SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Shifter/Power Switch/VSC Switch/LED Mod

Old 12-06-14, 04:09 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shifter/Power Switch/VSC Switch/LED Mod

I don't know about you, but the shifter bulb, Power and VSC switch lights are too dim and greenish for my taste. I decided to upgrade the incandescent bulbs to white LEDs. I wrote a tutorial for anyone interested and brave enough to take on this mod.

I also provided a picture with the Shift bulb and Power Switch LEDs installed and the VSC switch OEM incandescent bulb left in place as reference for you to judge.

The Power switch requires a 10mm T4 Neo Wedge LED and the VSC switch an 8mm T3 Neo Wedge SMD LED. The shifter light was replaced with Xenon White 3-SMD-1210 LED bulb. Refer to the pdf for details.
Attached Thumbnails Shifter/Power Switch/VSC Switch/LED Mod-shifter-and-power.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LED Shifter Light Upgrade.pdf (1.61 MB, 513 views)
Old 12-06-14, 05:26 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by DarthSid
I don't know about you, but the shifter bulb, Power and VSC switch lights are too dim and greenish for my taste. I decided to upgrade the incandescent bulbs to white LEDs. I wrote a tutorial for anyone interested and brave enough to take on this mod.

I also provided a picture with the Shift bulb and Power Switch LEDs installed and the VSC switch OEM incandescent bulb left in place as reference for you to judge.

The Power switch requires a 10mm T4 Neo Wedge LED and the VSC switch an 8mm T3 Neo Wedge SMD LED. The shifter light was replaced with Xenon White 3-SMD-1210 LED bulb. Refer to the pdf for details.
Amazing DIY write up. I just saved it and printed it. I never thought to swap the lights for brighter ones.

Great work
Old 12-06-14, 06:16 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mrblister
Amazing DIY write up. I just saved it and printed it. I never thought to swap the lights for brighter ones.

Great work
Thanks

I first thought the light behind the switches were LEDs. When I took the shifter apart I discovered the change out was easier, and just bulbs in the shifter and switches with green membrane. The challenge was locating the correct LEDs, and I must include trying to figure out how to take the shifter apart without breaking parts. Ebay vendors sell the LEDs in pairs, six pieces, etc. the plus is the items are very reasonable, and if you are lucky, no tax or shipping charges.
Old 12-06-14, 06:40 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Here is a comparison photo of the shifter and VSC switch LED bulbs vs the OEM bulbs. I excluded the Power switch bulb since is similar to the VSC bulb, but just 2mm wider.
Attached Thumbnails Shifter/Power Switch/VSC Switch/LED Mod-image.jpg  
Old 12-06-14, 07:31 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Awesome !! Great work darthsid! I thought you had to solder these on!! Looks like plug n play. How about the cluster? Was soldering involved there?

Thanks
Old 12-06-14, 08:17 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bimmer416
Awesome !! Great work darthsid! I thought you had to solder these on!! Looks like plug n play. How about the cluster? Was soldering involved there?

Thanks
The instrument cluster has SMD LEDs that are soldered to the circuit board and more complex to work on. The shifter, Power & VSC switches have bulbs which is not as challenging. The shifter bulb is a straight plug in type and both switches have cluster type bulbs. There is no soldering required on this mod. The greatest challenge for this mod is knowing how to dismantle the shifter and removing the switches to expose the bulb clusters. Thx
Old 12-09-14, 08:13 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

lol ok I will stay away from the cluster then!! my shifter lights are faded too.. I will attemp this when its warmer here! Thank you again
Old 12-09-14, 08:41 AM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice - great job!

I had this area all torn down a bit ago when I installed a Parrot bluetooth so at least I know how to do that part.
Old 12-09-14, 04:23 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
Very nice - great job!

I had this area all torn down a bit ago when I installed a Parrot bluetooth so at least I know how to do that part.
Thank you.

Just order your parts in advance. One bit of advice. The VSC switch back base is much easier to remove than the Power switch. The VSC switch comes with a white backing. The Power switch has a black back and in order to replace the bulb you must remove the entire switch housing.
Attached Thumbnails Shifter/Power Switch/VSC Switch/LED Mod-t3_8mm_vsc.jpg   Shifter/Power Switch/VSC Switch/LED Mod-vsc_switch.jpg   Shifter/Power Switch/VSC Switch/LED Mod-vsc-removal_switch.jpg  
Old 12-09-14, 05:08 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Thanks Sid!

btw I wonder if these lights can be changed too ? (plug and play hopefully..) as well as the door switches.. hating the green!! be nice if that temperature display light could be change to something easier on the eyes

Shifter/Power Switch/VSC Switch/LED Mod-imag2011.jpg
Old 12-12-14, 11:19 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

ordered the led's! cant wait! lol as you can see not a fan of green lights at all.

Darthsid is there any way of changing those other ones (climate control area to be specific)? I mean only if plug and play, not sure if you have checked there.. I might check myself when i open it up.

Thank you
Old 12-12-14, 12:53 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bimmer416
ordered the led's! cant wait! lol as you can see not a fan of green lights at all.

Darthsid is there any way of changing those other ones (climate control area to be specific)? I mean only if plug and play, not sure if you have checked there.. I might check myself when i open it up.

Thank you
bimmer16, I have not had the opportunity to inspect the climate controller. I'm not sure the style of lights in the controller. PM if you require help with the shifter lights mod.
Old 12-15-14, 07:27 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Great write up! Can you please give an itemized shopping list. I see you ordered some additional lights but what is the minimum required of each type of bulb and for which specific application? I got a little confused. Were the letters on switches clear or tinted green (specifically the "VSC Off"). Can you leave the green rubber off and get a white VSC Off? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-15-14, 09:03 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Great write up! Can you please give an itemized shopping list. I see you ordered some additional lights but what is the minimum required of each type of bulb and for which specific application? I got a little confused. Were the letters on switches clear or tinted green (specifically the "VSC Off"). Can you leave the green rubber off and get a white VSC Off? Thanks in advance.

Thanks ShawnOk. The OEM bulbs have a green membrane that can be removed to reveal a clear glass bulb. The OEM bulbs are approximately 4300K. The LED lights I installed are 6000K. The lettering on the switches is white. The shifter letters is closer to an opaque lettering for “P, 4-D, 3, 2-L.” The “R” is closer to an orange red with the “N” in green lettering. You choice! You can remove the membrane to see if the lighting is to your satisfaction. Here is a part list of the LEDs bulbs I purchased on Ebay. The quantity varies vendor to vendor. Some sell 2, others 4 or more. I hope the pdf will help guide you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Shifter Lights.pdf (130.0 KB, 391 views)
Old 12-16-14, 08:17 AM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Little hint on the power switch removal please...I tried last night and couldn't...I was afraid of breaking off the housing...Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shifter/Power Switch/VSC Switch/LED Mod