SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Audio System Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-22, 06:08 AM
mostrogt3
Driver

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by oneround
I'm not @khuong , but he's referring to the connectors on the back of the radio/headunit. The radio door does not need the connectors to function, as the door mechanism has its own connector.

The Nav unit does not have a separate connector for the door. There are other threads that refer to removing and retaining a board from the nav unit if you don't want the nav unit but you still want a functioning door.

His drawing makes use of the unused radio connectors (after installing an aftermarket radio) to keep the nav door functional without buying something like the Beatsonic box. . Basically his works outlines a a simple but functional LAN "master" (the 60-Ohm resistor - replaces the 60-Ohm resistance in the radio unit)), and the wires that provide a LAN signal pathway for the Nav unit door.

Hope that helps,
Lee

Hello, where can I find this information? Any link to get there?
Old 07-27-22, 05:03 AM
FOR30
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an '02 SC430 and I recently installed an Alpine head unit using Axxess TYTO-01 and ASWC-TOY-LEX interfaces.
Like so many others with that have '02 to '05 430s and have gone this route, I lost the functionality of my nav door / unit. I came here and found LOTS of helpful info. Thanks especially to Oneround and Khuong!
I wanted to put it out there that I seem to have come up with a fairly simple and low-cost solution, at least for my car which is completely stock (other than the Alpine) with Mark Levinson speakers, amp, and navigation player / display. If this has been posted or mentioned elsewhere, I haven't found it.
You know how the installation instructions for the Axxess AWSC-TOY-LEX say that if you have an '02 to '05 you are to only use the 6 pin connector and leave the 12 pin connector disconnected? Well I think I've come up with a solution that allows you to connect BOTH and gain nav functionality.
I plugged up BOTH the 6 pin and 12 pin connectors from AWSC. I then installed a 12 volt time-delay relay on the power feed to the AWSC. I set the delay on the relay for about 5 seconds.
With this setup i have steering wheel audio controls AND the control buttons on the climate control module work my nav display.
I'll be the first to admit that I don't know exactly why this works. I have a theory and that is, as others have already discovered, the components on the system "network" need to see 68 ohms when the car is powered on and everything "boots up". There is a 68 rohm resistor wired into the ASWC-TOY-LEX harness and is "seen" by both the 6 pin and 12 pin connectors. The 6 pin connector is what is "talking" to the steering wheel control module. The 12 pin connector communicates to nav.
What i think happens is that, on boot up, the steering wheel module is sending signal across the TX lines. The amp and steering wheel module must be okay with this "chatter" because, of course, they both work when connected as instructed by Axxess. However, either the climate control module or the nav unit doesn't like it and, as we know if you connect both the 6 and 12 pin connectors you loose functionality of steering wheel controls AND Nav. If you hook up ONLY the 6 pin, the steering wheel controls work, and if you hook up ONLY the 12 pin then the nav door works.
By placing the AWSC on a power up delay I'm thinking that this gives all the components on the network time to initiate their "handshake" where the 68 ohm value is recognized, without interference. Once that initial handshake is complete then the time delay relay kicks on and the ASWC comes online and works as it should.
The biggest drawback to the ones I found was that they don't come with wiring instructions. Some have long time delays and some have shorter delays. The one I bought is adjustable from .1 seconds to 120 seconds, which was fine. There are 2 red wires on the AWSC. Pin 12, the outermost red wire is the one that needs to be put on a timer. I bought the 12 volt time delay relay on Amazon for like $10 with a coupon, lol: https://a.co/d/9jwMc3h
I may be completely wrong on this. It's been working for a couple of days now for me and I'll update here. If there is any interest I'll be glad to pull my shift plate up and take some pics.

Last edited by FOR30; 07-27-22 at 05:06 AM. Reason: info correction
Old 09-19-22, 06:43 PM
whlng88
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by khuong
Hey Mate,

I just went down the rabbit hole again and redid my entire audio system. ( https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ssues-now.html )

I have a similar setup, minus the Nav replacement - As I had issues with Naviks/Beatsonics in the past, I have it actually unplugged, was going to attempt replacing it one day, but never saw any posts regarding it -- if you don't mind sharing the info you reference in your post?

I can say I've tried 4 different SWC modules in the past, the BeatSonic and METRA/AXXESS and PAC -- I can tell you it's a PITA to get it working 100% the way it's made. I've never been able to get more than a few buttons working, and some buttons always cloned other buttons which was super annoying.

I may go down the route the LS/GS post regarding taking it apart and putting resistors on the buttons and just doing it that way.

I've redone the Head Unit about 6 times in the past 5 years -- I always upgrade, or see a feature somewhere and swap out - since those Android Head Units are upgraded/changed so fast.
Hey Khuong n MattInLex,

To me, what u guys did were simply unbelievable. Thank u for sharing.

U seem to know a lot about audio n have done extensive research so am hoping to tap your brain. Though am responding to Khuong n MattInLex, my query below is also addressed to all members. So any input would be greatly appreciated.

Given my CD buffering issue ( unresolved ) , I searched for a replacement of our original SC430 Pioneer head unit ( 86120-24392). Then over the weekend, I popped by a car audio shop to inquire what other alternatives they might have. Shop suggested below so am writing to ask if it makes sense or there’s a better, price equivalent, alternative.

I wish to retain the existing ML speakers, wood cover function and audio controls on steering wheel plus a CD player so they recommended:

1) Pioneer AVH-Z9250BT with

2) Audison AP8.9 bit amplifier 520W

Total including installation Singapore $2600 ( US$1850).

My key question/concern is : will the combo above give equal or better sound quality than our original SC head unit with ML amp ( n speakers) ? Shopkeeper reassured it’d be but then threw in disclaimer that they are not familiar with ML speakers ( that I will be retaining ).

https://sg.pioneercarentertainment.c...es/AVH-Z9250BT

https://www.audison.eu/products/ap8-9-bit/

The Pioneer set comes with many additional welcomed but I can live without functions : Nav, CarPlay, Bluetooth, rear camera ( optional ), DVD, … I have separately installed a front camera.

Am still hunting on eBay for 86120-24392 and have read many members’ total revamps with new speakers, amplifier n head unit. But am just thinking for US$1850, I could have new & updated car accessories …. and remove doubts about refurbished 86120-24392 ?

Help !

Thank u all
Old 09-20-22, 05:06 PM
mostrogt3
Driver

Just to chime in on details of my install. No more ML...out!

Went with a more conventional setup with some custom mods to fit the gear.

For head unit I went with Sony XAV-AX5000, Polk Audio Fronts (Component) and Rear (Coax), 10" Kicker Sub Box.

Driving everything is a 5 channel MB Quart amp, Audiocontrol Epicenter and Three.2 DSP EQ, and Stinger 2 Farad Cap.

The Three.2 was retrofitted with a custom faceplate that inludes the Epicenter volume control ****.

Also custom installed a Stinger voltage meter in the ashtray opening.

Panels and trunk are wrapped with FatMat Rattletrap to control sound dampening.

Other than that it sounds awesome and the sound is clean.

Last edited by mostrogt3; 09-20-22 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-20-22, 07:54 PM
whlng88
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mostrogt3
Just to chime in on details of my install. No more ML...out!

Went wot a more conventional setup with some custom mods to fit the gear.

For headunot I went with Sony XAV-AX5000, MB Quart Fronts (Component) and Rear (Coax), 10" Kicker Sub Box.

Driving everything is a 5 channel MB Quart amp, Audiocontrol Epicenter and Three.2 DSP EQ, and Stinger 2 Farad Cap.

The Three.2 was retrofitted with a custom faceplate that inludes the Epicenter volume control ****.

Also custom installed a Stinger voltage meter in the ashtray opening.

Panels and trunk are wrapped with FatMat Rattletrap to control sound dampening.

Other than that it sounds awesome and the sound is clean.

Hey Mostrogt3,

Truly awesome your makeover. The Stinger n all in the boot.

What speakers did u instal ? Or did I miss this in your post.

Thanks.
Old 09-20-22, 08:01 PM
mostrogt3
Driver

Originally Posted by whlng88
Hey Mostrogt3,

Truly awesome your makeover. The Stinger n all in the boot.

What speakers did u install ? Or did I miss this in your post.

Thanks.
Thanks for the compliment.

Correction: For the speakers I went with the following from Polk Audio:

Front: Polk Audio DB6502
Rear: Polk Audio DB402
Sub: Kicker CompC 44TCWC104

Any additional questions let me know.
Old 12-30-22, 03:45 PM
tuxguy
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FOR30
I have an '02 SC430 and I recently installed an Alpine head unit using Axxess TYTO-01 and ASWC-TOY-LEX interfaces.
Like so many others with that have '02 to '05 430s and have gone this route, I lost the functionality of my nav door / unit. I came here and found LOTS of helpful info. Thanks especially to Oneround and Khuong!
I wanted to put it out there that I seem to have come up with a fairly simple and low-cost solution, at least for my car which is completely stock (other than the Alpine) with Mark Levinson speakers, amp, and navigation player / display. If this has been posted or mentioned elsewhere, I haven't found it.
You know how the installation instructions for the Axxess AWSC-TOY-LEX say that if you have an '02 to '05 you are to only use the 6 pin connector and leave the 12 pin connector disconnected? Well I think I've come up with a solution that allows you to connect BOTH and gain nav functionality.
I plugged up BOTH the 6 pin and 12 pin connectors from AWSC. I then installed a 12 volt time-delay relay on the power feed to the AWSC. I set the delay on the relay for about 5 seconds.
With this setup i have steering wheel audio controls AND the control buttons on the climate control module work my nav display.
I'll be the first to admit that I don't know exactly why this works. I have a theory and that is, as others have already discovered, the components on the system "network" need to see 68 ohms when the car is powered on and everything "boots up". There is a 68 rohm resistor wired into the ASWC-TOY-LEX harness and is "seen" by both the 6 pin and 12 pin connectors. The 6 pin connector is what is "talking" to the steering wheel control module. The 12 pin connector communicates to nav.
What i think happens is that, on boot up, the steering wheel module is sending signal across the TX lines. The amp and steering wheel module must be okay with this "chatter" because, of course, they both work when connected as instructed by Axxess. However, either the climate control module or the nav unit doesn't like it and, as we know if you connect both the 6 and 12 pin connectors you loose functionality of steering wheel controls AND Nav. If you hook up ONLY the 6 pin, the steering wheel controls work, and if you hook up ONLY the 12 pin then the nav door works.
By placing the AWSC on a power up delay I'm thinking that this gives all the components on the network time to initiate their "handshake" where the 68 ohm value is recognized, without interference. Once that initial handshake is complete then the time delay relay kicks on and the ASWC comes online and works as it should.
The biggest drawback to the ones I found was that they don't come with wiring instructions. Some have long time delays and some have shorter delays. The one I bought is adjustable from .1 seconds to 120 seconds, which was fine. There are 2 red wires on the AWSC. Pin 12, the outermost red wire is the one that needs to be put on a timer. I bought the 12 volt time delay relay on Amazon for like $10 with a coupon, lol: https://a.co/d/9jwMc3h
I may be completely wrong on this. It's been working for a couple of days now for me and I'll update here. If there is any interest I'll be glad to pull my shift plate up and take some pics.
I have this same setup 2005 sc430, Alpine head unit using Axxess TYTO-01 and ASWC-TOY-LEX interfaces... everything else stock. I am able to plug in the 6 pin and the 12 pin connectors... I isolated the AWSC pin12 (temporarily) out to a manual switch (while I am waiting on a timer). Turning the car on acc and then flipping the switch (connecting pin 12) on the 5th "ding" (5 seconds) allows the ASWC-TOY-LEX steering wheel buttons to work perfectly every time. The Nav door will open fine, tilt, etc. I can see the display menu and info on the top screen when I press those buttons... But the Nav itself does not work. Do I need to do anything else (i.e. resistor bridge) to get the actual nav to work? As I said, the top screen certainly has power and displays settings, etc.... just not the Nav.

Thanks for any insight.
Old 01-01-23, 01:31 PM
POrange1
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any advice for someone who doesn't really have the skill to tackle this themself? I'm looking to replace the Nav and the radio/stereo. Keeping the doors, of course, is a requirement. Do you think most electronics places will have installers who are capable? Thanks for your help!
Old 02-07-23, 08:39 PM
JohnSenior
9th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Installing the new 2nd Gen Unit from SC430 Mods

I retained the legacy unit if anyone needs an original low Rez screen

In the process of updating my 2004 Head Unit with the Second Gen Unit from SC430 Mods
The following 2 users liked this post by JohnSenior:
bubblebutt (02-18-23), fishinmagi (02-12-23)
Old 02-14-23, 06:30 AM
JohnSenior
9th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just yanked my Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX and BeatSonic adapter and reinstalled OEM radio and SC430 Mods Head unit! Love it and looking for a good "home" for the unit I yanked. Not looking to make money here just a good home and somebody willing to cover shipping and not bug me sith questions about how the conversion works
Old 03-02-23, 05:03 PM
MyLS460
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bought an exact Pioneer unit on Amazon a month thinking I'd replace the OEM head unit with it. Luckily I was able to return within the window before starting. Considering the NAVIKS to keep mine as stock as possible. Anyone with experience on the NAVIKS, please let me know its good's/bad's. Thank you!
https://naviks.com/i-24077150-2002-2...n-control.html

Last edited by MyLS460; 03-04-23 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-25-24, 05:50 AM
SGB4570
Advanced

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Not sure if you guys are still all around, but I sure wish I had your ability's or knew someone close by that did. My 2004 came with a pioneer head unit already installed which works well and has all the goodies on it BUT, my nav door doesn't work , wish I could figure out how to get it working. I can find nobody that knows. And I do not have the skillset to go in and play with it!