SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Replace door check on 2004 SC430

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-17, 12:33 PM
Bearsfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace door check on 2004 SC430

Has anyone had an experience replacing the 'door check' on their driver's door? Mine is worn out on my 2004 and I saw a post on this site where someone replaced the hinge pin on an ES, but I don't think you can do that on the door check of the SC. It would sure be a heck of a lot easier if I could just change the pin, but if I need to replace the whole door check, I was wondering if anyone had pictures they could share, or at least some tips about removing the interior door panel.
Old 05-11-17, 01:39 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 383 Posts

Can you clarify your question so I can better understand?

I think you are saying, your DOOR IS OPEN light is on and you need to replace the switch that tells the car it's closed? You are hoping it is just the hinge pin, but you think you have to replace the entire hinge.

Is that correct?
Old 05-11-17, 02:56 PM
lexixel
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

No, I think he meant that the detente is bad and the door clicks when it opens and closes. My car has this problem, and I've been living with it since I bought it last year. In my case, I think the pin hole is probably a little larger than normal. I'm not sure how the detente can be changed; I don't really mind. It's not like I'm driving a Rolls or AM or Ferrari; old cars have small problems but it doesn't stop me from enjoying it when it runs.
Old 05-11-17, 06:58 PM
Bearsfan
Driver School Candidate

Lexical is correct. Between the two hinges on the doors, there is a black strap that Lexus identifies as the 'door stop'. The pin that is on the bracket up against the frame is worn and the door creaks when you open and close it. Yes, it's a used car and it's 13 years old, but that's the only thing on this car that does not function as it should so I want to make it right. Anyway, I ordered the part, and I've read so many helpful articles here that I thought I would ask for some advice before I tackled this job.

Last edited by Bearsfan; 05-12-17 at 04:52 AM.
Old 05-12-17, 06:52 AM
pynky01
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please give us a heads up on your progress .. ...thanx...
Old 05-12-17, 08:56 AM
lexixel
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

OK, so did you order the "Door check assembly": http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...rchString=door

Now I live in Belgium. I asked the dealer for a quote on the engine mounts, and the part is 196 eur for one + 21% tax. On this website it's $77. I can assume that this door check is $3~400. No thanks.
Old 05-14-17, 11:53 AM
Bearsfan
Driver School Candidate

I did order the part. The parts number matches what you posted (68620-24010). It was $99.00 with shipping and tax. I will fill you in and take pictures of the assembly process.
Old 05-24-17, 06:20 PM
Bearsfan
Driver School Candidate

So I replaced the door check. Sorry, I don't have pictures though. I followed the post on replacing the speakers on the door for an SC430, and then removed the subwoofer in the door in order to access the door check. There is one bolt on the frame that need to be removed, and two nuts on the interior of the door that also need to be removed and the door check easily is removed from the hole where the speaker was. Make sure you make note of the direction the hinge of the old door check was in when you remove it so you can ensure the new door check is installed in the same direction.
Old 05-24-17, 07:30 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 854 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearsfan
So I replaced the door check. Sorry, I don't have pictures though. I followed the post on replacing the speakers on the door for an SC430, and then removed the subwoofer in the door in order to access the door check. There is one bolt on the frame that need to be removed, and two nuts on the interior of the door that also need to be removed and the door check easily is removed from the hole where the speaker was. Make sure you make note of the direction the hinge of the old door check was in when you remove it so you can ensure the new door check is installed in the same direction.
did it correct the problem?
also, please post pictures of the bad door stop so we can see a bad one.
Old 05-31-17, 11:49 PM
Chaditotx
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
did it correct the problem?
also, please post pictures of the bad door stop so we can see a bad one.
The door stops (door checks also called door straps dependent of mfr) don't usually show any signs visually that they are damaged. Most often, you will get a scraping or "popping" sound when you open and close the door. I have replaced a few over the years here in Texas mostly on trucks that have seen hard use (work trucks) or vehicles that have been driven a lot on dusty roads. The stops usually have a grease that has been applied internally (the part that you can't see inside the door) and the grease seems to like dust and sand. Over time heat, and sand will wear away at the internals and cause them to fail. I had the wind blow my door open pretty hard years ago in a Ford, and it broke the door stop as well. You can actually feel a pop or snap in the door handle when you open the door. Even with the door stop removed, it's hard to tell it's damaged. The SC430 I just bought has one that's a little noisy, but at $100 I may just live with it ,