SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Electric boot conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-17, 03:21 PM
alex2016g
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Electric boot conversion

Iv been wanting to do this conversion for a long time and now that my original struts have failed it seems like a no brainer but no one seems to have any idea how to do it. Search the mighty CL forum and came up empty too.

So while I am waiting for my ordered IS-F sway bar I was wondering if anyone has done this? Or has any clue what electric struts might fit or even where to look for them?

My thinking is: The only way to open the boot is ether with a key fob or by pressing a button under the steering wheel which both unlocks and unlatches the boot, adding an electric strut that catches the signal that is sent to the boot latch and then operates electric struts seems like an easy mod.
Old 02-23-17, 07:20 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

You're right. It's not a popular mod and I've never "heard" it discussed here. Good luck with your search!
Old 02-24-17, 09:10 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

I don't think the struts are involved with the convertible top retraction/opening, but I wonder if the struts needs at least a little bit of movement for the top to work.

An electric strut MIGHT NOT have that.

You can probably contact this guy on ebay and see http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Black-Pow...NW51wd&vxp=mtr
Old 02-24-17, 09:36 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Non OEM struts cost as little as 30.00. Electric I am sure would be expensive and could cause you more trouble then worth
Old 03-01-17, 05:55 AM
alex2016g
Rookie

Originally Posted by DashingDar
I don't think the struts are involved with the convertible top retraction/opening, but I wonder if the struts needs at least a little bit of movement for the top to work.

An electric strut MIGHT NOT have that.

You can probably contact this guy on ebay and see http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Black-Pow...NW51wd&vxp=mtr
Thanks for the advice, tried to contact him but ebay says that I am unable to contact the seller for some reason, any idea why?
Old 03-06-17, 11:38 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

This is a great idea! I'd be really interested in this mod. If there was a way to retain the classic hydraulic lifters that would automatically raise and lower the rear deck, it would be awesome. "Hands free" operation from the dash button or the key fob button. Please keep us posted if anyone comes up with a reasonable solution.
Old 03-10-17, 01:01 AM
alex2016g
Rookie

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
This is a great idea! I'd be really interested in this mod. If there was a way to retain the classic hydraulic lifters that would automatically raise and lower the rear deck, it would be awesome. "Hands free" operation from the dash button or the key fob button. Please keep us posted if anyone comes up with a reasonable solution.
Cant seem to contact the guy from ebay from the link that was given to me above but I found a Chinese company that make after market electronic studs for a large variety of cars and they seem to be really good as well, providing the whole package including: Control Module, Electric Door Poles, Wiring Cables, Button for boot and Dash, Brackets and Manuals. I have contacted them too and they said that they don't support the SC at this time but will keep me updated. I don't know if they had many if any requests for this model. My thought is if at least some of us make inquires then maybe they will at least start the process. the full list of supported and upcoming models is here.

Here is their website and FB:
http://www.che1.com/product/tl105-el...assist-system/
www.facebook.com/autoease/

Also they have an SDK that they give out for free, I presume it is for the Control module, but that is a bit out of my league.
Old 03-10-17, 06:08 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
Default purpose

I Have been following this thread since the beginning and was wondering what is the primary benefit of this. Is it the coolness factor to be able to open your trunk completely with out having to lift it manually or is it something else. My concern would be that could there be interferences with the remote top ecu that could cause trouble and malfunction

My two cents

Originally Posted by alex2016g
Cant seem to contact the guy from ebay from the link that was given to me above but I found a Chinese company that make after market electronic studs for a large variety of cars and they seem to be really good as well, providing the whole package including: Control Module, Electric Door Poles, Wiring Cables, Button for boot and Dash, Brackets and Manuals. I have contacted them too and they said that they don't support the SC at this time but will keep me updated. I don't know if they had many if any requests for this model. My thought is if at least some of us make inquires then maybe they will at least start the process. the full list of supported and upcoming models is here.

Here is their website and FB:
http://www.che1.com/product/tl105-el...assist-system/
www.facebook.com/autoease/

Also they have an SDK that they give out for free, I presume it is for the Control module, but that is a bit out of my league.
Old 03-10-17, 09:44 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

I don't see any cars on the list. It looks like it is all SUV's. There probably is a reason for that.
Old 03-10-17, 09:50 AM
alex2016g
Rookie

Originally Posted by mrblister
I Have been following this thread since the beginning and was wondering what is the primary benefit of this. Is it the coolness factor to be able to open your trunk completely with out having to lift it manually or is it something else. My concern would be that could there be interferences with the remote top ecu that could cause trouble and malfunction

My two cents
For me it will be the ease of use to be honest. I just became a dad 3 month ago and currently using the SC as my main car so I end up using the boot nearly every time I use the car, loading, unloading the pram, shopping, etc. and it will probably look cool too.
Old 03-12-17, 09:58 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Pram - definition of pram by The Free Dictionary

pram 1 (prăm) n. Chiefly British. A baby carriage. [Shortening and alteration of perambulator.] pram 2 (präm) n. 1. A small dinghy having a flat, snub-nosed bow.
Old 03-12-17, 04:58 PM
Lesly1
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I think he'd be referring to a stroller that folds into practically nothing. But then again for a 3 month old you would need a pram. I guess it would have to be a low profile folding pram. Congratulations on your newborn.

Chris......From OZ
Old 03-12-17, 09:23 PM
alex2016g
Rookie

Originally Posted by DashingDar

Pram - definition of pram by The Free Dictionary

pram 1 (prăm) n. Chiefly British. A baby carriage. [Shortening and alteration of perambulator.] pram 2 (präm) n. 1. A small dinghy having a flat, snub-nosed bow.
Originally Posted by Lesly1
I think he'd be referring to a stroller that folds into practically nothing. But then again for a 3 month old you would need a pram. I guess it would have to be a low profile folding pram. Congratulations on your newborn.

Chris......From OZ
haha didnt realise that "pram" wasn't used in america.

​​​​​​​Thanks Chris and that thing is not low profile at all lol