SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 slower than IS350!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-10, 06:02 PM
LexFather

Ladies and Gents, this is not a which car is better than discussion. It is which is faster and I've driven them both plenty of times and the SC 430 is clearly not as fast as the IS 350.

It basically comes down to engines here. The SC 430 is using an engine based on the old 4.0 from 1992 with VVTi bored and stroked to 4.3 liters. The IS 350 uses a brand new 3.5 V-6 with dual VVTi and Direct Injection. The Lexus 3.5 is a beast of a V-6.

I've taken my modded GS 430 with the same engine (which is sightly faster than a SC 430 stock for stock) and ran it against IS 350s in the 1/4 mile. I was in the low to mid 14s and the IS 350 is in the mid to high 13s. It is not a close race.

Nothing to get upset about. It simply is the lighter, smaller, faster vehicle. The SC 430 has never been an acceleration monster, its 4.3 V-8 is very in tune with its GT nature. ARe there modded SC 430s? You bet and some with F/I and some are fast as hell.

Stock for stock, IS 350 wins 10 out of 10 times.
Old 07-21-10, 10:58 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Interesting. I rode in the LFA on the track and its a "Lexus" and is on par with the best made today.
But hey, its just a regular CF, V-10, 3300, Ceramic Brake Lexus
I rode in the LFA on California speedway too

Before I begin, let me begin by saying I LOVE Lexus, I am a huge fan. Me and my family do owns all the Lexus listed in my signature. Lexus is by far my favorite luxury brand for regular Joe. I say that because if I am not a regular Joe, Bentley and Rolls Royces would be my favorite

My point is, I have nothing against Lexus. All I was saying is, all Lexus are not designed to be fast. Let me explain what FAST is to me, FAST is very subjective. My mom think her 220 hp GS300 Sport Desigh is REALLY fast. I have friend that think his 500 hp Nissan GTR is REALLY slow. When I owned my 450 hp R34 GTR, I thought it was dog slow.

The LFA is extremely cool, don't get me wrong, especially after I rode in it. It is VERY exotic with it's 65% CF construction, Yamaha did an amazing job tuning that exhaust note, it is the best sounding street car right next to the Carrera GT, I still can't decide which sounds better. Handling and brakes are the best available from any street car right now. The general consensus from all the test review is the chassis is phenomenal, I can feel that it handle amazingly good when Scott Pruett throw the car into the bank turn at 140 mph. But speed wise, it is NOT on par with the best made today. When I say speed, I mainly focus on it's acceleration. The average test result is 0-60 in 3.7 and 1/4 in 11.7 I think. That is way slower then the similarily price 599 GTB and Murcielago, and the $160k 997 Turbo pulls times in the 2.9 and 11.0, that is a huge differences in those speed.

The LFA is not designed for speed, it is designed for the ultimate driving sensation, and Lexus achieved it. But acceleration wise, it is no where near being the best available on the market today. It could be if Lexus released the car 5 years ago when it was done, but Toyota hesitated for too long. The car was state of the art 5 years ago, but today in 2010, even the lowly 458 Italia comes with 570 hp now, and it is a Ferrari, at half the price. A stock Mustang GT500 gives you 550 hp. The LFA's 556 or so hp is really too low for a $375k car, and the single clutch tranny shift too slow, 3300 lbs is a little high for a 65% CF car. I mean come on, it can't even smoke a $73k Nissan GTR on the drag strip. But then it is not a drag car. I am sure it is pretty fast on a track

Would I love to have a LFA? oh hell yeah!! But if it is my own money, I would have to go with the 599 GTB, or save up some more for the 599 GTO!!

Last edited by BNR34; 07-21-10 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-21-10, 11:22 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Interesting. I rode in the LFA on the track and its a "Lexus" and is on par with the best made today.
But hey, its just a regular CF, V-10, 3300, Ceramic Brake Lexus
And in a way, I don't count the LFA as a Lexus. Since it is a one off exotic pet project that Akio Toyoda wanted that none of us can ever afford. It will probably never happen again, well never say never, Toyota did made that exotic 2000GT like 40 years ago, so Toyota might make another exotic car in 2050

When I say all Lexus, I mean from the IS250 to the LS600hL, you knew that, just wanted to argue with me didn't you
Old 07-22-10, 06:23 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by BNR34
And in a way, I don't count the LFA as a Lexus.

When I say all Lexus, I mean from the IS250 to the LS600hL, you knew that, just wanted to argue with me didn't you
The only reason not to consider the LFA a real Lexus is you can't buy one. It was built to improve the brand name.

The reason not to consider the IS350 a real Lexus is it uses a V6 designed for a FWD Mini-Van (yes first used in the Siena) and degrades the brand with a substandard interior, and coming in at a price range for burger flippers. It is the cash cow using the reputation of much finer cars to push a Toyota variant under a premium label, see Porsche 914, Caddy Cimeron etc.

Not that there is anything wrong with IS owners. Someone has to serve the food.

WARNING!!!!!!
This post is not to be taken seriously and is only intended to keep this thread going for one more day

Last edited by KaiserSea1; 07-22-10 at 06:27 AM.
Old 07-22-10, 09:33 AM
Prestige77
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carLx;
It appears as though when you guys can't "win" that argument, it's apparently time to find other ways to downplay the issue by shifting the focus to irrelevant comparisons.
It is easy to "win" an argument by making up numbers. When you claim speed of nearly a second quicker to 60, and the factory lists .2 you give the appearance of being untruthful. The bad thing about the Internet is anyone can self publish. Even you!
Old 07-22-10, 06:47 PM
howdybob22
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Prestige77
It is easy to "win" an argument by making up numbers. When you claim speed of nearly a second quicker to 60, and the factory lists .2 you give the appearance of being untruthful. The bad thing about the Internet is anyone can self publish. Even you!
1. Road and Track already putting the time to 60 at 4.9
2. Car and Driver report it at 5.1
3. Edmunds revised and had it at 5.2
4. Some of our IS forum member who track their car did hit 4.9

So are 'Road and Track' and 'Car and Driver' not trust worthy? Their results clearly show that the IS350 can hit 4.9 or 5.1 either way is not bad number at all. Also, the IS350 matches or even manage to be a tick faster to 60 than the G37 which has 330hp (Car and driver). This confirm with CarLx that the IS350 could have been a little conservative in the spec.

The time I have seen so far for the stock SC430 is anywhere from 5.8-6.3. Edmunds has the new 2010 SC with the 6 speed transmission at 5.8 - most likely the 02-05 will be even slower with the old 5 speed. Road and Track has the 02 SC at 6.2 to 60. Car and driver had 04 SC430 at 6.3 in one of their comparo here. So that 1 sec to 60 is not that far off especially if you compare to the older SC430 (02-05). Living with both days in/out, my butt feel of the two is the same as the two magazines stated (Car and Driver and Road and Track) - I don't have the newer SC with the 6 speed so can't confirm that.

Anyway, this thread is getting old and the last I will post on it. Let start some more additional informative threads on Maintenance DIY that will save some forums members money (Details pictures would be great).
Old 07-22-10, 08:10 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiserSea1
The only reason not to consider the LFA a real Lexus is you can't buy one. It was built to improve the brand name.

The reason not to consider the IS350 a real Lexus is it uses a V6 designed for a FWD Mini-Van (yes first used in the Siena) and degrades the brand with a substandard interior, and coming in at a price range for burger flippers. It is the cash cow using the reputation of much finer cars to push a Toyota variant under a premium label, see Porsche 914, Caddy Cimeron etc.

WARNING!!!!!!
This post is not to be taken seriously and is only intended to keep this thread going for one more day
Would you like some cheese with that whine? Or, maybe I should be offering you fries instead
Old 07-23-10, 04:44 PM
LexFather

I rode in the LFA on California speedway too

Before I begin, let me begin by saying I LOVE Lexus, I am a huge fan. Me and my family do owns all the Lexus listed in my signature. Lexus is by far my favorite luxury brand for regular Joe. I say that because if I am not a regular Joe, Bentley and Rolls Royces would be my favorite

My point is, I have nothing against Lexus. All I was saying is, all Lexus are not designed to be fast. Let me explain what FAST is to me, FAST is very subjective. My mom think her 220 hp GS300 Sport Desigh is REALLY fast. I have friend that think his 500 hp Nissan GTR is REALLY slow. When I owned my 450 hp R34 GTR, I thought it was dog slow.

The LFA is extremely cool, don't get me wrong, especially after I rode in it. It is VERY exotic with it's 65% CF construction, Yamaha did an amazing job tuning that exhaust note, it is the best sounding street car right next to the Carrera GT, I still can't decide which sounds better. Handling and brakes are the best available from any street car right now. The general consensus from all the test review is the chassis is phenomenal, I can feel that it handle amazingly good when Scott Pruett throw the car into the bank turn at 140 mph. But speed wise, it is NOT on par with the best made today. When I say speed, I mainly focus on it's acceleration. The average test result is 0-60 in 3.7 and 1/4 in 11.7 I think. That is way slower then the similarily price 599 GTB and Murcielago, and the $160k 997 Turbo pulls times in the 2.9 and 11.0, that is a huge differences in those speed.

The LFA is not designed for speed, it is designed for the ultimate driving sensation, and Lexus achieved it. But acceleration wise, it is no where near being the best available on the market today. It could be if Lexus released the car 5 years ago when it was done, but Toyota hesitated for too long. The car was state of the art 5 years ago, but today in 2010, even the lowly 458 Italia comes with 570 hp now, and it is a Ferrari, at half the price. A stock Mustang GT500 gives you 550 hp. The LFA's 556 or so hp is really too low for a $375k car, and the single clutch tranny shift too slow, 3300 lbs is a little high for a 65% CF car. I mean come on, it can't even smoke a $73k Nissan GTR on the drag strip. But then it is not a drag car. I am sure it is pretty fast on a track

Would I love to have a LFA? oh hell yeah!! But if it is my own money, I would have to go with the 599 GTB, or save up some more for the 599 GTO!!
And in a way, I don't count the LFA as a Lexus. Since it is a one off exotic pet project that Akio Toyoda wanted that none of us can ever afford. It will probably never happen again, well never say never, Toyota did made that exotic 2000GT like 40 years ago, so Toyota might make another exotic car in 2050

No worries I felt you were genuine and see exactly what you are saying. I totally understand when you think fast, you do not think Lexus.

There are anomalies though
GS 400-fastest auto sedan for awhile
IS 350-fastest sedan in class with the 335
IS F is a low 4 second car
GS 450h is a low 5 second car
LFA is a mid 3 second car

FYI all GTOs are already sold out...I am a fan of the GTB as well

WARNING!!!!!!
lol......

FYI....SC 430 is based on the last generation GS chassis and the IS 350 is based on the current generation GS chassis
Old 08-02-18, 05:02 PM
TsunamiF
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The IS engine and tranny are based on the 3.5 set up in the 06 Rav4, Camry, sienna etc. The mechanicals in the SC are shared with the LS. Having owned a V6 Rav4 I really enjoyed the performance of this set up, but there is only so much Toyota can do with an engine and tranny designed for cars starting at 20k. It would simply cost too much to put the running gear of an SC into an IS. A camaro V6 is faster than a Northstar V8 Caddy. Comparing them is just as silly as comparing ours.
This interpretation is utterly erroneous. The engine and transmission used on the Rav4, Camry, Sienna is based off a transaxle configuration. None of this was transferred forward to the Lexus IS. The IS engine and transmission were built for a RWD configuration and incorporated technology that were innovative at the time (the world's first mass-production port and direct injected engine).

If you truly believe that Lexus is putting a better engine and tranny in cars that cost half the price of the SC I give you thread, nothing more I can offer. It is like trying to explain why a 4oz filet mignon is better than 4 pounds of salisbury steak!
Old tech vs New Tech as explained above.

Your thought process of social economics is pretty skewered. Back then, I don't believe many burger flippers could afford cars in the low $40k.
Old 08-02-18, 05:07 PM
maarp
Pole Position

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Talk b about back from the dead....