Notices
SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Driver's Side Sun Visor has Slack

 
Old 06-17-19, 06:30 AM
  #1  
sixonemale
Lead Lap
Thread Starter
 
sixonemale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 443
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Driver's Side Sun Visor has Slack

I noticed on our SC that the driver's side sun visor droops down about an inch. Is there a quick fix or adjustment that can take care of this excess slack or does the sun visor need to be replaced?
sixonemale is offline  
Old 06-17-19, 09:35 AM
  #2  
bgeeez
Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: SSF,CA
Posts: 69
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

i used a small piece of velcro to keep mine from falling down
bgeeez is offline  
The following users liked this post:
maarp (06-17-19)
Old 06-17-19, 11:27 AM
  #3  
maarp
Pole Position
 
maarp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: ON
Posts: 231
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default

Velcro! Brilliant!
maarp is offline  
Old 06-17-19, 04:07 PM
  #4  
sixonemale
Lead Lap
Thread Starter
 
sixonemale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 443
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bgeeez View Post
i used a small piece of velcro to keep mine from falling down
Practical solution, thanks.
sixonemale is offline  
Old 06-17-19, 07:00 PM
  #5  
Bgw70
Lexus Fanatic
 
Bgw70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Fl
Posts: 6,059
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by sixonemale View Post
I noticed on our SC that the driver's side sun visor droops down about an inch. Is there a quick fix or adjustment that can take care of this excess slack or does the sun visor need to be replaced?
Is it just loose?
the visors on my 2002 and 2007 are both tight and kind of snap in the up stored position.
can you post a video clip?
Bgw70 is offline  
Old 06-18-19, 05:54 AM
  #6  
ivanj
Driver
 
ivanj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Various
Posts: 132
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by sixonemale View Post
I noticed on our SC that the driver's side sun visor droops down about an inch. Is there a quick fix or adjustment that can take care of this excess slack or does the sun visor need to be replaced?
The Naughty SC has the same problem. I have considered velcro also but.....we'll see what others have tried.

There is a "dot" above the visor. Is that a standoff or a magnet?
ivanj is offline  
Old 06-18-19, 03:24 PM
  #7  
Oldsig
Driver School Candidate
 
Oldsig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 43
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Bgw70 View Post
Is it just loose?
the visors on my 2002 and 2007 are both tight and kind of snap in the up stored position.
can you post a video clip?
My '06 is like that too. Kind of startling the 1st time you flip it back up.
Oldsig is offline  
Old 06-20-19, 06:15 AM
  #8  
sixonemale
Lead Lap
Thread Starter
 
sixonemale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 443
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bgw70 View Post
Is it just loose?
the visors on my 2002 and 2007 are both tight and kind of snap in the up stored position.
can you post a video clip?
My wife pointed it out to me this morning, it's now drooping down about 2-3 inches. I have not looked closely at it and because it's getting a lot more slack quickly, is there some sort of an adjustment I can make or a screw that I tighten it up with? I'll try to take video with my iPhone this weekend and upload it. I'm assuming uploading a video is similar to uploading a photo.

Last edited by sixonemale; 06-20-19 at 06:22 AM.
sixonemale is offline  
Old 06-20-19, 08:03 AM
  #9  
GmanSC
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: CA
Posts: 1,210
Received 88 Likes on 83 Posts
Default

Mine is tight and snaps in place. If the roller worn out and canít hold the visor, try to insert the thin wire to the roller to create the friction. Otherwise, use Velcro or replace the visor.
GmanSC is offline  
Old 06-20-19, 05:43 PM
  #10  
Harold57
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,586
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts
Default

So when you say that your visor has slack, do you mean the visor body itself or that it is hanging lower (more of an angle than normal) from the hinge?

I suspect the latter. If that is the case, you'll notice at the hinge that there is a cap of sorts (maybe in 2 pieces) that covers the footing of the hinge. If you'll pop that off (I've never done it so I don't know what that entails), you'll likely find that the hinge involves a flat piece (footing or bracket) that is mounted to the roof by 2 or three screws. I suspect that one or more of the screws has come loose (backed out somewhat). If you'll tighten those screws up, the visor ought to be straight again. That is unless the hinge itself has been damaged (bent or worn out).

If you do pop the cap off, be sure to take a picture of it with the cap off and post it here.
Harold57 is offline  
Old 06-20-19, 06:09 PM
  #11  
sixonemale
Lead Lap
Thread Starter
 
sixonemale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 443
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Harold57 View Post
So when you say that your visor has slack, do you mean the visor body itself or that it is hanging lower (more of an angle than normal) from the hinge?

I suspect the latter. If that is the case, you'll notice at the hinge that there is a cap of sorts (maybe in 2 pieces) that covers the footing of the hinge. If you'll pop that off (I've never done it so I don't know what that entails), you'll likely find that the hinge involves a flat piece (footing or bracket) that is mounted to the roof by 2 or three screws. I suspect that one or more of the screws has come loose (backed out somewhat). If you'll tighten those screws up, the visor ought to be straight again. That is unless the hinge itself has been damaged (bent or worn out).

If you do pop the cap off, be sure to take a picture of it with the cap off and post it here.
What I mean by slack is that it will not close up all of the way. It was hanging down about an inch, but within the last couple of days it's drooping lower from it's closed up position by about two or three inches. I find it almost odd that it's drooping down a lower all of the sudden, hence the reason I was asking about an adjustment screw of some sort. It sure seems like something came loose all of the sudden, on the hand maybe they wear out in a binary fashion.

I have taken a look at them online and you are correct, once the aesthetic foot cover is popped off there are a couple of screws and then some wiring with a plug socket for the light.

I also called a dealer for pricing, $313 for the driver's side sun visor and according to this parts person, he said he would have to order it and that there are only four dark brown driver side visors left within all the dealers in the states. I also checked on EBay and for about $100 less I may be able to get the exact same visor with an identical part number. From what I've learned the last two letters at the end of the part number are the color code, EO for dark brown and CO for black. Although our sun visor looks black, I think they are very dark brown with the Camel interior. I'm currently using my VIN to ensure I'm ordering the correct one, if needed.

Last edited by sixonemale; 06-21-19 at 05:02 AM.
sixonemale is offline  
Old 06-21-19, 02:52 AM
  #12  
Bgw70
Lexus Fanatic
 
Bgw70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Fl
Posts: 6,059
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by sixonemale View Post
What I mean by slack is that it will not close up all of the way. It was hanging down about an inch, but within the last couple of days it's drooping lower from it's closed up position by about two or three inches. I find it almost odd that it's drooping down a lower all of the sudden, hence the reason I was asking about an adjustment screw of some sort. It sure seems like something came loose all of the sudden, on the hand maybe they wear out in a binary fashion.

I have taken a look at them online and you are correct, once the aesthetic foot cover is popped off there are a couple of screws and then some wiring with a plug socket for the light.

I also called a dealer for pricing, $313 for the driver's side sun visor and according to this parts person, he said he would have to order it and that there are only four dark brown driver side visors left within all the dealers in the states. I also checked on EBay and for about $100 less I may be able to get the exact same visor with an identical part number. From what I've learned the last two letters at the end of the part number are the color code, EO for dark brown and CO for black. Although our sun visor looks black, I think they are very dark brown with the Camel interior. I'm currently using my VIN to ensure I'm ordering the correct one if I needed.
I found a new sun visor on Megazip.com for $176 shipped.
Bgw70 is offline  
Old 06-21-19, 06:21 AM
  #13  
sixonemale
Lead Lap
Thread Starter
 
sixonemale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 443
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bgw70 View Post
I found a new sun visor on Megazip.com for $176 shipped.
Interesting website, thanks. I did a search with my VIN and both the right and left sun visors "This part is discontinued by manufacturer or sold out", but at least I confirmed the part number and that it is dark brown. When they refer to right is that from the perspective of sitting in car and therefore it's the US passenger side?

Last edited by sixonemale; 06-22-19 at 05:53 AM.
sixonemale is offline  
Old 06-21-19, 02:16 PM
  #14  
ivanj
Driver
 
ivanj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Various
Posts: 132
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

based on comments above, I pulled down firmly but gently on the shaft that holds the visor and is attached to the ceiling. The visor seems to hold position. Perhaps it was the angle of the arm in relationship to the visor.

I'll see if this continues to work.
ivanj is offline  
Old 06-23-19, 07:06 AM
  #15  
Bgw70
Lexus Fanatic
 
Bgw70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Fl
Posts: 6,059
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by sixonemale View Post
Interesting website, thanks. I did a search with my VIN and both the right and left sun visors "This part is discontinued by manufacturer or sold out", but at least I confirmed the part number and that it is dark brown. When they refer to right is that from the perspective of sitting in car and therefore it's the US passenger side?
Correct, right is US passenger side.
Bgw70 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driver's Side Sun Visor has Slack


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: