Injen Short Ram Intake Install Buggin' Me

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-13, 11:22 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Hi Steve,

You are very kind to say that my engine bay was cool.

In Georgia, during summertime (we hardly see spring anymore, winter to summer in a heartbeat) the summer temps are so high. With intake air at 95~100 degrees F and the heat gain from the engine bay (which I have seen a high as 10 degrees) the SC is penalized with it.

So therefore I sacrificed looks and went for function. I even went to the extent of installing a diverter in the grille to guide the air into that section of the engine bay. I went all out.

The good thing is it will not take a lot to undo it. For now it is staying.

I am now in the middle of seriously considering doing my timing belt change myself.

That’s the next big project!

Keep warm.

Mandy
Hi Mandy

'Oh to be in Georgia when the summer sun is shining'.

Totally understand your reasoning and in that temperature you are probably right.

Good on you if you do your timing belt yourself. I am pretty confident working on the mechanical parts of the car (I had a car repair business many years ago), but I value my engine too much to risk doing that myself. Had mine done by Lexus last year.

Winter has not really hit here yet, around 5 to 8 degrees Centigrade during the day, but my car is covered up for winter now (unfortunately my garage is not big enough) and may not come out again till the spring.

Good luck with the belt.
Steve
Old 08-12-19, 01:02 PM
Pep59
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Injen Short Ram Intake Install Buggin' Me

Completed installation.

Filter cleaning instructions.
IS2095P installation on a 2005 SC430

First, thanks to everyone who posted tips and pictures! The Injen directions are for a variety of models so having specific SC430 details helped!

Without repeating too much, here are some key points IMHO:

*set aside 2 hours for the job. I am a novice and like any project, I am sure I could do this job in less than an hour if I did it again.

*once you get your old air box disconnected, CLEAN your throttle body. I believe it would be a PITA to access once the new cold air intake is installed and bolted to your thermostat housing.

*on my car there were two bolt holes on the block where I could mount the twisted bracket for the OBD solenoid: one towards the firewall and one closer to the radiator. I had originally mounted the bracket towards the firewall until I noticed the vacuum hose provided was not long enough. The preferred bolt hole is the one for the OBD solenoid box.

*adjusting the thermostat housing nut was difficult because the rad hose was pushed all the way up against the housing and the rad hose clamp was in the way. I took the nut all the way OFF to mount the Injen and did not have to bend the bracket. I was able to get an open end wrench on the nut but not a socket.

*hoses and clamps: I bought a pair of 11-25mm for the wide hose on the intake, 8-22mm for the narrow hose on the intake, and maybe 15 mm for the small OBD hose? I trimmed the hoses (with my wife’s kitchen scissors) about an inch at a time until I was satisfied with the fit. If you leave the intake hoses the original length they may interfere with the engine cover (I chose not to trim my cover). I used a dab of silicone grease on the OBD solenoid for the smallest hose as it was a very tight fit and looked like a smaller ID than the OEM hose. Do not overtighten the clamps. If you see rubber squeezing up between the slots on the claps you may have gone too far.

*filter maintenance: the blue filter is a non-oiled filter and can be vacuumed on the outside or blown out from the inside with low pressure air.

*storage of original intake: I put the mounting bolts back into their places on the car and the intake into the Injen box in case I ever sell the car or upgrade to a 2010 :+)!
Old 08-13-19, 12:47 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by WIL44
Hi Mandy

'Oh to be in Georgia when the summer sun is shining'.

Totally understand your reasoning and in that temperature you are probably right.

Good on you if you do your timing belt yourself. I am pretty confident working on the mechanical parts of the car (I had a car repair business many years ago), but I value my engine too much to risk doing that myself. Had mine done by Lexus last year.

Winter has not really hit here yet, around 5 to 8 degrees Centigrade during the day, but my car is covered up for winter now (unfortunately my garage is not big enough) and may not come out again till the spring.

Good luck with the belt.
Steve

Hello Steve,

Wow, this post showed up today, talking about the Injen Intake. And I remember you talking about the Timing Belt. Well the TB change was completed by 2 Lexus Techs and it took them 2.5 hrs between the 2 of them. It cost me around $550, labor and parts (they brought 2 gallons of Lexus Coolant).

Anyway if you are still around, let us know how you are doing. The SC still gets the 2nd look and I still enjoy driving it. I did leave the roof open and it got rained on big time. I dried it as much as I can, after a few days, I tried to close the roof and I hear a click and no action. However after a week and a half, I tried to close it and it did. Whew! To all fellow members, please do not leave your top down even if the rain chance is 10%. It has to be zero!

Mandy

Last edited by mandyfig; 08-14-19 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-13-19, 02:33 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I keep a roll of plastic in my trunk just in case. The painters floor protection style. Small roll. $10 could save you thousands.

Speaking of intakes, any issues installing on a 2006+? All the intakes list being for the 01 - 03
Old 08-13-19, 09:05 PM
Pep59
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Lavrishevo,

If you scan through all the posts in this thread, I believe this part has been installed on many years other than 2001-2003 as stated in the Injen description. I installed this part on my 2005 with zero issues and I think it was stated somewhere that the new SC's did not have the OBD solenoid.

Right now the IS2095P is listed for under $150 on that online company named after the South American river :+).
Old 08-14-19, 11:58 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Hello Steve,

Wow, this post showed up today, talking about the Injen Intake. And I remember you talking about the Timing Belt. Well the TB change was completed by 2 Lexus Techs and it took them 2.5 hrs between the 2 of them. It cost me around $550, labor and parts (they brought 2 gallons of Lexus Coolant).

Anyway if you are still around, let us know how you are doing. The SC still gets the 2nd look and I still enjoy driving it. I did leave the roof open and it got rained on big time. I dried it as much as I can, after a few days, I tried to close the roof and I hear a click and no action. However after a week and a half, I tried to close it and it did. Whew! To all fellow members, please do not leave your top down even if the rain chance is 10%. It has to be zero!

Mandy
Hi Mandy
Good to hear from you.
Yes, I am still around and still have the SC.
Semi retired now, but I still don't get much time to drive it. Had it fifteen years now and cant believe I installed the Injen 8 years ago, where does the time go??
It has just gone over the 60,000 mile mark and I bought it with 30,000 so I have averaged just 2,000 miles a year!!!!
Still love the car and wili keep it until I cannot get in or out of it anymore.
Here is a recent picture of it.
Hope you and your family are doing well.
Cheers
Steve

Old 08-14-19, 12:27 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Oh Hello Steve,

I love your SC. And that Le Mans sticker is neat! Those are G Spyder Rims right? When did you put in the nice white top paint? Was it always there?

I hope to make it to England next year, I have a fratermity sister who lives in Devon, Axsminster and I have to see her and her husband who is a Brit. A fellow Scotch whisky aficionado!

Take care Steve.

Mandy
Old 08-17-19, 12:16 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Oh Hello Steve,

I love your SC. And that Le Mans sticker is neat! Those are G Spyder Rims right? When did you put in the nice white top paint? Was it always there?

I hope to make it to England next year, I have a fratermity sister who lives in Devon, Axsminster and I have to see her and her husband who is a Brit. A fellow Scotch whisky aficionado!

Take care Steve.

Mandy
Hi Mandy
Not G spiders, but had them so long now can't remember the make.
The roof was wrapped in silver years ago, been posted on hear many times since!!
Enjoy your trip to the UK
Cheers
Steve