SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Wash Car Issue with keyless entry, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-18, 06:07 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Thanks Harold

Originally Posted by Harold57
Sorry to hear that Bob. Good luck with the further investigation.

Appreciate the good luck! Car is working now after the typical 22-24 hours, something dries out! I will be covering the Driver window with a Plastic Tarp first, and give it a wash, if it stops working as it normally does then it is not the Door, I will then cover the Windshield!
If it turns out to be the Driver side Door, then the Tech agreed to water test with door panel off, no charge!

Thanks!
Bob
Old 03-20-18, 09:48 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70

i read the previous posts and didn’t see where anyone suggested you do the following since the problems begin after washing your car.
spray one small area of the car, like the drivers glass and door. Wait 15 min then check for problems. If none, do the passenger door and window...
if still no issues, spray the windshield...wait 15 min and check for problems.

at some point the issues will show up and you can isolate the water problem.

if you find it to be the windshield area, I would take the radio, NAV screen and HVAC control out and inspect them for moisture along with the area inside the dash.
i would also open all of the boxes under the hood and look for moisture.

another thing to try. After the problem starts again, open the doors and take a fan(s) and let them blow under the dash, check the car every hour to see if the problem goes away. If it goes away quickly then you can focus on the dash.

these are just ideas of what I would attempt...good luck!.
Reposting my previous comments...

dont worry about a tarp, just turn the hose pressure down on low and spray the drivers door, window and door jam.
if it goes out, remove the interior door panel and place a fan blowing into the door.
once it is working again, only spray into the front door jam.

Last edited by Bgw70; 03-20-18 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-20-18, 11:14 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Hi BGW70,

Got it about doing test without Tarp! Question, Since I foam my car, should I use soap or just Water?

Thanks!
Bob
Old 03-20-18, 11:27 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

There are only three areas around the door, but I discount one, the scuff panel logo light. The switch in the “B” pillar area and, of course, inside the door itself. We have the inside: the driver’s door ECU, window regulator, electronic/mechanical lock, and mirror electronics.
Old 03-20-18, 04:29 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hoffy5
Hi BGW70,

Got it about doing test without Tarp! Question, Since I foam my car, should I use soap or just Water?

Thanks!
Bob
i personally wouldn’t worry about the soap...just go with water.

spray or soak each area for about five min or until it breaks again.

If this is the cause, it will show up...at this point, we just want to narrow it down to an area of the car...
The following users liked this post:
hoffy5 (03-21-18)
Old 03-25-18, 05:34 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Results from Water Test's

As suggested by BGW70, I did my extensive Water testing to find out what section of the SC430 was killing my Alarm System/Remote Entry.

On a past post I mentioned last week, I had the Car in my Garage with the Top Down, my wife discovered that a 2 inch piece of the inner Rubber Seal was Torn on Driver Side. To correct that before I started my Water Test's, Repaired with Super Glue until my new ordered Part comes in!

Here is how I water Tested:

1) I did use Soap and a sponge first before applying the Hose without a sprayer attached, Started with B-Pillar, Watered the heck out of 1/2 of Driver window and Small Window around B-Pillar, only did up to Half of the Driver Window since the goal was to find the entry point. After 15 minutes,,,,Alarm system worked!

2) Then I did the A-Pillar, Watered this time the Whole driver Window, I made sure to shoot allot of water since there is many wires bellow in the Boot between Door and Body of Car. Waited 15 minutes....Alarm still working, maybe the repair worked?

3) Did exact same to Passenger Door, Also after waiting 15 minutes I did open and close both doors.

4) I decided then to move and do the Rear Window

5) Did rear Trunk area

The last area to test, the Windshield, I decided to do that in 3 parts, Passenger Side first, wait 15 minutes.......then Driver side, and then entire Windshield!

Last part was the Front Hood down to front Bumper........

Sorry for the long post, however I could just have said, it now Works after applying the above steps!

I believe that it had to be the Rubber inner torn weather Strip with water going behind Door Belt down somewhere in the inner Door and shorting something?

Every step of the way, tested the alarm function after every step, including this morning :-))

Time will tell if we are good. Now I need to figure out how to replace the inner Belt, another member is also replacing his, I asked him to post some pics of installation!

Thanks again!
Bob
Old 03-25-18, 05:40 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hoffy5
As suggested by BGW70, I did my extensive Water testing to find out what section of the SC430 was killing my Alarm System/Remote Entry.

On a past post I mentioned last week, I had the Car in my Garage with the Top Down, my wife discovered that a 2 inch piece of the inner Rubber Seal was Torn on Driver Side. To correct that before I started my Water Test's, Repaired with Super Glue until my new ordered Part comes in!

Here is how I water Tested:

1) I did use Soap and a sponge first before applying the Hose without a sprayer attached, Started with B-Pillar, Watered the heck out of 1/2 of Driver window and Small Window around B-Pillar, only did up to Half of the Driver Window since the goal was to find the entry point. After 15 minutes,,,,Alarm system worked!

2) Then I did the A-Pillar, Watered this time the Whole driver Window, I made sure to shoot allot of water since there is many wires bellow in the Boot between Door and Body of Car. Waited 15 minutes....Alarm still working, maybe the repair worked?

3) Did exact same to Passenger Door, Also after waiting 15 minutes I did open and close both doors.

4) I decided then to move and do the Rear Window

5) Did rear Trunk area

The last area to test, the Windshield, I decided to do that in 3 parts, Passenger Side first, wait 15 minutes.......then Driver side, and then entire Windshield!

Last part was the Front Hood down to front Bumper........

Sorry for the long post, however I could just have said, it now Works after applying the above steps!

I believe that it had to be the Rubber inner torn weather Strip with water going behind Door Belt down somewhere in the inner Door and shorting something?

Every step of the way, tested the alarm function after every step, including this morning :-))

Time will tell if we are good. Now I need to figure out how to replace the inner Belt, another member is also replacing his, I asked him to post some pics of installation!

Thanks again!
Bob
that is good news but leaves the question, “did I really find the problem?”

would you be willing to put the inner belt back in the broken configuration?

you must locate the issue, for sure!

the other option would be to wet the entire car, all at once, like you did in the past when it would stop working...

Old 03-25-18, 05:47 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Excellent! Thorough job, nicely done. Hopefully you’ve resolved this problem.
Old 03-25-18, 06:20 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

When I figure out how to install the inner Piece, yes, I could tear back that 2 inch piece and wash entire car as normal! So Yes, will do, for sure I would like to know 100%

Thanks
B-
Old 03-25-18, 12:46 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

That is good news Bob. I hope that did fix the problem.
Old 04-01-18, 04:46 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Update, I just washed the car again, car wireless operation, no issues again, this is after 2 washes.. In the past, every time I washed the car, system would stop working, i.e keyless. Appears the 2 inch tear on the inner Driver side seal was the culprit from water getting in and shorting something. As said by BGW70,to confirm 100%, I would need to tear back that same 2 inch area of rubber Seal, then wash that side of door to confirm. I just received the inside and outside parts to replace. (Door Belt, Inner Seal) I will report my findings after I test and replace the Seal.

The outside belt can be replaced without removing panel, just remove 2 plugs on rubber door upper seal, you will see the one screw that removes that outer door belt. The inside seal requires door panel to come off, thanks BobVVTi.

Has anybody replace their Door belt on the back triangle window? I believe it pulls off? Also just received that part, so I can match the condition on the entire side of the 2 windows! My passenger side moulding are in better shape cosmetically due to less usage on that side!

Thanks!

Bob
Old 04-01-18, 05:16 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I have not replaced the belts but did replace the drivers window triangle seal at the front of the door.

are you going to put the car in the previous condition, test for malfunction, then install the new parts?

it sounds like you corrected the problem but knowing 100% would be nice.

you know, here is what you could do...
put the car back in the condition when it would fail.
remove the interior door panels so you can see inside the door.
you then sit in the car and have a helper spray the drivers door and window.
you look for water intrusion...possibly dripping on the ECU in the door.
hoffy5 (04-01-18)
Old 04-01-18, 06:47 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Yes will do

Hi , for sure, I am going to put the inner seal back to way it was prior to my glue repair and do what you recommend! Then I will install new parts!

Thanks again!!

Bob
Old 04-07-18, 08:09 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Finally go the courage up to do it!

Ok,

Got up early this morning and said, I have to replace the inner and outer moulding for the Driver door!! My inner Seals was torn and was temporarily super glued! Outer was also worn!

1) Removed door panel of driver door, followed the directions in the forum!

2) Replaced inner Door panel Seal/Moulding t, see pics......

3) Then installed the outer Door Belt Moulding, door panel was off so it was not to difficult to replace. Note, you can replace without taking off door panel, just a little tight getting to the one screw that holds the moulding down!

4) Finally had the time to look at the inside of the door workings to see if and how water was getting into the Door and making the Keyless entry stop working:

Findings: on the top of the Door, the water barrier plastic was not secured to the black sealant in 2 locations, near front of door, and also toward the back of door, Plastic was not secured and wide open in those 2 areas fro water to get in!
That and my 3 inch tear of the inner seal let water get in!

5) Replaced inner seal, see pics.... not to difficult, all you have to do is unfold metal tabs to remove old seal, then the reverse when installing new seal!

6) Then I replaced the outer door belt, held in with one screw, also removed 2 plastic screws to get access to that screw!

7) I then used some 3M black gasket sealer/Sealant, Put down new sealant on plastic and metal where it attaches to inner door, I let the sealant tac up about 10 minutes before closing up those open areas of the plastic protection barrier.

8) Re-install door panel!

I believe that when the driver Door Window was replaced, someone never took the time to seal things up, and someone also damaged that inner seal, both culprits in this LONG STORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9) Then I was on a roll~~~I then replaced the Rear belt moulding noted in my other Thread!! Hope my other post helps other in replacing their rear belt moulding--------

Totally feel so Happy :-))) I was able to do all these replacement and repairs myself! Also, I know the job got done correctly!! Thanks to many in this great forum for helping and guiding me along since I had no clue how to do this work!

Thanks!
Bob

Old seal is held in with metal tabs------

New inner seal, After removing old, all you do is bend new tabs over like picture one.

After re-sealing water barrier seal with 3M gasket/sealant.

New front and rear belt moulding installed..

New installed moulding, Also, check out my Lexus Logo, I remove all the fake chrome so it is now white;-)

another shot of new rear moulding
ShawnOk (04-11-18)
Old 04-07-18, 09:28 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Very nice Bob. Thanks for posting and congratulations on the repair.

Quick Reply: Wash Car Issue with keyless entry, HELP!