SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-10, 06:57 AM
fwoIII
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield replacement

I am having my windshield replaced on Friday. The company my dealer recommends will do the work. They will be using a Lexus OE windshield.

Anything I should be aware of, or look for, as I follow this process.

After I get this done, I'm thinking about having the front end repainted to remove road rash that was present when I purchased the car 10 months ago.

Other than that, the car is in excellent condition.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-13-10, 07:25 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,056 Likes on 692 Posts

I put the 3m product called Invisible Shield on my wife's SC430 and my Acura RL. It is on the front bumper and about the first twelve inches of the hood. They have been on for four years and a great investment. There is not one mark on the bumpers. I wish that I had done the whole car however might not look so hot!!!
Old 10-13-10, 07:57 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Really using OEM glass, that's great. I hope they follow the installation guidelines. Here they are because there is a lot to do it correctly. I also agree on the invisible polyurethane for the hood once you have it repainted. Great product for protecting the hood from flying debris.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
windshield replacement.pdf (138.0 KB, 475 views)
Old 10-13-10, 07:59 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fwoIII
I am having my windshield replaced on Friday. The company my dealer recommends will do the work. They will be using a Lexus OE windshield.

After I get this done, I'm thinking about having the front end repainted to remove road rash that was present when I purchased the car 10 months ago.

Any thoughts?
How much will it cost you? glass + labor ?

Does anyone have an opinion/experience about non-factory windshield glass?
Old 10-13-10, 09:10 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Factory glass has a water repellent coating and a built in secondary antenna for the radio, most secondary or after-market windshields do not.
Old 10-13-10, 09:12 PM
KBALL
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Prasha
How much will it cost you? glass + labor ?

Does anyone have an opinion/experience about non-factory windshield glass?
I had mine replaced in august. I'll have to check on windshield maker. Took the guy an hour and 40 minutes. He had done my 4 runner twice and was done in half an hour on that car. The lexus was much trickier.

I have glass coverage on my auto.so insurance covered cost.
Old 10-14-10, 12:45 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fwoIII

Any thoughts?
Hi fwo,

This thread is interesting to me. I had my windshield replaced ~2 months ago.

When I owned my BMW 840 I had the windshield replaced and the shop did not make anything on it as they could only get the windshield from BMW and they had to pay a pretty penny for it. A few years later I had to have it replaced again ( BTW, I have zero deductible for glass ) and they used a 3rd party windshield.

When my SC needed a windshield, I called up the dealer and they said to just go directly to the shop that they would use; less headaches for them and they did not make any money on it. I called the shop and they said that they would use a 3rd party windshield ( ~$380 ) because the actual Lexus windshield was ~$1300. I then called up the windshield/glass company that I have been using for many years and they said the same thing; that my insurance company ( State Farm ) would never go the $1300 for a Lexus windshield.

I now have a PPG windshield in my car and I find nothing different in the way of anything with it in the car; at least, as far as I can determine.

Jerry Baumchen
Old 10-14-10, 02:07 PM
fwoIII
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have State Farm and the Glass company ordered a Lexus windshield from Lexus and installed it today. At first I and the glass company went through the aftermarket thing with the glass insurance dispatcher. The glass company had no problem getting the OEM windshield authorized.

Next, it goes in Monday to have the front end repainted. The 3M protection will be the last thing I do before our next trip.
Old 10-14-10, 04:27 PM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

I think glass prices are all over the place, not unlike everything else.

When I bought my car I was so jazzed I didn't notice a few deep scratches on the driver side window. A week after I called Park Place and they referred me to the glass shop they used. The guy quoted me $620!

I called my salesman and asked for some help. He got me to a totally different place who came out, really nice guy, totally pro and replaced it with Lexus OEM glass and it was a whopping $200. I asked the tech about that and he said that they did a lot more Lexus onsite work than the other company and they got better prices.

Whatever, it saved me some and I was happy to have the Lexus etched OEM on the car. Did it make a difference? Maybe not. But it's there just the same.

If anyone in the DFW area wants their info I will dig out the receipt and the contact info.
Old 10-15-10, 11:25 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Factory glass has a water repellent coating and a built in secondary antenna for the radio, most secondary or after-market windshields do not.
Originally Posted by JerryB
I now have a PPG windshield in my car and I find nothing different in the way of anything with it in the car; at least, as far as I can determine.

Jerry Baumchen
Jerry,

Have you noticed any difference in water shedding ability in the rain?

Harold
Old 10-15-10, 04:10 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Harold57
Jerry,

Have you noticed any difference in water shedding ability in the rain?

Harold
Hi Harold,

I rarely drive in the rain ( yes, I do know that it is Oregon ).

And we have been having a fantastic Indian Summer. I will know more in a month or so.

But for the very little that I had her out in the rain: No. As I said, I really see no problem with this 3rd party windshield.

Hope that this helps,

Jerry Baumchen