SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Homelink does not program

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-17, 12:57 PM
nprest2
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Homelink does not program

I am having an issue with programming the homelink as per the owners manual. Per manual you push the button on your transponder and homelink until light turns from slow flashing to fast flashing for about 20 sec.

In my case, when I push the homelink button - there is a solid red light. After I continue pressing it, the light turns into a slow blinking one and finally goes out. Light never turns into rapid flashing as per instructions.

has anyone come across something like this before?
Old 07-30-17, 01:21 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by nprest2
I am having an issue with programming the homelink as per the owners manual. Per manual you push the button on your transponder and homelink until light turns from slow flashing to fast flashing for about 20 sec.

In my case, when I push the homelink button - there is a solid red light. After I continue pressing it, the light turns into a slow blinking one and finally goes out. Light never turns into rapid flashing as per instructions.

has anyone come across something like this before?
The Homelink on our cars is not compatible with the newer door openers. The new openers have a rolling security code. There is an adapter that has to be used if you have a newer opener. If your opener is older then you are not using the correct sequence. I had to use one of these on a new opener that was put in recently with my daughter's 2000 RX. It worked right off the bat. See included link.

Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
nprest2 (07-30-17)
Old 07-30-17, 03:46 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I used the adapter just like the one in the link above. Because my SC's homelink would not sync with my door openers which were purchased in 2016. Works perfectly now so that adapter solved the problem for me. Hope it works for you too. Good luck !
Old 07-30-17, 05:30 PM
nprest2
Rookie

Originally Posted by iolmaster
The Homelink on our cars is not compatible with the newer door openers. The new openers have a rolling security code. There is an adapter that has to be used if you have a newer opener. If your opener is older then you are not using the correct sequence. I had to use one of these on a new opener that was put in recently with my daughter's 2000 RX. It worked right off the bat. See included link.

https://www.amazon.com/LiftMaster-85...melink+adapter
Oh wow, that's awesome, I had no idea. How does that adapter exactly work? Does it link up to the garage opener and serve as a middle man between opener and the car's homelink?
Old 07-30-17, 05:56 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Oh wow, that's awesome, I had no idea. How does that adapter exactly work? Does it link up to the garage opener and serve as a middle man between opener and the car's homelink?
That sounds like a good summary of how it works. The adapter accepts the SC's homelink signal and retransmits it to the newer door openers in a way the new openers can understand.
Old 07-31-17, 06:15 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

You will need a free electric outlet in the garage to plug the adapter in. It has a small antenna and receives the signal from your car that has been programed from the remote that comes with the adapter. It then transmits the signal to the door opener. The only down side is, there is a slight delay and you may think it is not working. Not long, it just is not instant like we have been used to. Some have said that the range is not as long as car to opener. We haven't found that to be a problem. Range has been more than sufficient. Very easy and worked right away. Doesn't cost much either.
The following users liked this post:
nprest2 (07-31-17)
Old 07-31-17, 06:33 AM
nprest2
Rookie

Originally Posted by iolmaster
You will need a free electric outlet in the garage to plug the adapter in. It has a small antenna and receives the signal from your car that has been programed from the remote that comes with the adapter. It then transmits the signal to the door opener. The only down side is, there is a slight delay and you may think it is not working. Not long, it just is not instant like we have been used to. Some have said that the range is not as long as car to opener. We haven't found that to be a problem. Range has been more than sufficient. Very easy and worked right away. Doesn't cost much either.
awesome, thanks for this. I will be ordering this today. The slightly longer timing shouldn't be an issue as we've got a longer driveway on the side of the house and it takes a bit to get up there, by the time I'm up there and have the car turned I'd imagine door would be open.

i was debating between this or just getting the wifi adapter for my chamberlain but seems less convenient to fumble for my phone and push the garage button on it each time. Plus the wifi adapter costs more than the homelink addon.