SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Successful SC430 Key Programming

Old 06-21-19, 03:09 PM
ivanj
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Duracell Lexus Master Key programming failure

Originally Posted by VVTiBob

First your link in the OP did not work. So not sure where you were going with it.

Lexus allows a total of four keys. When new, the car came with the following programmed keys: 2 master keys, one valet and one “wallet” flat key. Programming a fifth key will kick out the first key programmed (FIFO). You should not assume the order programmed. That’s why and how the techstream software makes it easy.

I have the #2 key that came with the used 2002 SC 430 that starts it. It also came with two blank #1 keys.

1. The local hardware store cut and attempted to program the blank #1 keys. After cutting and "programming" one #1 key with the Duracell system that attaches to the OBDII port, and uses a tablet to remote program it, the 2002 SC 430 would turn over but would not start. All of the remote functions now work with this #1 key however. The drivers door was open when he did part of the procedure but then he closed it.

2. Using my VIN etc. the Duracell person ordered a Duracell #1 style key. When he attempted to program that key, he got the message "3 keys programmed to car. Limit reached." He is updating his Duracell firmware to see if he can remove the other two keys from the ECU system. Is this advisable?

3. My #2 key still works. However, I want two #1 keys for the car.

4. How should I proceed? Forget the Duracell key and go to the Lexus dealer or an authorized locksmith with my #1 keys? Can the programming on the original Lexus #2 key that starts the car be removed inadvertently?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by ivanj; 06-21-19 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-21-19, 03:54 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

@ivanj You need to program the immobilizer chip from the new 2 keys to the car. The remote control portion is separated from the chip programming. You need to remove the old keys/chips in order to register a new one. However, to program, you need the master key so I'm not sure if you can use your key #2 to do it. If you have TechStream you can give it a try.
Old 06-21-19, 03:54 PM
VVTiBob

Received 264 Likes on 200 Posts

A total of four (4) keys may be programmed, for two different systems in the car. (Wireless receiver & engine immobilizer) Typically it works FIFO. Check your Repair manual section 73. Techstream is also helpful.
Old 06-21-19, 03:59 PM
VVTiBob

Received 264 Likes on 200 Posts

Your #2 key is the valet key. It only has one of the two functions, engine immobilizer, it has no wireless unlocking feature. Same for the wallet key or #4 key from the graphic.
Old 06-22-19, 05:57 AM
ivanj
Driver

Default Fresh start key programing procedure?

Originally Posted by digitatc
@ivanj You need to program the immobilizer chip from the new 2 keys to the car. The remote control portion is separated from the chip programming. You need to remove the old keys/chips in order to register a new one. However, to program, you need the master key so I'm not sure if you can use your key #2 to do it. If you have TechStream you can give it a try.
So in other words I need to program the #1 key(s) as if it is a new or blank key. It will have all the functions then including starting the car. I assume it picks these up from the car ECU system. Do I need to wipe out the existing programming in these #1 keys that fails to start the car or will the procedure do that for me?

(The present #2 key that starts the car should not be used to begin the programming procedure. This has resulted in the #1 keys remote opening the car but picking up the immobilizer function, correct?) What is the original purpose of the #2 or valet key - manual opening but not starting the car?

If the #1 key fresh programming procedure is successful and they start the car I just leave the #2 key alone. It should no longer start the car. This is by design? Thus the existing #2 key, that presently starts the car, can be ignored as it will then no longer start the car. If the program with #1 is not successful, will the #2 key still start the car?

(I have no items 3 and 4.) Sorry for shouting.

Last edited by ivanj; 06-22-19 at 06:12 AM.
Old 06-22-19, 06:56 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

The valet key is made to manually open doors and start the key but not the glove box or console. Its purpose is to be able to hand it off to a valet and allow them to park and retrieve the car only and restrict access to the storage areas.
Old 06-22-19, 08:11 AM
ivanj
Driver

Default How I am going to proceed

Thank you all for all your help.

I'm going to try my local guy one more time to reprogram the key fob #1. I don't have great hopes.

I called the nearest Lexus dealer and they are going to reprogram all the key fobs I have for $140. At they same time they are going to do a full inspection of the car and replace the recalled passenger side airbag. They offered a loaner car that they said is not in the SC class - however they are 100 miles away so I may just wait for the car.

I'm going to have them interpret the service history for me as recorded in the Lexus database. Based on the previous service history, I may have them perform whatever transmission fluid replacement they do for $249. If it is just a "drop the pan" service I think that price is exorbitant. I also want the rear end looked into even though I have no problems since it seems that driveshaft inspection was done every 5k miles.

Last edited by ivanj; 06-22-19 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-22-19, 07:23 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by ivanj
Thank you all for all your help.

I'm going to try my local guy one more time to reprogram the key fob #1. I don't have great hopes.

I called the nearest Lexus dealer and they are going to reprogram all the key fobs I have for $140. At they same time they are going to do a full inspection of the car and replace the recalled passenger side airbag. They offered a loaner car that they said is not in the SC class - however they are 100 miles away so I may just wait for the car.

I'm going to have them interpret the service history for me as recorded in the Lexus database. Based on the previous service history, I may have them perform whatever transmission fluid replacement they do for $249. If it is just a "drop the pan" service I think that price is exorbitant. I also want the rear end looked into even though I have no problems since it seems that driveshaft inspection was done every 5k miles.
Why not just buy Techstream off Amazon. If you have a Mac like I do just use a virtual desktop and install the correct OS. Program keys yourself.

Full dealer service history is available via Lexus Drivers website with your Vin.

I also recommend the transmission fluid service. The pan is not dropped unless leaking. Drain and refill only gets you around 4 quarts or so. There is like 12 total. It's an important service and the refill level is really important to get correct with the engine running. Have you looked for good independent shops? Try searching on yelp for Japanese car shops and use the reviews.
Old 06-24-19, 04:45 PM
cpfohl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC430 Programming

Thanks for the programming instructions. After following them my fob will lock and unlock the doors but will not start the car. It will turn over but not start. Have you heard of this happening?
thanks!
Old 06-24-19, 05:11 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 851 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by cpfohl
Thanks for the programming instructions. After following them my fob will lock and unlock the doors but will not start the car. It will turn over but not start. Have you heard of this happening?
thanks!
You successfully programmed the FOB to control the door locks, alarm and trunk but you didn’t program the engine immobilizer...the engine will turn over but will not fire or start.
Old 06-24-19, 05:20 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 851 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnMD
After lots of tries (and failures) using the directions on the Forum, I contacted East Coast Locksmiths. Tami provided me with directions that were similar to those posted on the Forum, but a bit different than the ones I used. She said that, for some reason, people had problems successfully programming keys for this car. Might be timing?? Mine is a 2002 that was built in August of 2002 -- one of the last ones for that year. So, at least for this car, the dealer didn't block out key programming.

The directions follow.

Key Programming
1. Close all doors.
2. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition.
3. Turn the key from the OFF to On and back OFF FIVE (5) times.
4. Open and close the drivers door SIX (6) times.
5. Remove the key from the ignition.
6. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming step on brake one time.

Timing may be important. I did the key on and off to the count of 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi said in regular speach -- or just about on the second. Then switched keys in 3-5 seconds. Then opened the door to the same beat.

The Security light flashed for about a minute and then went out. I then hit the brake once -- proably within 3-5 seconds of the light going out.

Then started the car with the newly programmed valet key. I assume the same thing would program a new master key. Question? Can you have more than one master key? If so I may buy one and try again. Hate to lose or break the master from what I hear.

Also, here were her directions for programming the remote on the master key. Let me know if they work.

Remote Programming
1. Close and lock all doors. Unlock and open drivers door.
2. Put key into ignition and remove TWO TIMES.
3. Close and open the drivers door TWO TIMES.
4. Put key into the ignition and remove.
5. Close and open the drivers door two times.
6. Put key into the ignition. Close the drivers door.
7. Turn ignition ON then OFF ONE TIME- this will put the car in ADD mode for your remote. (Turning the ignition ON then OFF TWO TIMES will ADD the remote but will erase all existing remotes.)
8. Remove the key from the ignition. The door locks will cycle one time (or two if you are erasing) . On the REMOTE press and hold the LOCK and the UNLOCK button for 2 seconds. On the REMOTE press the LOCK button for one second.

AT THIS POINT, the locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted. IF the locks cycle twice it has failed. IF this happens you must start over. Hold the remotes higher up for better reception

9. Open and close the drivers door. Put key in ignition and pull out. This will end
programming.

Thank youi Tami!!!! Saved me $80 and a big hassle. I got the key from Sewell for way less than the local Lexus dealer.

John
Originally Posted by cpfohl
thanks!
I assume you are referring to the steps above.
Note there are two sets of programming steps.
one for the key immobilizer and the other for the fob.

my guess would be one of two things happened, your car has reached its key limit of four keys already programmed to your car or an error was made in the programming steps.
Old 06-25-19, 05:27 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Bgw70, you are spot on. He has to delete other Key FOBs so he can open a slot and then program the key iimmobilizer.
Old 06-25-19, 06:04 AM
ivanj
Driver

Default Duracell Lexus Fob Key programming failure

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Bgw70, you are spot on. He has to delete other Key FOBs so he can open a slot and then program the key iimmobilizer.
I surmise this is what my Duracell replacement FOB tech did. Their software doesn't give them another branch to delete the other keys and programs ones that start the car.
Old 04-08-20, 01:48 PM
MattInLex
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the instructions here. I just bought a new aftermarket key off of eBay and was successful in programming (both remote and ignition). Complete key for about $30 (much better than the cost at the Lexus dealer!)

The following users liked this post:
DshngDaryl (04-08-20)
Old 10-22-20, 04:07 PM
Foxfire413
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by haroldeck
I bought a used 2005 SC430 that came with only one key/remote. I ordered 2 key blanks for $7.50 each from one of the internet sellers and a used matching remote on ebay for $60. The key blanks came with an integral empty remote shell. I had the key blanks cut at a local hardware store for $15 each. I removed the used remote that I bought on ebay from the non-matching key/shell and installed it into one of the newly-cut matching key shells.

I programmed the key/remote to match my car using the 2 step instructions that are attached here.

I programmed the key/remote to start the car first using the instructions on page 2 of the attachment. Then I programmed the key/remote to lock and unlock the doors using the instructions at the bottom of page 1.

I did not use the "erase key" procedure at the top of page 1.

So for $105 I have a programmed and fully functioning key/remote plus a spare key I can use to unlock the doors manually if I lock the key/remote in the car. I will monitor ebay to see if I can get another remote at a reasonable price.

Thank you Harold, I just programmed my key thanks to you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Successful SC430 Key Programming