SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Key Fob Range

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-17, 04:08 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Key Fob Range

Hey all, so I've been noticing a decreased range with my key fob. When I first got the car, I could get nearly 75 yards, if unobstructed. I tried to read all the previous posts about key fobs and related posts. Unfortunately, couldn't find anything helpful (However, I did find an awesome post by Habious et all on adding a cell phone to the car to allow LuxLink operation from a smart phone). Two caveats, I do have an aftermarket switchblade key which works perfectly as a physical key. The electronic guts from the OEM blade key snaps right into place of this switchblade key. Therefore, the electronic guts of the key has not been altered in any way. Secondly, I have a LuxLink installed. In any case, my problem has gotten worse and I can see a few possible reasons off the bat that I have tried to troubleshoot.
1) Key battery is low- replaced the battery, no change in short distance
2) The aftermarket key is the culprit- pulled out my extra OEM key, replaced the battery with a fresh new one to the OEM key- same problem, short distance
3) Hardware in the car is failing- I do not know the location of the sensor/antenna (I was told it was in the rearview mirror)- I cleaned the sensors on the front and rear of the mirror. No change in short distance.
4) Luxlink is causing the problem- will call Steve on Monday to get his insight
5) General interference from all the 2.4 Ghz, 5.0Ghz, etc in society causing signal interruption..

I know that many use the "touch the fob to the chin" method but that is not a permanent fix (not to mention that I feel ridiculous). Has anyone had similar problems with decreased distance? Has anyone found a fix to increase the distance of the OEM Factory Alarm System? Anyway, thanks in advance to anyone who can offer any advice or other possible troubleshooting steps.
Old 02-05-17, 04:16 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Typically when my range starts decreasing, the fob battery is on its way out. I'd look at replacing the battery first.
Old 02-05-17, 04:27 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Harold57
Typically when my range starts decreasing, the fob battery is on its way out. I'd look at replacing the battery first.
Thanks but I've already replaced with new batteries... didn't resolve the problem.
Old 02-05-17, 05:38 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

How new were the new batteries? Some batteries on ebay can be not so fresh. I've had to change out batteries not long after changing them because the "new" batteries were not any good. If you have a battery tester, you might make sure that they are good enough.
Old 02-05-17, 06:25 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

Steve at luxury motorworks the lux link mentioned when he was walking me through the operation of the unit to not have the key in your palm. Must point out when being used.

to extend its range steve put the exposed part of the key against his bare neck.

skin conducts the signal extending the range.
Old 02-06-17, 05:16 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Thanks for the advice. All batteries are brand new, sealed packaged Energizer Cr1616. Tested them and they are full charge. Additionally, I've tried holding it by the plastic housing and avoiding contact with the metal blade, as well as the chin (skin contact). Nothing has improved the problem. Literally, I have to be in arms reach of the car to get the system to respond and even then it will only respond in certain locations/degrees of the car. For example, it seems to respond better on the passenger side at waist level. It does not respond when directly in front of the car or directly behind the car. The car seems to respond best at 15degrees of center compared to the center of the dash and 15 degrees off center of the trunk.
In any case, spoke with Steve today, and got his advice. He can't point to anything specific that could be causing my issues. He did mention, however, that my 5% limo tint (if metallic- which I don't know) could be the issue. Unfortunately, I've had the tint for about 6 years and these problems started about 2 years ago so the timeline doesn't add up. Additionally, I was thinking to maybe extended the car's internal alarm system antenna. Can anyone provide any schematic where it might be mounted?
Old 02-06-17, 05:22 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Thanks for the advice. All batteries are brand new, sealed packaged Energizer Cr1616. Tested them and they are full charge. Additionally, I've tried holding it by the plastic housing and avoiding contact with the metal blade, as well as the chin (skin contact). Nothing has improved the problem. Literally, I have to be in arms reach of the car to get the system to respond and even then it will only respond in certain locations/degrees of the car. For example, it seems to respond better on the passenger side at waist level. It does not respond when directly in front of the car or directly behind the car. The car seems to respond best at 15degrees of center compared to the center of the dash and 15 degrees off center of the trunk.
In any case, spoke with Steve today, and got his advice. He can't point to anything specific that could be causing my issues. He did mention, however, that my 5% limo tint (if metallic- which I don't know) could be the issue. Unfortunately, I've had the tint for about 6 years and these problems started about 2 years ago so the timeline doesn't add up. Additionally, I was thinking to maybe extended the car's internal alarm system antenna. Can anyone provide any schematic where it might be mounted?
do you have more than one key?
Old 02-06-17, 05:29 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Yup, I have two OEM Keys... Tried to troubleshoot them in Step 2 in the first post. Tried both. No beneficial results.
Old 02-06-17, 06:27 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Yup, I have two OEM Keys... Tried to troubleshoot them in Step 2 in the first post. Tried both. No beneficial results.
crazy but it happened to me that new batteries measured fine but under load dropped the voltage a lot. Old.

cheap check just for grins. And make sure the replacements are the correct ones not the removed ones
Old 02-07-17, 09:06 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Still hoping someone can supply a SC430 service diagram or even indicate where the antenna runs so I can possibly extend or expose it. In any case, strange thing happened today. I went into our parking garage and most of my neighbors' cars had left for the day so the garage was near empty and the range increased to about 25 feet (farthest wall in the structure) with both keys. Could other cars' keyless entries be causing some type of interference or "eating/interrupting" the signal from my keybob? I don't know much about keyless entry system frequencies or on what Hertz they operate. Anyone have any insight?
Old 02-07-17, 09:53 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Still hoping someone can supply a SC430 service diagram or even indicate where the antenna runs so I can possibly extend or expose it. In any case, strange thing happened today. I went into our parking garage and most of my neighbors' cars had left for the day so the garage was near empty and the range increased to about 25 feet (farthest wall in the structure) with both keys. Could other cars' keyless entries be causing some type of interference or "eating/interrupting" the signal from my keybob? I don't know much about keyless entry system frequencies or on what Hertz they operate. Anyone have any insight?
the key fob system is one way. The fob is the transmitter and the car is the receiver. Have you tried it somewhere else with that same results?
perhaps something has been installed in the garage that is interfering with your fob. Someone may have something in their car that transmits, like wifi, just an example.

something to think about, especially if you are in a city like Chi town
http://www.theblaze.com/news/2015/04...s-in-virginia/

Last edited by Bgw70; 02-07-17 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-07-17, 11:07 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

I had the same thoughts as Bgw. Do you have the same problem outside of the garage (does the range change per the location)?
Old 02-07-17, 11:19 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

No the distance problem happens everywhere. Today, just was a stange observation,. Yesterday i had problem, I was in an open parking lot with lots of parked cars around me and it didn't respond until I put the key fob up to the window. Also yesterday morning while at the dentist with car parked in a parking garage with cars parked around me, didn't respond until I was in arms length of the driver mirror.

I will read the article more when I have a few minutes. Thanks.
Old 02-07-17, 11:45 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Most key fobs use either 315 MHz (mainly north American cars) or 433 MHz (mainly European or Asian cars). I'm not sure which one ours uses but both are fairly common use frequencies. 315 MHz is also used by garage door openers. How wide an area have you noticed the reduced range in? It would be interesting to know if it is still reduced when you leave town.

Short of that, I'm with you in finding where the remote antenna is located to determine if it has been disconnected, damaged or interfered with. Maybe a Lexus service adviser could tell you.
Old 02-07-17, 01:03 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

Does the lock and unlock buttons work the same? As in, do they work at the same range?

Possible, your fob is like my TV remote and the unlock button is worn out. I really have to push it hard to get it to change the channel.

Of course, since your backup remote has the same problem, that is probably not the issue.

I guess I will have to do what I always do and refer you to ebay http://www.ebay.com/gds/Top-5-Tips-i...8627254/g.html

Quick Reply: Key Fob Range