SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Front Seat Diagram? Broken part.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-08, 06:54 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I would check with a welding shop. If they see what the metal is that needs to welded they may have a solution for you. There are laser welders out there that do amazing things. I am a jeweler by profession. In my business we used to have to remove most soft stones from a mounting in order to solder on new prongs . With the availability of laser welders we actually weld prongs with stones in place. Its worth a few phone calls to see what any welders might be able to do. The lasers can spot weld with out generating any damaging heat.

Buddy
Old 11-17-08, 08:40 AM
TXFM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks, Buddy! I was not aware of this procedure/process. I'll check around to see if I can find anyone locally who can do this.
Thx, Cecil
Old 12-03-08, 08:05 AM
TXFM
Intermediate

To close this out - I couldn't find a laser welder in the area (thanks, Buddy, for the suggestion).

So, I just had the folks who regularly service my car take apart the seat and have the part welded back on. Then they reassembled and everything is working well. Seat heats, etc.
Old 12-03-08, 03:42 PM
Lapraka
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you mind me asking how much did this whole mess cost you?
Old 12-03-08, 08:58 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes I also would like to know what the repair set you back

Buddy
Old 12-04-08, 08:01 AM
TXFM
Intermediate

I could have had it done for around $150 if I'd had it done at an upholstery shop, but I was concerned that they might screw up something putting it back together.

So, the shop I go to that only does Lexus's (Lexi ?) charged me $250. Their trained techs do make more than the normal upholstery shop guys.
Old 12-04-08, 02:22 PM
FALCON1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got back from Lexus on a seat issue.

I was told that a whole NEW seat would run 4 grand in parts and labor to boot........again, be careful of the Airbag .............the tech told me they have special procedures to follow to avoid it going off as well.

FALCON 1
Old 12-05-08, 06:23 AM
TXFM
Intermediate

Yes, good point - that's why I went to a Lexus-only repair facility (Davenport Motors - Plano,TX). I took off the back cover to look at the welds last night, and they did a good job.
Old 12-05-08, 10:12 AM
Lapraka
Driver

Glad to hear that TXMF.

I sometimes feel a "thump" noise from my seat (back). I think a spring came loose or smth. $250 isn't that bad of a deal when you know is being fixed right!
Old 06-16-13, 05:20 PM
ADT60
Driver School Candidate

I have a 04 GX470 and need to remove the back panel will this diagram work for the GX and is there only the 2 screws holding the back on at the bottom.
This diagram worked fine was able to remove back of seat and re[air the pouches.

Last edited by ADT60; 06-22-13 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Fixed problem
Old 10-23-17, 05:38 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Seat Issue-Same Problem Here!

Hi,

This forum is full of nice shares, especially something like this, I just noticed the same on my 2003 Lexus, Back left top of drivers seat pushes back, I go to re clip it and is ok, next time use the Drivers Seat it goes loose and you can see gap. So I assume mine is the same, need to get it welded and or fixed somehow? Any fix updates since this last thread? Anybody else have the Seat issue?

I find it very interesting that all defects in this car are so similar to so many different owners, meaning we have common list of items that go bad, Actuators, Speakers, noise on roof from flex on rough roads, and now the Seat. I have had my car for only 2-weeks now, I have taken care of most of these items..

I did not purchase a new car, but it would be nice if Lexus would own up to some of these common issues that would help with some cost's, 4K for a new Seat is Crazy! Some might say the Car is 14 years old, but my car has only 14,800 miles as of today 10/23/17. Oh well, I do love the Car, people come up to me and say what year is the car, when I say 2003, they say no way!

Need to find a Lexus Repair center in the Charlotte, NC that can repair the Seat back and any other future mechanical problems?

Thanks!
Bob
Old 10-23-17, 05:46 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

I just found something from another google search, I did not check, there is suppose to be two small screws und that back seat bottom portion, I did not look to see if I had any missing screws, will check tonight, maybe I will get luck?

B-
Old 10-23-17, 06:56 AM
JDaveSC430
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by hoffy5
Hi,

This forum is full of nice shares, especially something like this, I just noticed the same on my 2003 Lexus, Back left top of drivers seat pushes back, I go to re clip it and is ok, next time use the Drivers Seat it goes loose and you can see gap. So I assume mine is the same, need to get it welded and or fixed somehow? Any fix updates since this last thread? Anybody else have the Seat issue?

I find it very interesting that all defects in this car are so similar to so many different owners, meaning we have common list of items that go bad, Actuators, Speakers, noise on roof from flex on rough roads, and now the Seat. I have had my car for only 2-weeks now, I have taken care of most of these items..

I did not purchase a new car, but it would be nice if Lexus would own up to some of these common issues that would help with some cost's, 4K for a new Seat is Crazy! Some might say the Car is 14 years old, but my car has only 14,800 miles as of today 10/23/17. Oh well, I do love the Car, people come up to me and say what year is the car, when I say 2003, they say no way!

Need to find a Lexus Repair center in the Charlotte, NC that can repair the Seat back and any other future mechanical problems?

Thanks!
Bob
Hi Bob, Dave here; I'm in Mooresville/Lake Norman and have an '02 I really enjoy. Welcome to ownership of the SC430; they really are incredible cars. I haven't found an independent shop for Lexus around here; but I've had few issues. What I have needed was done really well by service manager David Shepherd with Hendrick Lexus Northlake; he is a really decent guy and has treated me very fairly for years. They can cost more, but, they back everthing 100 % and pick up, leave a loaner, and then deliver it back all washed. Enjoy; and, this is a GREAT forum of owners!
The following users liked this post:
hoffy5 (10-23-17)
Old 10-23-17, 07:56 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Hi Dave,

My other Car, BMW Z4, also a 2003., I have serviced at Hendrick BMW in Charlotte. Thanks for the information and name contact for Lexus NorthLake, I work at UNCC, that would be convenient for service! I do know that they give you a 20% discount on service if your Car is over 10 years!!
That said, I am going to check out the Back seat tonight and see if the scores are missing under the drivers Seat?

Talk again, stay in touch!
Bob
Old 10-23-17, 06:49 PM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Seat Back issue resolved

Oh, yea! I checked under my Drivers Seat Back, and guess what? There was 2 screws missing, can't make that S*** up! My guess when they serviced that Seat, someone was to lazy to put them back on!
I searched my archive of loose screws, after much torture, I was able to install 2 similar screws, not sure of the exact size. I am going to order from Lexus some replacement back-up screws just in case the ones I put in fall out.
Now the Seat Back now stays up! Also, this was a good time to put some Dupont Krytox on the Power Seat Rails!

B-

Quick Reply: Front Seat Diagram? Broken part.