SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Engine oil additives? fuel system cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-10, 01:23 PM
ausbun
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine oil additives? fuel system cleaner?

when I visited my Lexus dealership today, I had them pull a service history.

A couple of items puzzled me.

At each 5,000 mile service, the items performed included "Install engine oil additives." Are those necessary at each oil change? I've never heard of a car manufacturer doing that.

Also on the jobs done was "Add one unit fuel system cleaner." This was at 15,000 miles, when the car was less than one year old. I haven't seen that on any car's list of service items, and it also seems a little soon.

Has anyone had any experiences with these.

I feel like such a n00b...
Old 08-20-10, 01:29 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

hmmmm....sounds like "add-ons" to increase the service dept profits. Most "additives" are about profits rather than performance IMO.
Old 08-20-10, 01:58 PM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My Lexus dealer doesn't include additives as part of the service regimen. As far as I am aware the manufacturer neither recommends or requires them. I don't recall a reference to fuel or oil additives in my owner's manual ('02) so I am pretty sure I am safe in saving my money. It would be interesting to hear your dealer's rationale.
Old 08-20-10, 02:58 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Its probably like the BS shop supplies, or misc lubricant disposal. in other words we as consumers are to be consumed
Old 08-20-10, 04:12 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ausbun
when I visited my Lexus dealership today, I had them pull a service history.

A couple of items puzzled me.

At each 5,000 mile service, the items performed included "Install engine oil additives." Are those necessary at each oil change? I've never heard of a car manufacturer doing that.

Also on the jobs done was "Add one unit fuel system cleaner." This was at 15,000 miles, when the car was less than one year old. I haven't seen that on any car's list of service items, and it also seems a little soon.

Has anyone had any experiences with these.

I feel like such a n00b...
Hi ausbun,

I am not an attorney but my son is.

Sounds like a typical dealer scam to me.

IMO if you did not order it, you are not liable to pay for it.

Any other reasons why anyone would go to a dealer?

Just my $0.02 worth . . .

Jerry Baumchen
Old 08-20-10, 04:37 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Pure gasoline can leave engine deposits and clog fuel lines. But almost all gas now is 10% ethanol. Ethanol dissolves those deposits, so there's no need to use any other additives or cleaners these days.
Old 08-20-10, 04:43 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Even current gasoline aren't immune from leaving deposits. I've pulled out injectors on cars with 25k miles on them and they already have deposits on them. This is coming from a car that uses only Chevron premium fuel.

I'm against engine additive in general, but fuel injector cleaners are okay, but there are only a handful of them that actually work. Most other ones are weak or have no cleaning ability.
Old 08-20-10, 04:48 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

the only ones I would use are fuel injector cleaner and fuel stabilizer
Old 08-20-10, 05:02 PM
MadHungari
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in general agreement with the observation that “Most ‘additives’ are about profits rather than performance” . . . . Until I read one of George Murphy’s regular columns (Murphy’s Law) in the March-April, 2010 issue of The Star (the Mercedes-Benz Club of America magazine). He started with a discussion of the adverse effects of Ethanol (E-10 gasoline) on older cars and all cars either driven relatively few miles per year (e.g., limited weekend use) or placed in storage (e.g., during the winter).

In addition to the usual precautions (e.g., keep the tank 95% full), Mr. Murphy recommends the use of a stabilizer/additive (e.g., Marine Formula STA-BIL Ethanol Treatment) at every fill-up, especially for those cars, but for all cars as well. He concludes “This will protect your car from ethanol-induced corrosion as well as keep the entire fuel system clean to avoid problems in the future.” Mr. Murphy is a director at large on the MBCA national board and appointed technical director of the club, and has been so for a number of years. I think he knows of what he speaks.

Last edited by MadHungari; 08-20-10 at 05:10 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-20-10, 06:02 PM
ausbun
Driver

I didn't pay for any of this; a previous owner did. It was at an out-of-state dealership. GSteg: You say only a few fuel system cleaners work, begging the queston: Which ones?
Old 08-20-10, 06:05 PM
ausbun
Driver

Looking back at my original post in this string, I realize I didn't make it clear that these service records are for my 2003 SC430 that I bought from an individual three weeks ago. Sorry.
Old 08-20-10, 06:38 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ausbun
GSteg: You say only a few fuel system cleaners work, begging the queston: Which ones?
Off the top of my head: Redline SI-1, Gumout Regane, Chevron Techron, BG-44K

What do these products have in common? Phenethylamine (PEA). It's the most effective ingredient you can find off the shelf. Chevron pioneered the formula decades ago and kept it as their trade secret for a long time. These bottles contained around 30-50% PEA which is a healthy amount.

One thing to note though, Chevron and BG have recently dumb down their formula so they might or might not be using PEA anymore. I guess they thought the mass consumer might not notice the change. Everything else is mostly kerosene/acetone. If I wanted that, I would have bought a gallon at my local Home Depot for the same price

I use Redline myself (found at pep boys if you have one) for more serious cleaning. The Gumout Regane has less PEA content, but is still effective. I use those once in a while for maintenance.