SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Front Seat Diagram? Broken part.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-08, 08:02 AM
TXFM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Front Seat Diagram? Broken part.

My driver side front seat has a part broken at the back, and I'm looking for a diagram of the seat to understand how I can fix it.

Does anyone have one they can post?

Thanks!
Old 11-11-08, 08:31 AM
ZMonet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Assembly

Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
front seat.pdf (82.9 KB, 3656 views)
Old 11-11-08, 09:21 AM
TXFM
Intermediate

Thanks! Yes, I think this helps a lot. I have tried JB Weld, but have to disassemble the seat to have a part on the side welded.

If I weighed 300 lbs, I'd understand why it may have broken, but I'm not that large.
Old 11-11-08, 09:45 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Be carefull with side air bag sensors . YOU DONT WANT TO TRIP THEM . I would go to a Lexus dealer and ask a machanic about what to look out for. I know in the shop manual they caution about air bags going off

Buddy
Old 11-11-08, 10:44 AM
TXFM
Intermediate

Good point. If I decide to have anything done like welding, I've identified a group that is Lexus trained and only works on Lexi (Lexus's ?).
Old 11-11-08, 11:28 AM
TXFM
Intermediate

Buddy,
I took a closer look at the drawing, and I'm pretty sure that there is an additional piece of the back stamped piece which is the part that snapped off. Look at the attachment.

My SC is a 2002. Do you know if this seat diagram is also for the 2002?

In any case, it definitely is useful, and I appreciate your sending it.

Thanks,
Cecil
Attached Thumbnails Front Seat Diagram? Broken part.-sc430-upper-seat-detail.jpg  
Old 11-11-08, 11:49 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

That piece you are pointing to I see in the original shop manual. What actually broke . Did part of that frame break your pointing to ?

Buddy
Old 11-11-08, 12:40 PM
TXFM
Intermediate

The attached part is made out of 1/4" (approx) tubular steel, and is formed into a shape that provides shape to the upper side part of the front seats. There is one on each side of the seat, and the top of the part is welded to the top of the metal back plane in the area of the red arrow in the above picture. The bottom of it is also welded to the same stamped metal back plane in a lower position. This tubular piece broke off at the top and at the bottom. I decided to remove the part you see in the picture here and just put the "Front Seatback Board" back on (I had first removed it) without this part. I should have taken a picture but didn't think of that until I'd put it all back together. I'd remove it again, but it was no fun putting those 2 bottom screws back in blindly.

I think the seat will be ok without this part. I'm going to try it for a while anyway.
Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails Front Seat Diagram? Broken part.-sc430-seat-tubular-side-part.jpg  
Old 11-11-08, 12:53 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Any way of drilling the tube and then clamping it or using a threaded coller fastner to reattach .You also might be able to use a pop rivet gun with long rivets . I have used that to repair alot of broken pieces that had a weld come apart .

Let me know how you make out

Buddy
Old 11-11-08, 01:03 PM
TXFM
Intermediate

I think the best way is to diassemble the seat and have it rewelded, but I think I'll leave it as is for a while.

Thanks for the suggestions, I may decide to take another crack it it later.
Old 11-11-08, 01:17 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

This is the pic I just scanned from the 2002 repair manual.

Old 11-11-08, 01:46 PM
TXFM
Intermediate

Hmmmm.. looks like the 2002 manual is like the 2005 manual. Neither one really shows those tubular "wing" pieces attached to the upper back side of the seat.

Thanks for scanning and screening this.
Old 11-11-08, 07:14 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

How did your seat get broken. Were you the one that used the metal mend or was it done by former owner.

Buddy
Old 11-12-08, 06:14 AM
TXFM
Intermediate

The week before last I tilted the driver's seat forward to put my briefcase in the backseat. Noticed that the plastic back seat cover was not attached at the top on the left side (port side for you sailors). It had popped off. Then I pried it open a little and saw that the tubular part had broken at the weld location. I had no idea at that time that it had a piece that was broken further down.

I have no idea what happened. I'm the original owner. I haven't had a wreck. I don't do a "Dukes of Hazard" running jump into the car, and I'm around 170 lbs.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this piece is critical or not. It's back together without it and I'm sure I'm the only one who can tell the piece is missing. Looks like a poor design to me, but I'm over 115K miles, so I won't try a warranty fix.

Oh - I tried the JB Weld just to see if it would work. I only used it on the top weld before I took off the back seat cover and discovered that the bottom was broken too, but I don't think I'm going to fish around for those hidden screws to take it apart again anytime soon.
Old 11-16-08, 07:07 AM
TXFM
Intermediate

Well, with that tubular piece gone, when I exit the car with my briefcase held by both hands (swiveling left to get out), my left upper arm presses against the side of the seat. Then the back seat cover pops off on the outside. I took off the cover again and you can see how it looks. I think I need to:
a) Put the cover back on and never grab my briefcase from the right front seat and exit the driver's side.
b) Leave the cover off.
c) Get a Ricaro racing seat, twin turbo the engine, drop in a T-56 manual transmission, gut the interior to make the car lighter and faster.
d) Go see how much this'll cost me to fix...

Ugh....
Attached Thumbnails Front Seat Diagram? Broken part.-driver-s-side-seat-open.jpg  

Quick Reply: Front Seat Diagram? Broken part.