SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

My favorite NAV screen mod

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-19, 09:42 PM
ScottBass
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default My favorite NAV screen mod

I’ve been reading and watching all the things people have done, this one is super pricy but hits me as the most useful mod you could possibly do , If I ever add Bluetooth I may have to drive to Florida and have these guys install it so I can have this https://store.audiodesignscg.com/pro...mirror-system/
The following users liked this post:
CoffeeGirl (06-07-19)
Old 06-07-19, 07:17 AM
JTho
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

That looks good! I need to do something w/ my 09.
Old 06-07-19, 07:53 PM
ivanj
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Great .... think alike?

Originally Posted by ScottBass
I’ve been reading and watching all the things people have done, this one is super pricy but hits me as the most useful mod you could possibly do , If I ever add Bluetooth I may have to drive to Florida and have these guys install it so I can have this https://store.audiodesignscg.com/pro...mirror-system/
Didn't get the accolades yours did! Too expensive...

The kit is deemed expensive. I wonder how much the install costs in addition if you have it performed by the Florida company?

Last edited by ivanj; 06-08-19 at 07:18 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-08-19, 07:04 AM
ScottBass
Rookie

I like that it makes the top screen useful, for nav, song info and back up cam, just really don’t care for the bottom head replacement people are doing. Pricy but if I could get this locally for 1k installed I think I would go for it,
Old 06-08-19, 07:20 AM
ivanj
Driver

I like that it makes the top screen useful, for nav, song info and back up cam, just really don’t care for the bottom head replacement people are doing. Pricy but if I could get this locally for 1k installed I think I would go for it,
I would too. Can anyone identify the components?
Old 06-08-19, 08:24 AM
ScottBass
Rookie

Looks like that company has their own box , I guess I’ll eventually speak to a local shop and see if they have any experience doing these mods on the Sc .... it’s not super important, just would be nice, as is my iPhone XS sits perfectly on the ledge in between the stereo ***** and it is nice that lexus provided a nice nav cover ��..... so it’s not like it’s obsoleteness is staring you in the face like the ls430
Old 06-09-19, 01:20 PM
leexed
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts
Default a costly upgrade

I disagree...I updated the bottom head and in my opinion that is the biggest improvement that the car has received. I really didn't need or want an outdated cassette player. The replacement head has a touch screen, current map knowledge, Bluetooth, sirius, pandora. separate sub output, adjustable eq, and handsfree phone. All for one third the cost of this upgrade mentioned here. But as they say, different strokes for different folks!.
The following users liked this post:
jjefferjo (06-23-19)
Old 06-09-19, 03:06 PM
ScottBass
Rookie

So you got all that for 350 installed?
Old 06-09-19, 05:31 PM
leexed
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I purchased a Pioneer Avic-Z150BH head unit on ebay for 275. and installed a beatsonic adapter to use all of factory components. The speakers, strg wheel controls and fact nav stay intact. The sound , esp with an upgraded sub and amp is very much improved, and all of the extra features makes this a 'bring to modern' standard. I

did all of the work myself, I guess that makes a large saving.
Old 06-09-19, 06:47 PM
ScottBass
Rookie

Looks nice, now if only you could come over lol... I would be terrified of messing something up
Old 06-09-19, 06:49 PM
ScottBass
Rookie

Do you know if any of these units would allow the closing door to stay?
Old 06-10-19, 06:30 AM
ivanj
Driver

Default Off topic?

Originally Posted by leexed
I disagree...I updated the bottom head and in my opinion that is the biggest improvement that the car has received. I really didn't need or want an outdated cassette player. The replacement head has a touch screen, current map knowledge, Bluetooth, sirius, pandora. separate sub output, adjustable eq, and handsfree phone. All for one third the cost of this upgrade mentioned here. But as they say, different strokes for different folks!.
Yes the common route with lots of choices is the replacement of the bottom unit. I'm glad you are enjoying it.

This thread is about making the top display more useful. Do you have any ideas about doing that conversion?
Old 06-10-19, 06:54 AM
ScottBass
Rookie

I noticed the Florida company implementation of the top screen mod is wired, I don’t like that so now looking at naviks, they have an hdmi interface for mirroring for 225 but have an add on that allows wireless through WiFi for 175 extra ,if that works well it would be both cheaper and better
Old 06-10-19, 07:34 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

The problem with the factory nav screen, is its poor resolution. So none of it will look as good as it does on your phone, or a new head unit. So $1000 dollars spent and you still have a poor quality screen.
Old 06-10-19, 09:02 AM
ivanj
Driver

Default Quakity is adequate for the purpose, no?

Originally Posted by Coleroad
The problem with the factory nav screen, is its poor resolution. So none of it will look as good as it does on your phone, or a new head unit. So $1000 dollars spent and you still have a poor quality screen.
Good point but the resolution is relative to the function. If I want to watch movies in HD it may fall short, but for updated navigation functions and a backup camera the top display it is fine.

Also, one doesn't have to look down for navigation, etc. so it is relatively safer for driving..

Quick Reply: My favorite NAV screen mod