SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Wash Car Issue with keyless entry, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-18, 11:26 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

You can't make it up, I started to type to your reply, phone just rang and it was the Repair Shop, IT TURNED OUT TO BE THE NEGATIVE AND OR POSITVE TERMINALS to the Battery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tech said that there was a voltage Drop hence car would then freak out and not provide the necessary power to complete the circuits in the Car!!!!!
So Happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEA!!!!!!!!! And yes, I checked the Terminals myself however they looked good however, measuring for voltage drop outs......... I had no clue! The other good news so many of my connections were tested so hopefully no more other weird electrical problems!!!

THANKS TO ALL FOR PUTTING UP WITH THIS POST!!!! Bib shout out to BobVVti and others who all helped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob
Old 03-13-18, 11:36 AM
VVTiBob

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Well.... I suspect we have all learned something new today. I’m curious and hopefully when you get your car back from the shop you will get a more in depth explanation on what happened to the battery cable. That is, was there corrosion or something else causing the voltage deficits. Was the terminal connector itself or the main cable? Please ask and share the results.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 03-13-18 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-13-18, 03:13 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 512 Likes on 428 Posts

Yes, Please ask. This was quite a stumper.

Can you tell us if it was a bad cell in your battery. A bad alternator. a bad cable terminal or bad wiring?

Inquiring minds want to know
Old 03-13-18, 03:42 PM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Got the details

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
Yes, Please ask. This was quite a stumper.

Can you tell us if it was a bad cell in your battery. A bad alternator. a bad cable terminal or bad wiring?

Inquiring minds want to know

Just got back from picking u my wheels~~ here is the scoop on my Car. On the positive battery terminal, the clamp/ connector is made up of 2 pieces, part that clamps to terminal of battery, and then there is a strap metal piece that connects to the Harness.

When they checked the + side with a meter over those 2 pieces of metal the clamp is made of, the voltage drop was 2 Amps!!!!!!! So it is kind of a bridge if you look how Lexus made the clamp! He said age/light corrosion was causing the drop!

I wish they had changed the Negative side, however he said, if it works leave it alone;-)

ShawnOK check your connections as mentioned above! I will post picture later of the new Clamp!

Thanks!
B-
The following users liked this post:
Jabberwock (03-20-18)
Old 03-14-18, 10:14 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

Glad to hear that you got it resolved Bob. I can see how that would drive someone crazy, I know it would me!
hoffy5 (03-15-18)
Old 03-14-18, 11:43 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 912 Likes on 732 Posts

What I don’t understand is how this caused problems with the lock/unlock function of the key fob, but never had an issue when starting the car.
Old 03-14-18, 01:39 PM
VVTiBob

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

One theory: there is direct connection to the starter motor, whereas other components get power, and in this case reduced voltage by a couple of amps, via the multiplex communication system via several ECUs and more sensitive to voltage fluctuations. Low voltage can and does cause intermittent problems. Here is a link to a great article on the subject. http://www.fluke.com/fluke/uses/comu...agnosevoltdrop it gives us laymen a very basic understand and good explanation for this case.

I inspected my battery terminals today and found some corrosion too. While my car has lived 99.5% of its life garaged, we do live near the ocean. So we do have salt air from time to time. The car is 16 years old so replacing parts in not unexpected nor burdensome. Thanks to Hoffy for bringing the solution to his dilemma to our attention.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 03-14-18 at 03:39 PM.
hoffy5 (03-15-18)
Old 03-14-18, 02:13 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I sincerely hope Hoffys problem has been resolved...battery terminals just seem like an odd fix to a low amp draw problem. It seems like it is the opposite of what it should be.
Old 03-14-18, 03:12 PM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Gr

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
One theory: there is direct connection to the starter motor, whereas other components get power, and in this case reduced voltage by a couple of amps, via the multiplex communication system via several ECUs and more sensitive to voltage fluctuations. Low voltage can and does cause intermittent problems. Here is a link to a great article on the subject. http://www.fluke.com/fluke/uses/comu...agnosevoltdrop it gives us laymen a very basic understand and good explanation for this case.

I inspected my battery terminals today and found some corrosion too. While my car has lived 99.5% of its life garaged, we do live near the ocean. So we do have salt air from time to time. The car is 16 years old so replacing parts in not unexpected nor burdensome. Thanks to Hoffy for bringing to solution to his dilemma to our attention.
Thanks for sending the article link, makes sense for us laymen like myself! I left the car home today to let it sit, just got in and all is working! On a similar note, The Tech took so many components apart, Doors, back panels, fuse box, etc.....
9 days of on off testing, they believe in addition to the bad connection, the Driver Mirror was inspected, one wire was loose, however the problem continued after they fixed that, hence, all I can do is hope it is finally fixed!

Thanks!
Bob
eat Article
Old 03-14-18, 03:16 PM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bgw70
I sincerely hope Hoffys problem has been resolved...battery terminals just seem like an odd fix to a low amp draw problem. It seems like it is the opposite of what it should be.

I hope so also, 9 days of testing and inspecting tons of connectors etc......plus the Bill$ I double asked your question, they reiterated there was a bad voltage drop!

Thanks!
Bob
Old 03-14-18, 04:40 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hoffy5
I hope so also, 9 days of testing and inspecting tons of connectors etc......plus the Bill$ I double asked your question, they reiterated there was a bad voltage drop!

Thanks!
Bob
Bob,
It is highly probable your mechanic was able to correct the problem...by disconnecting and reconnecting terminals he most likely removed any type of corrosion on the contacts.
hoffy5 (03-15-18)
Old 03-19-18, 11:41 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Hi Friends! Well good news turned to bad news! I washed the Car on Friday evening, and after doing so, alarm lock system stopped working!! All I can say was, you got to be kidding me! Thats not what I really said!

So back to square one, it has to be Water! I called the Tech and he said to bring it back and they will water test at no charge! Tech said they checked all Carpets and found no stains to indicate water, however they did not take the Driver Door Panel off! I also asked him to confirm if maybe they damaged the Seal on the Window, he said no!

Told Tech I was going to take recommendations on this forum, start covering my Car with a Tarp at different locations to isolate location! I believe it is the Driver Door, but heck who knows at this point!

I posted a thread about a bad seal I found on the Driver Door, it was 2 inches long, seal was broken, I glued it until the new ordered parts comes in! My Wife found the damage when when windows where all down "she said "look here it is torn 2 plus inches------------------------------------------------ The very back of the Front Driver Window then ending ok by the Driver Door Handle!

Also, I have a a endoscope and I checked fuse boxes again and they where all dry!

After 22 hours, alarm system started working again!!!

Long story short , time to get the Garden Hose out and Soap!

Thanks!
Bob
Old 03-19-18, 04:51 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

Sorry to hear that Bob. Good luck with the further investigation.
Old 03-19-18, 09:16 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 567 Likes on 433 Posts

Bob,

Here is another solution. Don't wash your car. Use IBIZ waterless wash & wax. Bough these at Costco, they also available online, Amazon and Ebay. Works great.

Amazon Amazon
hoffy5 (03-20-18)
Old 03-20-18, 05:57 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Bob,

Here is another solution. Don't wash your car. Use IBIZ waterless wash & wax. Bough these at Costco, they also available online, Amazon and Ebay. Works great.

https://www.amazon.com/Ounce-Waterle...verything+wash

Funny you would post, I told my wife if we do not find the culprit, your suggestion is option, I think Optima also makes a Waterless Product similar!
Thanks for the Tip, may give it a go!

Bob

Quick Reply: Wash Car Issue with keyless entry, HELP!