SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

TPMS Testing and Programming with TechStream 2002-2006

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-17, 12:41 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by beaunoz
I purchased all four for a 2nd set of wheels. You are correct that I likely didnt let out of enough air. I was too lazy to pull out the air compressor hose. But you made a good point about OVER-inflating by 6lbs and then releasing the air. Is 300 seconds enough time to deflate all four tires? Or will I have to keep restarting the procedure when I run out of time?
well its five minutes and I had enough time to do it...just don't answer the phone if it rings, ;-)
Old 09-13-17, 04:53 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

The new TPMS sensor arrived today and it is the correct Blue color I need.
I hope to have Discount Tire install the new sensor Sometime this week.
The sensor came with everything needed to mount the sensor in the wheel.
Lexus updated the part number and the old and new can be seen in the pics below.

Old 09-16-17, 10:23 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

All finished, I took it down to Discount Tire this morning and the guys swapped it out at no charge. I programmed the new sensor using TechStream, very easy.

first, I used techstream to figure out which tire was bad.
i could see the pressure for each tire on the TechStream software screen. I then let Air out of each tire and let the software update. I marked each ID number for each wheel location then figured out what wheel had the bad Blue sensor.

they pulled that wheel replaced the sensor and I reprogrammed all four sensors. You cannot just program one.
the software tells you what to do and it is very easy.
i just let Air out until it registered in Techstream. Usually within 10 seconds or less.
the process gives you 300 second...it took me about 180 seconds to do all four.
NOTE: take the valve caps off before you begin.

If you look close, you can see the Blue color on the left side. Look at the second pic, which shows the location of the gold paint.

the new style writes the color.

Last edited by Bgw70; 08-21-19 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-16-17, 10:33 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Here are the programming screenshots...

Last edited by Bgw70; 09-16-17 at 10:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
HardTimes (11-03-17)
Old 11-02-17, 03:52 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

It’s time for another sensor, cudos to iolmaster, who asked why I just didn’t replace all four at the same time! ;-)
probably should have, but I am being cheap...LoL
so my first went bad two years ago, the second went bad less than two months ago.
now it’s time to replace the GOLD TPMS sensor.
I did the Red first and Blue second, should I just replace the White while I am at it?

Last edited by Bgw70; 08-21-19 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-03-17, 06:00 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
It’s time for another sensor, cudos to iolmaster, who asked why I just don’t replace all four at the same time! ;-)
probably should have, but I am being cheap...LoL
so my first went bad two years ago, the second went bad less than two months ago.
now it’s time to replace the GOLD TPMS sensor.
I did the red and Blue, should I just replace the White while I am at it?
I would guess you know my answer to the last question. I have an 06 and will get about another year or so from my current set of tires. I have not had any of the sensor batteries fail to this point. However, it is my intent to replace all the sensors at the next tire change. They will be about 13 years old at that point. I will have gotten my money's worth.
Old 11-03-17, 06:32 AM
HardTimes
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Bgw,
First THANK YOU so much for the write up. Your time to this site is invaluable (along with several others of course)

Have you tried keeping old sensor and replacing the battery with any success? I know it’s been addressed in another thread.

I have an ‘03, new sensors in hand, waiting to get replaced.
Old 11-03-17, 02:46 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HardTimes
Hey Bgw,
First THANK YOU so much for the write up. Your time to this site is invaluable (along with several others of course)

Have you tried keeping old sensor and replacing the battery with any success? I know it’s been addressed in another thread.

I have an ‘03, new sensors in hand, waiting to get replaced.
i never opened them up to replace the battery. I do know the batteries are an industrial grade and we cannot purchase them.

i went ahead and purchased the last two TPMS sensors today...this will make all four.

others have said when one goes bad, just replace them all. I now believe that is a good practice.

here is the price I paid today for two...

Old 11-03-17, 07:47 PM
HardTimes
Rookie

Wink

Originally Posted by Bgw70
i never opened them up to replace the battery. I do know the batteries are an industrial grade and we cannot purchase them.

i went ahead and purchased the last two TPMS sensors today...this will make all four.

others have said when one goes bad, just replace them all. I now believe that is a good practice.

here is the price I paid today for two...

Think I paid $260 for the set of 4 - relieved to know I was in the ballpark anyway. Thanks for posting.
Old 11-06-17, 03:34 AM
lexixel
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Why spend money on this? I just unplugged the modular in the center console. If I need this to tell me my pressure is low or my tire is flat, I need to attend University.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 02-18-18 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-06-17, 06:25 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexixel
Why spend money on this? I just unplugged the modular in the center console. If I need this to tell me my pressure is low or my tire is flat, I need to attend a University.
my wife drives the car and I want it operational for her safety and piece of mind...

I know you were making a joke
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the-debate-forum-140/

you can go back and edit your comment if you like.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 02-18-18 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-06-17, 02:02 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Here are the last of two TPMS sensors, White and Yellow (Gold)

Really fast shipping, ordered Friday and arrived Monday, Arizona to Florida. Now I just need to get down to Discount Tire.

Last edited by Bgw70; 08-21-19 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-10-17, 07:58 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Had the TPMS sensors installed today. Once again Discount Tire did it no charge...they are a GREAT store!

all four have been changed now and should be the last I change on this car.

NOTE: if you get the light and then see 1.8vdc for a sensor when using Tech Stream, that sensor is bad. 1.8vdc is the minimum Tech Stream will show, even if the sensor is at 0 volts.

Last edited by Bgw70; 11-11-17 at 06:13 AM.
SC44 (09-05-23)
Old 11-11-17, 06:09 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Here is the final after picture

NOTE the voltages, pressure and temp of each sensor. Too bad you couldn’t see that info on the NAV screen.
the temp was higher on one of the sensors because that wheel was in the morning sun.

Last edited by Bgw70; 11-11-17 at 06:20 AM.
othater (11-12-17)
Old 11-16-17, 06:25 PM
HardTimes
Rookie

Default THANK YOU!!! - "Easy doer"

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
Thank you Bgw70 for your efforts on this thread!!
Had 4 new sensors installed by local service station while the new Michelins were installed.
I asked him to indicate on the tires with tire chalk which sensor color was in which rim
- turns out this is mostly for acedemic purposes, because for the purposes of syncing to the TPMS ECU, don't really need to know it
- when registering sensor IDs - first registered is ID1, second is ID2, etc. Can get colors from the Techstream database once registered
Brought car home, hooked it up to Techstream, took valve caps off
Initiated registration (deflating with valve stem still in place - used small allen wrench to minimize air blockage), had wife yell out once a sensor registered
Once I started deflating tires, each sensor took maybe 10 seconds to register
Also had motor mounts replaced which eliminated steering wheel shuttering after driving over a bump (e.g. overpass joint) and eliminated about 4-5 inches of engine travel with foot on brake, in drive, pressing accelerator --- which I will also post on a more applicable thread.

One more project complete on my new to me (Sept '17) 2003 SC430. Still have to track down an occasionally recurring P0442 code - added spring clamps to hose joints, think bad motor mounts were causing hose leakage.
Also going to try to add a key via Techstream and the recommended 1010keys! user from that popular auction site ;-)

Sorry for the babbling, just wanted to post to state my appreciation for Bgw's work and to encourage others that are wanting to keep their Factory TPMS that registering is an EASY process with Techstream.

Last edited by HardTimes; 11-16-17 at 06:41 PM.
Bgw70 (05-17-18)

Quick Reply: TPMS Testing and Programming with TechStream 2002-2006