
jrjmac1
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I recently purchased and installed this product. It took a little time and patience but the results were worth it. I get great reception and it looks fantastic. The hard part was opening the trunk panels to disconnect the power to the antenna. Every time I work on this car I’m impressed with the quality of this fine car, definitely ahead of it’s time.
JohnSenior (02-18-22)
Old 02-19-22, 08:33 AM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 103 Posts

So, I am asking WHY? Mine works fine. Is there any preventative maintenance to improve the life of the original?
Old 02-19-22, 08:55 AM
jrjmac1
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I changed mine for two reasons, first it dated the car to me. Second, I had an Alpine head unit installed and the antenna went up whenever the ignition was on no matter if the radio was off or not. I couldn’t take it through a car wash unless I turned the car of after putting it in neutral. It was a matter of time when I forgot and lost it in a car wash. I really didn’t like it extended all the time. The conversion was relatively easy and I think the stubby updated the look of these beautiful machines.
Old 02-19-22, 08:59 AM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 333 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by jimisbell
So, I am asking WHY? Mine works fine. Is there any preventative maintenance to improve the life of the original?
Sure. Preventative maintenance is always an option. Fully extend the antenna, clean and inspect the belt and apply new grease.
For the "Why" part, there are a couple of reasons I can think of. You never have to worry about the belt breaking. And if it actually fails, its $1500.00 new the last time I checked which means time, effort and $50-100 for a used one from the wrecking yard. I personally like the power antenna hiding 99% versus the stubby. But, some like the stubby look too. It's actually not a bad look. So. There you go.

Paul
The following 2 users liked this post by Raven01750:
jrjmac1 (03-13-22), The Ikon (03-18-22)
Old 03-17-22, 10:32 AM
BuffMan
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

This post is an update to my earlier post which was critical of the Antenna Source company ...

Despite the faulty/incomplete instructions & unresponsive support, their stubby antenna works fine as installed/outlined below:

After removing enough trunk liners to gain access, I removed the original motorized antenna unit completely and disconnected power, then removed/retained the tube part of that motor unit in which the cable ran that pushed up/down the older antenna; connected antenna lead from radio to that tube, then left the prev antenna compressed inside that tube, and then mounted only the tube from old motor to body held in place by external nut into which stubby is screwed.

The above sounds more complicates than it really is. The main point is to understand how the stubby antenna gets its signal from antenna lead from radio head as connected via tube holding previous compressed antenna.

Once you remove the motor, entirely and disconnect the tube you should see how the parts all fit.