SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

My experience with Techstream software

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-15, 11:39 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts
Default My experience with Techstream software

After reading some of diggerJim's posts about using the Techstream software to enter new TPMS sensors into the system, I decided to buy a cable and see what I could do. I bought a cable off Amazon and even though the cable comes with software and drivers I downloaded the newer software and drivers from the internet. I have Windows 7 32bit on an old laptop and thought I would use it as my test platform. You can use it on 64 bit systems, but you have to load the drivers manually. Both drivers and software loaded and the cable was seen by Windows. Hooked it up to the car and it seemed like it was working. However, when it got to the point that you wanted to actually do anything Windows said the cable was not communicating with the software. I tried everything I knew how to do to make it work and could not. I then found a thread on an NSX site that talked about the firmware version of the cable. Apparently the older firmware is not always compatible with some cars. It may work, but may not. They point to a site in China that advertises and confirms they have cables with the latest firmware. So, I returned the one to Amazon and ordered one from China. It took about a week to get here and I just tried it and it works great. It enters the VIN and I have complete communication with the car. The new cable comes with the newest software and drivers also. The link to the site is included here.

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6...67355437975853
Old 06-03-15, 01:47 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I have Techstream too but have not used it but to set up simple things such as the standard options of the locking, unlocking, etc.. I also do not see the option to set up the TPMS.

I basically gave up on it. I had issues with loading the software as the oldest laptop I have is a VISTA. Perhaps I should downgrade it to XP and re-try.
Old 06-03-15, 02:44 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I have Techstream too but have not used it but to set up simple things such as the standard options of the locking, unlocking, etc.. I also do not see the option to set up the TPMS.

I basically gave up on it. I had issues with loading the software as the oldest laptop I have is a VISTA. Perhaps I should downgrade it to XP and re-try.
As I said, I am using Windows 7 32 bit. If your Vista is 64 bit it is usable, but you have to load drivers manually. If it is 32 bit it is likely that the cable is not the correct firmware version.
Old 06-03-15, 07:56 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah we found there are two versions of the cable/firmware - the Amazon one is the older one and at least one of the ebay vendors has the newer one. The older one works on some (my 2008 and a 2006 we tested) but not all (a 2002). There's a link in my ISO CT SC thread to the correct/newest ebay cable.
Old 06-04-15, 05:58 AM
iolmaster
Racer

The old firmware version is either 1.4.6 or 1.4.7. The new version is 2.0.4. If you make sure the cable has the new version it takes a great deal of the pain out of installation and use. It is not written on any of the cables. You just have to make sure the vendor specifies.
Old 06-04-15, 09:30 AM
mandyfig

I will have to re-try on my Techstream, it will be awesome if I can do the TPMS.
Old 06-04-15, 03:46 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Yes, me too. I know I can read the TPMS sensors using techstream. I can see voltage, tire pressure, temp etc. I hope that means I can program new TPMS sensors because one of my four sensors are showing a low voltage.
Old 06-04-15, 03:49 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Yes, me too. I know I can read the TPMS sensors using techstream. I can see voltage, tire pressure, temp etc. I hope that means I can program new TPMS sensors because one of my four sensors are showing a low voltage.
If you can see the voltage, temp etc. then you should be able to program the sensors. That means the software is communicating with the car.
Old 06-04-15, 03:53 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by iolmaster
If you can see the voltage, temp etc. then you should be able to program the sensors. That means the software is communicating with the car.
That is what I was hoping to read. Thank you for setting me straight!
Old 06-04-15, 06:18 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently purchased this from another vendor. I have version 9.30.002 but the driver would not install on Win 7. The program runs but the cable doesn't connect to the car because it doesn't find the drivers. Was thinking to install XP in a new Partition on the computer but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Old 06-05-15, 07:18 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
I recently purchased this from another vendor. I have version 9.30.002 but the driver would not install on Win 7. The program runs but the cable doesn't connect to the car because it doesn't find the drivers. Was thinking to install XP in a new Partition on the computer but haven't gotten around to it yet.
The drivers will not install from the .msi file on a 64 bit system. I had no problem installing on a Windows 7 32 bit machine. The first cable the drivers would not install. the second cable with the updated firmware was no problem. I plugged it in and the USB serial port driver was found on Windows update and the other driver installed from the .msi install. A new device is found in the Device manager called "Vehicle Interface Module" A new device is also found in the Ports(COM & LPT) category called USB serial port. Mine is on (COM4) but your system may assign a different COM. the VIM driver is what is in the .msi file. The USB driver is generic. There are some good youtube videos and other info available as to how to manually install the drivers on a 64 bit machine. There is even one ebay vendor that is advertising that their software and drivers are compatible with all flavors of Windows. It is a shame that there is so much confusion.
Old 06-05-15, 09:18 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for that idolmaster. I'll look formthe viedo and also try with a 32 bit machine.
Old 06-06-15, 08:04 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
Thanks for that idolmaster. I'll look formthe viedo and also try with a 32 bit machine.
Just so there is no misunderstanding. Just because you put it on a 32 bit machine does not mean it will work. It may. You have to make sure you have a cable with firmware version 2.0.4 to be positive. We are just talking about the drivers here, not if the cable will work with your car.
Old 06-06-15, 09:48 AM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I followed the instructions in this link and my Techstream drivers work perfectly on a Windows 7 64 bit laptop. If you read the thread it mentions not trying to upgrade the cable firmware as it can brick the cable.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1920724
Old 06-06-15, 11:46 AM
mandyfig

Thank you very much, I will try this on my W7 64 bit.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: My experience with Techstream software