SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Audio System Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-21, 09:31 PM
khuong
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Ahh that sucks man! Maybe call Lexus and see if they have paint pen for that Color.

I took my nav screen out and my god so many screws in the process of modifying the metal brackets going to be a pain
Old 07-18-21, 04:29 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 859 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by oneround
Good progress news: I pulled out the radio and nav screen today. Also ran am amp turn-on wire, a power cable, plus 4 channels of RCA cables from trunk up to the passenger side kick panel. Oh, and I pulled out the ML woofer and replaced it with a shallow mount 8" Pioneer woofer. Not the greatest woofer in the world, but should be enough for the interior size of the SC (and I'm guessing an actual small upgrade from the OEM speakers). Was able to reuse the OEM plastic woofer mount to the rear "firewall (?)". Had to quit to take one of my kids to the airport.

Bad news: cracked the plastic climate control cover when removing it to get to the top bolts on the radio.I used some CA glue to repair the crack but it remains visible. Anybody with experience in a color match to that silver?
are you gonna paint it?
Old 07-18-21, 07:09 AM
oneround
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
are you gonna paint it?
Maybe. It doesn't look terrible, but I know it will bug me down the road (pun intended).
Old 07-18-21, 09:49 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 859 Likes on 690 Posts

Maybe. It doesn't look terrible, but I know it will bug me down the road (pun intended).
i suppose you take it with you to Walmart Lowe’s HD etc to look for a similar color paint.
then paint something and compare it to the HVAC control.
Old 07-18-21, 05:15 PM
oneround
Intermediate

Today I found some time and got my high-brightness monitor set up in the nav cage. Unfortunately, not enough time to get it installed. Was enough room to leave the nav board that other forum members have written about to retain door functions. I'll go the khong route if this doesn't work for a complete system delete.

Also got the Xtrons Android mounted up in the radio cage. Used a Metra 99-8161S kit for the wings to fill in on the sides. Since the depth of the unit is less than the OEM, I will have room to store the SWC box behind the new headunit.

Anybody have advice about a good place to mount a WiFi antenna? It's about 4"x1"x1/4" thick and the backside has 3M mounting tape. I would much prefer not having it visible, but don't know the impact of hiding it say under the dash. Maybe impossible to tell, but would it make a difference if it was horizonal vice vertical?

I'm going to reach out to Xtrons to ask, but sometimes Chinese manufacturers answers aren't so clear for me -- that and I would prefer some one with real world experience.
Old 07-18-21, 07:44 PM
khuong
Pit Crew

Wifi antenna underneath the cup holders is fine, even if it’s behind the radio it’ll be fine.

it’s Wi-Fi so los doesn’t matter.

I finish cutting my Nav just got to finish the mounting and drill some holes to secure everything and it’ll be good to go
Old 07-19-21, 11:19 AM
khuong
Pit Crew

Almost there ran into a snag, can't figure out how to attach the front case/bezel (with the tilt wheel) to the body now.. Read the other threads, looks like they extended made some bracket, can't seem to do the same. Might epoxy it.. LOL

Old 07-19-21, 05:07 PM
oneround
Intermediate

Are you asking about how to get the tilt part hooked up so the door can open/close? If yes, and it's like a 2002 then:

At the top of the screen's metal cage there is a rubber wiper that attaches with 3 screws. In the middle of the metal frame that holds the wiper there are two holes about 1-1/2" apart just behind the wiper frame. On the larger body of the assembly there is a metal part that sticks out in front (tilt extension arm for lack of a better term) with a small spring loaded piece of metal. Lift the spring loaded metal part. Tilt the screen enclosure part back enough to match the tilt extension arm and the spring loaded piece. Insert two screws and you're done. Have fun putting the plastic side pieces back on and getting the door in the proper tracks.
Hope that helps
The following users liked this post:
GmanSC (07-19-21)
Old 07-19-21, 05:39 PM
oneround
Intermediate

Originally Posted by khuong
The resistance from the Axxess box will not let it act like a master, it's basically for it to decode the CANBUS for their use - I tested it heavily before I butchered it -- because I have a few lol.

But I've managed to get it all installed -- and the exact same issue as before - only recognizes about 2-4 buttons.

But for some reason doesn't retain it after programming - going to call PAC and see if they can help. I made my own little thing to retain nav (which works)

What do these connectors connect to?
Old 07-19-21, 06:59 PM
khuong
Pit Crew

On my 2008 - The other 2 Radio Connectors..

6 Pin (Telephone / SWC / MUTE)
12 PIN (2 pins -- just does the AVC LAN Stuff)

My Radio has 3 Connectors - 20 pin (Main Connector for my year) - 12 Pin -- useless avc lan two pins used - 6 Pin (5 pins used)

Doing this allows me to retain the NAV Functions (door tilt/open/NAV ECU)

My 20 Pin is connected to Axxess TYTO-01 (So I can use stock ML Amp)
Old 07-19-21, 07:03 PM
khuong
Pit Crew

Are you asking about how to get the tilt part hooked up so the door can open/close? If yes, and it's like a 2002 then:

At the top of the screen's metal cage there is a rubber wiper that attaches with 3 screws. In the middle of the metal frame that holds the wiper there are two holes about 1-1/2" apart just behind the wiper frame. On the larger body of the assembly there is a metal part that sticks out in front (tilt extension arm for lack of a better term) with a small spring loaded piece of metal. Lift the spring loaded metal part. Tilt the screen enclosure part back enough to match the tilt extension arm and the spring loaded piece. Insert two screws and you're done. Have fun putting the plastic side pieces back on and getting the door in the proper tracks.
Hope that helps
Yeah I was talking bout the front bracket (Big Black Frame) attaching to the cage that holds the PCBS + Screen... I modified it, and cut out all the attachments / mount points -- so I epoxied it - got it all closed up now. Just need to do the wiring.

Basically going to have 2 Android Units in the car now... with the Bottom as the Main unit that connects into the ML Amp - and the top L/R will be AUX into the Main Radio.. with FRONT Audio going directly to those speakers (through the TYTO-01) for NAV -- Maybe..

Top unit will only be used for Videos / Rear Camera / Front DVR (Camera) -- and maybe a small RPI Input for some Games or something.
Old 07-20-21, 05:57 PM
khuong
Pit Crew

I thought the hard part was over.. in hindsight.. the hole at the bottom is probably the best to route cables.

But I took off the Gauge Cluster and hide the original tilt/nav pcbs behind it.. Wrapped it up with some Kapton Tape and Foam
Old 07-22-21, 06:50 AM
MattInLex
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

@khuong Got my audio overhaul done (I'll make a separate post with my install notes). With respect to the CAN bus, here's where I landed. I have the 2002 SC430, which is a little different than the later models. I successfully used the ASWC-TOY-LEX adapter. In *my* configuration, it works great and all the buttons do what they need.

Step 1) got the ASWC-TOY-LEX adapter working with the new head unit by just plugging into the 7-pin connector. Worked perfectly.
Step 2) bridged the busses as shown, including the resistor network. Both the ASWC-TOY-LEX and top nav unit stopped working.
Step 3) Unplugged the ASWC-TOY-LEX and the built-in nav bus started working again.
Step 4) Clipped the wires from ASWC-TOY-LEX bridge to the other bus and it started working again (but the Nav stopped) I've concluded that something in the bus isn't quite right still, so I'm giving up. The steering wheel controls work great and they're much more important than the old Nav screen.

So, basically I can't get top nav bus to work with the ASWC-TOY-LEX added to the can bus this way.

I gave up on the bridge of the network. The top nav is dead and I guess I'm OK with that since my new head unit is lightyears better than my 2002 Lexus nav.
Old 07-22-21, 06:58 AM
MattInLex
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

@oneround Sounds very similar. I'm good with mechanical and electrical stuff so I have a hard time paying someone else to do something like this - plus the $$ to do it would be high. It took me 4 evenings to get the entire system done (new head unit, new amp in trunk, etc...). I'd guess ~16 hours. That doesn't include the time I spent replacing the speakers last spring - probably another 2-3 hours.

As with any project, I've learned a bunch that would speed up doing it again. If there's any learning I can pass along to help, don't hesitate to reach out.
Old 07-22-21, 11:24 AM
oneround
Intermediate

Worked some more on the car audio system today - like usual some good, some bad.

Good: High brightness monitor in place and functional (by seat of the pants) about twice as bright as the Xtrons Android headunit screen.
Bad: the Multi-display door isn't responding. I too tried jumping the pins, with a 68 Ohm resistor. No go. I really hate to trash a working OEM radio for the board. So, will live with this for a while since I would only use the new monitor for Navigation.

Good: Got the headunit installed. ASWC-Toy-Lex did it's self programing thing - no idea if it works, don't want to try sending any sound to OEM speakers in case they are internally shorted and could blow the amp.
Bad: Somehow I tucked away the wires to the cigarette lighter while bundling up the spaghetti mess of wires. So, no working cigarette lighter but don't care enough to pull radio out. Also, the Metra install kit wings would not allow the radio to install -- to wide. So right now the sides are pretty ugly. Would like to hear if this is likely something I did, or if others have faced problems with the Metra kit.

Good: Got a Kicker A/B class 4-channel amp installed. I'm going to use it like a 2.1 system with channels 3 and 4 are bridged for the sub.
Bad: Out of time to work on door speakers. Have some lightly used old-school Pioneer Premier speakers (TS-C720PRS) that I will use in the doors.

Also no time to test or program anything into the Android headunit. Maybe I can find some time this evening.

Would really like to find a place to put the 3 USB connectors the headunit provides (ashtray? others?).

Last edited by oneround; 07-22-21 at 05:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Audio System Makeover