SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Luxlink Operating/Install Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-08, 12:33 PM
biggie
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Luxlink Operating/Install Problems

With help from a buddy I installed the luxlink yesterday, but something is wrong.

Functioning

One touch operation in the car only works for opening.
Remote car start is fine by pressing unlock, lock, lock.

Non-Functioning

One touch operation for closing top.
Remote opening or closing top.

In fact the remote does not response to anything once the remote start is initiated. I have to use the key to unlock the car doors.

I can still hold unlock to roll down windows, but not after remote start in running.

Any idea what is wrong? Which wire? TIA.
Old 02-17-08, 05:31 PM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Once the car is remote-started via the LuxLink, the remote is disabled...you have to use the key to unlock the doors. This is considered a security feature. If you press unlock...lock...lock...wait a "beat"...and unlock a final time, the car will remote-start with the doors unlocked. However, once the LuxLink starts to crank the car, the remote is disabled...it's designed that way...for better or worse.

As for the one-touch not working, I'm not sure. That's the one feature on my car that's ALWAYS worked. Can't say that for the other features though. It took me quite some time to get the timing on the remote buttons down to where I could reliably make the top go up/down.

For the one-touch, the double-click of the button is a fairly quick one but, the timing on this doesn't seem to be nearly as critical as the button-presses on the remote.

Dumb question, you're pressing (on the button on the dash) Open...Open..to make the top go down and Close...Close...to make the top go back up again, right (I mean you're not trying to press Open...Open again to make the top go back up)? I apologize if this sounds like a stupid question but, sometimes that have to be asked :-)

As for Remote opening...stand right next to the car...close enough that you could reach out and open the driver's side door. Press the unlock button and hold it until the windows start to roll down. As soon as they're down about one-and-a-half to two inches, let go of the unlock button...at that point the dash lights should come on and the LuxLink should "take over"...windows will roll down the rest of the way and the top will go down.

Another thing that it's picky about...make sure you have a fresh battery in the remote.
Old 02-17-08, 05:53 PM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

For troubleshooting purposes, I'd suggest you get the one-touch to work both ways first. Once you get that working, then you know the LuxLink module CAN make the top go up and down. As I said above, this is the most reliable feature...that's why I'd suggest you start there.

Try to fix one problem at a time. There may only be one wire out of place. Once you find it, you're good. However, it's possible that you've got multiple problems, which are always "fun" to troubleshoot.

I just took a look at the installation/wiring instructions. It looks like the Yellow wire from the LuxLink module is the wire that sends the "close the top" signal to the car. I'd take a look there first. It's discussed in the "Drivers floor carpet L/H kick panel" section of the instructions. It says to "Connect J1.3 Yellow wire from LuxLink to IC1.2 Yellow and Black wire to vehicle".

Verify your wiring there. Also, if you're able to, put a DC voltmeter on this (red wire of the meter to this wire, black wire of the meter to ground). Once you've got the meter on it, double-click the close button. You should get 12VDC and it should stay on. If you've got voltage there that means the LuxLink module is sending the "close the top" signal" but, the car isn't getting it...which would point to an error in wiring. If you're not getting 12VDC here, that would seem to indicate a problem with the LuxLink module.

Let us know what you find.

One thing I just thought of. Again, apologies if my suggestions/ideas seem a little silly. Just for your information..the double-click open/close ONLY works when the ignition is on. Once the process starts, you can then turn off the ignition and remove the key...the LuxLink will keep the ignition on as long as it needs to in order to complete the cycle but, the ignition has to be on when you start the cycle.
Old 02-17-08, 08:56 PM
biggie
Driver

Default Thanks

Thank you. I will look into that wire. I was just dazzed....a lot of work this weekend...finally lowered the car too.
Old 02-20-08, 11:50 AM
syoun10
Driver School Candidate

Default luxlink cost

just for us newbies ... about how much does the Luxlink cost to buy & have installed? are there any experienced installers in SoCal?

What does it do to the warantee (my car is certified)?

best

steve
Old 02-20-08, 01:17 PM
biggie
Driver

Default cost.

$350 for unit, a bit more for the shock sensor.
$300 to install there at their shop.
Good luck looking for good installers.
Old 02-21-08, 06:41 AM
Addiction2
Driver

Originally Posted by syoun10
just for us newbies ... about how much does the Luxlink cost to buy & have installed? are there any experienced installers in SoCal?

What does it do to the warantee (my car is certified)?

best

steve
The unit is about $350, I paid for 4 hours of installation tho the instructions say its about 2. However the first time anyone does it seems to take between 6-8 hours depending on luck mostly. There is a thread here where a lexus dealer installed one and it took them 6.5 hours, tho they say they can do it in 1.5 now.

It may be hard to find experienced installers without traveling, just find really good installers and pay them to gain the experience I think.

If its installed properly it doesn't affect the warranty in any way is my understanding or I would have never had it put in.
Old 02-21-08, 01:43 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

probably tapped a wrong wire somewhere, did you read my install guide? Really should use a voltemeter since there are alot of the same colored wires in the door.