SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Valve cover gasket

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-12, 01:23 PM
NEWONE1
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Valve cover gasket

Has anyone posted how to replace valve cover gaskets on 2002 430sc???
Old 04-24-12, 01:36 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by NEWONE1
Has anyone posted how to replace valve cover gaskets on 2002 430sc???
Welcome to CL newone.

It is amazing how many new members join the forum and the first thing they do is ask the members for help.
Maybe it would be a good idea to tell us about your car and post some pics first, before asking for assistance.
Sorry to be so blunt, but the members on here are brilliant and will help you as much as they can, but surely if would be good to say 'Hi' first.

Just my two pence.

Best regards
Steve
Old 04-24-12, 01:57 PM
NEWONE1
Pit Crew

Sorry steve to have offended you for improper protocol.....i have viewed the forum for a long time but have never posted a question.didn't know it would hurt your feelings; an answer to my question would have taken you just as long to answer rather than your negative "welcome to the forum!"
Old 04-24-12, 02:06 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

How many miles does your car have?
Old 04-24-12, 02:14 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by NEWONE1
Sorry steve to have offended you for improper protocol.....i have viewed the forum for a long time but have never posted a question.didn't know it would hurt your feelings; an answer to my question would have taken you just as long to answer rather than your negative "welcome to the forum!"
I don't know the 'proper protocol' or the answer to your question newone, but I do possess reasonable manners and try to use them on here.
If you have viewed CL for a long time then you must have seen that members use 'please' and 'thankyou' quite a lot.

Best regards
Steve
Old 04-24-12, 02:50 PM
NEWONE1
Pit Crew

95000 miles noticed small amt of oil on top of 2 plugs when I changed them. Was told valve cover gaskets are leaking and going thru boots
Old 04-24-12, 07:59 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

There are valve cover gaskets and plug seals in the valve covers that the plugs and coil packs go through - either or both could be leaking. Valve cover gaskets would show oil seeping or leaking on the outside engine surfaces outside the gasket material.
Old 04-25-12, 06:28 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 Jabberwock
Old 04-25-12, 10:16 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

In that case, your spark plug seals are leaking which are located on the valve cover (top).
Old 04-26-12, 12:29 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WIL44
Welcome to CL newone.

It is amazing how many new members join the forum and the first thing they do is ask the members for help.
Maybe it would be a good idea to tell us about your car and post some pics first, before asking for assistance.
Sorry to be so blunt, but the members on here are brilliant and will help you as much as they can, but surely if would be good to say 'Hi' first.

Just my two pence.

Best regards
Steve
Steve - Chill mate!. Most people join Forums to either obtain knowledge or impart same. There is nothing wrong in posting a question as a first post.

As the OP's knowledge increases or questions are posted about subjects that he/she is knowledgeable in, I am sure that he/she will contribute.

The OP has done nothing wrong.
Old 04-26-12, 11:50 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by harleydjce
Steve - Chill mate!. Most people join Forums to either obtain knowledge or impart same. There is nothing wrong in posting a question as a first post.

As the OP's knowledge increases or questions are posted about subjects that he/she is knowledgeable in, I am sure that he/she will contribute.

The OP has done nothing wrong.
Hi Harleydjce

I never said he/she had done anything wrong and as I said I don't know the correct protocol.
Maybe it is just the 'American' way that I am not used to.

The following is a new member asking for help in what I would class as a well mannered way.
Just me being 'old school' I suppose.

Best regards
Steve

"Good day and thanks in advance to any help, rendered or attempted. I am not a regular Lexus lurker but, might be now. My father purchased a used/abused SC430 (cheap I think) and handed me the keys when it could not pass inspection. The conditions and attempted fixes are as follows.

> Vehicle: 2003 (10/02) SC430 129k wrecked and restored (not sure how bad but, poor body and paint work)

> Codes: MIL, VSC, VSC OFF, P0051 (all return after reset at approx 10-20 miles)

> Attempted fix: R/R B2S1 O2 with Denso OEM style (old sensor looked relatively new; little to no carbon build up but, dad says the guy said its the O2!! ) Reset PCM x3 Recoded after a few short trips x3 No surprise there.

I have a Mindreader Code scanner and it is showing STFT at 99% on both upstream and downstream sensors on Bank 2 when engine is at operating temp.. Bank 1 up/down STFT seems to stay in single digits. Approx. -1 to +3. All O2 voltages seem normal. (I think)

I have a couple of ideas but, I hope I am wrong and would appreciate any input. I am total long time shade tree mech but, I can usually fix by Google. This one has me stumped after many hours research on the web and under the car.

Thanks again"
Old 04-26-12, 12:21 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Hi Harleydjce

I never said he/she had done anything wrong and as I said I don't know the correct protocol.

The following is a new member asking for help in what I would class as a well mannered way.
Just me being 'old school' I suppose.

Best regards
Steve

"Good day and thanks in advance to any help, rendered or attempted. I am not a regular Lexus lurker but, might be now. My father purchased a used/abused SC430 (cheap I think) and handed me the keys when it could not pass inspection. The conditions and attempted fixes are as follows.

> Vehicle: 2003 (10/02) SC430 129k wrecked and restored (not sure how bad but, poor body and paint work)

> Codes: MIL, VSC, VSC OFF, P0051 (all return after reset at approx 10-20 miles)

> Attempted fix: R/R B2S1 O2 with Denso OEM style (old sensor looked relatively new; little to no carbon build up but, dad says the guy said its the O2!! ) Reset PCM x3 Recoded after a few short trips x3 No surprise there.

I have a Mindreader Code scanner and it is showing STFT at 99% on both upstream and downstream sensors on Bank 2 when engine is at operating temp.. Bank 1 up/down STFT seems to stay in single digits. Approx. -1 to +3. All O2 voltages seem normal. (I think)

I have a couple of ideas but, I hope I am wrong and would appreciate any input. I am total long time shade tree mech but, I can usually fix by Google. This one has me stumped after many hours research on the web and under the car.

Thanks again"
Steve - I think you are correct. There are certainly some cultural differences in the way we write and communicate, sometimes exacerbated by the fact that people seem to have trouble understanding that this is a world forum. Also we are all pioneers in terms of communicating in this medium, this is the new wild west (cyberspace) and as such there are certainly no formal standards - so people are going to take this kind of stuff in varied ways based on their backgrounds and cultural mores. What amazes me is the general civility and helpfulness exhibited on the auto boards like this one - compared to the psycho swamp creature manners exhibited on some of the investment boards. People here sometimes get cranky but for the most part its pretty reasonable.
Old 04-26-12, 12:54 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Steve - I think you are correct. There are certainly some cultural differences in the way we write and communicate, sometimes exacerbated by the fact that people seem to have trouble understanding that this is a world forum. Also we are all pioneers in terms of communicating in this medium, this is the new wild west (cyberspace) and as such there are certainly no formal standards - so people are going to take this kind of stuff in varied ways based on their backgrounds and cultural mores. What amazes me is the general civility and helpfulness exhibited on the auto boards like this one - compared to the psycho swamp creature manners exhibited on some of the investment boards. People here sometimes get cranky but for the most part its pretty reasonable.
Hi Jabberwock

What can I say, but "WELL SAID".
That is the perfect analysis, thank you.

I will 'chill' from now on and accept what is said by members as 'cultural differences'.

Best regards
Steve
Old 04-27-12, 03:55 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Harleydjce

Steve I am sure you are a good guy too. As another poster said, this is a world forum. As such we can't just impose our own cultural protocols on others.

You are right in what you said but I would have just sent him a PM rather than responding to his first post with a (polite to be sure) public rebuke.

Its just not a good way to welcome someone to a Forum is all.

I have a serious issue with appalling spelling and grammar which is rampant on this Forum but I don't have a go at anyone (even gently). A lot of people use "loose" instead of "lose" etc. As for American spelling of words, don't get me started......
Old 04-27-12, 11:52 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by harleydjce
Steve I am sure you are a good guy too. As another poster said, this is a world forum. As such we can't just impose our own cultural protocols on others.

You are right in what you said but I would have just sent him a PM rather than responding to his first post with a (polite to be sure) public rebuke.

Its just not a good way to welcome someone to a Forum is all.

I have a serious issue with appalling spelling and grammar which is rampant on this Forum but I don't have a go at anyone (even gently). A lot of people use "loose" instead of "lose" etc. As for American spelling of words, don't get me started......
Hi Dave

Obviously I have 'opened a can of worms' (good old English saying) here and now wish I had'nt...........
I love this forum and I am not used to upsetting people.

Let me use a very American term, 'my bad' and we can all move on. Agreed?

Best regards
Steve

Quick Reply: Valve cover gasket