SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Air suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-14, 12:40 PM
Black31385
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Air suspension question

Hello, I just recently made a purchase on a 02 SC430 and want to lower the car. I want to add air suspension but do not know what to get or what is needed. What will the cost be around and cost of installation. Thanks and any help is appreciated
Old 08-23-14, 04:30 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Black31385
Hello, I just recently made a purchase on a 02 SC430 and want to lower the car. I want to add air suspension but do not know what to get or what is needed. What will the cost be around and cost of installation. Thanks and any help is appreciated
....there are a couple of guys here, that have gone with the air suspensions, so hopefully they will chime in
Old 08-24-14, 01:30 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 46 Posts

Hi
I have air on my SC and it was purchased from Universal Air Supplies on your side of the pond. My existing coilovers were adapted by Zack at UAS to accept the bags. You will need coilovers to get the adjustment with air.'
They have specific kits on their website for the SC.
Obviously I had to pay shipping and import duty, so my cost would not be relevant and I installed it myself.
There are various companies your side of the pond that you can get what you want from. Another is Air-ride.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-25-14, 10:56 AM
Black31385
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WIL44
Hi
I have air on my SC and it was purchased from Universal Air Supplies on your side of the pond. My existing coilovers were adapted by Zack at UAS to accept the bags. You will need coilovers to get the adjustment with air.'
They have specific kits on their website for the SC.
Obviously I had to pay shipping and import duty, so my cost would not be relevant and I installed it myself.
There are various companies your side of the pond that you can get what you want from. Another is Air-ride.

Cheers
Steve
Thanks for the response. What is the difference between yours and the air ride? I thought it was the same
Old 08-25-14, 11:10 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Thanks for the response. What is the difference between yours and the air ride? I thought it was the same
I think all the suppliers offer different options, one of the guys on here is installing air at the moment and he has completely different bags to mine that he purchased from Air Ride.
Mine is Accuair with the Elevel touch controls and UAS sport bags, but there are many other options you could choose.
Old 09-09-14, 12:22 AM
Black31385
Intermediate

Thanks for your help. I really like the air suspension but I need the trunk space. I have been looking around for the tein ednc. Have you had any experiences with that?
Old 09-09-14, 06:03 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for your help. I really like the air suspension but I need the trunk space. I have been looking around for the tein ednc. Have you had any experiences with that?

Tein is a static coilover setup that is height and dampening adjustable, but not like air. You still need to remove the wheels and spin the coil collars either up or down. The EDFC only adjust the dampening, not the ride height.

I do not like UAS......look at Air Runner or iDeal. They'll cost more, but UAS is a universal unit but I rather specific applications for your car.
Old 09-09-14, 12:00 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by MrMark
Tein is a static coilover setup that is height and dampening adjustable, but not like air. You still need to remove the wheels and spin the coil collars either up or down. The EDFC only adjust the dampening, not the ride height.

I do not like UAS......look at Air Runner or iDeal. They'll cost more, but UAS is a universal unit but I rather specific applications for your car.
Hi Mr Mark.
Not sure what you mean by 'a universal unit'?
My system has UAS Bags, pipes, air tank and the conversion parts for the Megans, but the rest of it is Viair compressors, Accuair operating system, Elevel and mounts. All supplied by UAS.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-09-14, 12:25 PM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Hi Mr Mark.
Not sure what you mean by 'a universal unit'?
My system has UAS Bags, pipes, air tank and the conversion parts for the Megans, but the rest of it is Viair compressors, Accuair operating system, Elevel and mounts. All supplied by UAS.

Cheers
Steve

Right, conversion parts for your car and the Megan's. I've had issues with UAS with their conversion parts and some leaks in their fittings. I'd rather pay a little more for a strut/bag unit specifically designed for our cars. The Viair/Accurai/Elevel are all products that can be integrated into just about any air setup. That's just my personal choice.
Old 09-09-14, 01:49 PM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What he means is some companies make car specific air struts where as Universal Air will supply you with brackets for your existing coilovers so that you can mount the airbags in place of the springs.

for example K Sport Air Struts

Universal Air with your existing coilovers.
Old 09-09-14, 02:05 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by IcEnPinKi
What he means is some companies make car specific air struts where as Universal Air will supply you with brackets for your existing coilovers so that you can mount the airbags in place of the springs.

for example K Sport Air Struts

Universal Air with your existing coilovers.
Hi Will
Thanks for the clarification. I was unaware you could get specific Air Struts for our cars when I bought mine. It was your original air setup that I followed at the time.
Cheers
Steve
Old 09-09-14, 02:10 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by MrMark
Right, conversion parts for your car and the Megan's. I've had issues with UAS with their conversion parts and some leaks in their fittings. I'd rather pay a little more for a strut/bag unit specifically designed for our cars. The Viair/Accurai/Elevel are all products that can be integrated into just about any air setup. That's just my personal choice.
I understand now, thanks. Wills pictures helped me understand.
I must say though, that my UAS setup has worked faultlessly since I installed it, but to be fair I only do about 3k miles a year in the car.
Old 09-09-14, 04:01 PM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

I understand now, thanks. Wills pictures helped me understand.
I must say though, that my UAS setup has worked faultlessly since I installed it, but to be fair I only do about 3k miles a year in the car.
Well that's a good thing !!! I had UAS on my M45 and hated them.....but that may be a one time thing. Also a couple customers had some issues too, but again, if you're setup is fine then that's good for you.
Old 09-10-14, 07:01 AM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For air suspension if installed incorrectly can become a nightmare. If you decide to go that route it would be best to read up on it and actually know how the system works. I've done both, but driving on just coilovers was too much for me to bear with the horrible road conditions that I have to drive thru daily. At least with the air suspension I can actually lift the car to clear obstacles with a push of a button. Riding on coilovers you will rarely have any issues as long as you adjust to a reasonable driving height and not slammed to the ground. Air suspension will run you a few thousands where as coilovers will cost you maybe $1000.00