SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Successful SC430 Key Programming

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-17, 04:20 PM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default So here is the situation

So at first when I got the car, I had the same issue, so I replaced the Driver side Actuator. After going to the
Stealer today, the car actuator for the passenger side has failed. Long story short, from day one it was the passenger side actuator was bad! I witnessed at the dealer with service tech, the weak motor hanging up! My original actuator was fine!!!!!!! It was the passenger side all along!~

That said, I will not go into the details of the replacement cost for the passenger side, that is unreal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Price they want is too much! I would have said no to the 590.00 quote, .however with my 20% off since car is over 10 years make it more reasonable.

Anyways they gave me a new 2017 loaner 2ooT, it has 15K miles, nice car but not as refined as the sc430!!!!!!

I did order new batteries today, just to make sure!!!!!!

Bob
Old 11-20-17, 04:28 PM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default forgot to mention

While I was waiting fro my SC to go into service, I was outside and an older couple my age, was looking at my car with a sales person!! I listened and said, hey name your price? They were dead serious!!!! The wife asked if she could sit in my car, I said sure!
Dealer had a 2002 with 56K miles same color, ATP. that was located for sale in their California Lexus Dealership, Hendrick Lexus. Not sure what they were asking for the 20o2, mine is a 2003.

Long story short, there is many who are looking for this classic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I talked with the sales person who was showing my car, He told me the guy was a former President of Lexus USA! So what does that tell you? You all own a classic car!!

Bob
Old 11-21-17, 02:09 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Hi Bgw70,

I hear you on the Motor only costing 4-6 dollars. I wish Lexus had realized they had a poor design, my car has just over 15K miles. Anyway this time I will use The Dealer since my car is there and I have a loaner, however going forward, an independent dealer!

On another note, I have recently fixed my roof and Driver Seat with my own Labor, I just don't feel comfortable pulling the door apart. I questioned the service rep at LEXUS, how many hours of labor are you billing me, he said 2 hours! I told him that sounded un-realistic, he said, that's what is listed as labour time.

As you probably know, Lexus gives 20% off parts and Labor for cars over 10 years, that helps take some of the sting out of the bill!

Car is supposed to be ready on Wednesday, since the Actuator is not in Stock, I guess that means I get the loaner for 2-days!

Thanks!
B-
Old 11-21-17, 02:46 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 914 Likes on 734 Posts

Thankfully, Your SC430 will be 100% and ready for plenty of top down fun!

Do you get much snow in that part of NC?
Old 11-23-17, 01:18 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default **HELP**Still not working after Dealer**

Hi all--- Happy Holidays!

So my saga continues with my Key's/Remote's not communicating with my SC, 2003. Car was at Dealer for 2-days.. I take car home and problem was not resolved! I am upset with myself for not testing it before I left the Dealer!!!!! I live about 45 minutes away.
I think we all have probably been there, take it to a Professional and come home an still broken

Not sure if anybody has any clues what is wrong?

The Dealer replaced the Passenger side Door Actuator! So that now means both Driver and Passenger Actuators are NEW! New Battery's in both Key's!

Here again is what happens:

1---I go to lock the car and nothing happens****** The Dome light stays on
2--Both Actuators are working from inside the Car
3- Car has 15,500 miles
4-Auto battery has been checked, it is just 12 months old
5-The Tech told me that once the key is programed, it stays programed

Contacted the Dealer when I got home, The car is going back Friday! Hey don't get me wrong, like the new car loaners, but dang, I want to drive the SC

I don't know how many modules the car has? I do know there is a Module in each of the Doors near the Speakers, not sure if both of them be the culprit? It appears to me that this is a wireless communication problem, the car is not getting the signal! Maybe the Security Module, not sure if I got that right?

What should I tell the Dealer other than fix it!

Thank you for hearing my rant!

B-
Old 11-23-17, 05:25 AM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Lesson learned, try it before going home. Happy thanksgiving!
Old 11-23-17, 08:13 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Do you think this may be the problem

Hi,

I was watching this video, apparently the door Jamb Switch can cause the Door Lock system to malfunction! This is the video I was watching

That said, with the car warming up has a negative effect on the Switch? Trying to save a trip to the Dealer!

Has anybody replaced this Door Jam Switch? Does the Switch come off without having to remove any panels?

Thanks!
B-
Old 11-23-17, 01:15 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

Cool story about the time at the dealer there Bob.

For some reason, I can't bring up the video. If you go and check out the thread that Bgw and I did on replacing the actuator, you'll see how much effort is required to take the door apart. It does require time!
Old 11-24-17, 01:00 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Try this link, opens for me, No Pun!
Old 11-24-17, 04:24 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Update-Switches Door Jam

Got up early this morning to see if the Switch in The Drivers side Door Jam could be replaced without removing inside Trim. Removed the 10MM Screw, used a plastic pry Tool to lift behind switch to pop it loose.

Pulled gently on the wires to see how far out they would go. Need to get the white little Clip where the wires plug into. I have just enough space to remove and replace. While there I took the bolt out and soaked it in De-Oxit, was not that bad. Also sprayed some inside the threads where the bolt makes the Ground! At this point, I did not replace the switch. I also then did same to Passenger side, only issue that connector barely reaches out to unclip it, so wire for that wire is shorter than the drivers side. if I decide to replace passenger switcht, I believe the Bottom illuminated Sill would have to be removed, also the Trim that goes behind the Switch area in order to reach in and unplug! That bolt was also soaked, it looked clean but I still did the same with the De-oxit! For sure that bolt is the DC Ground, hence if the connection is not good that could be the culprit.

The Door Jam Switch is part# is 84231-60070, this part is common to many Lexus and Toyota model cars!

Currently at this moment the Door/Key Remotes are working as they should be. Now I have to park the CAR OUTSIDE TO WARM it UP, that is when the central locking system will not lock or unlock the Car! Maybe I will go to the Toyota Dealer down the road from my home instead of driving to Lexus which is 45 minutes away, and then replace the Driver side only and see if that is the bad switch?

The above video Iink I posted shows what happens when that switch goes bad! My guess, the Driver side gets more use, my hunch it is defective, time will tell! Reading some of the comments, some people like myself replace the Door Actuators which you know is expensive! And then it turns out it is the Door Jam Switch, I hope?

Will let you know how it goes!

B-
Old 11-24-17, 09:34 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

I've never replaced one of those switches.

Does your door open light stay illuminated on your instrument panel? If it does, then that may be why the door actuators aren't being told to unlock the door. If it thinks that the door is already open, there'd be no need to unlock the door. If the light is not illuminated (and not burned out), then the problem is probably not the switch. But it is definitely worth pursuing that as a lead though.
Old 11-24-17, 10:22 AM
roomfr2
Rookie

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by klpps
I've tried programming a ton of times and have the exact same question. I'm getting the double blink with a short pause followed by a single blink. Did you (or anyone else here) figure that out or know what is going on? Thanks in advance.
I am having the same issues , what am I doing wrong ?
Old 11-24-17, 11:20 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Hi Roomfr2,

We will figure out this fiasco soon or later! Since Lexus wanted my car back today, I explained to the Manger that I did not want to make multiple trips and spend $$ hunting and pecking for an answer! They were very nice an apologetic to my situation since the Actuator they replaced did not resolve the issue!

So since this morning, my car has been outside since 9:00AM, temp is 60%, car interior is also probably 80 Degrees. I have left the car locked and unlocked multiple times, currently my car is in the unlock position on both doors and is working 100%

Maybe the cleaning the Bolts this morning improved the ground? I hope that is the case! Harold57 asked me when the Dome light stays on and remote does stop working, does the door light come on instrument cluster, NO it does not come on!

The switch I ordered should be here later today. My plan is not to replace the Switch until it act's up again, when it does, I will replace the Switch and see if then it locks, if so, then the Switch should be the Fix?

Dealer called me this morning I explained my plan of attack, in the interim, I asked him to have his Lead Tech. call the Lexus Field engineers and ask what they believe might be the next step if the switch does not resolve the issue! He agreed to do so and will advise me on what they say?

Thanks!
B-
Old 11-26-17, 11:24 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Update to Door Locking

Hi,

After 3 days of picking up the SC from the Dealership after they replaced the 2nd door Actuator, I believe the answer many be the following! I picked up a new Door Jam Switch, however, the car continues to lock without fail! I have moved my car from outside, to inside my Garage, back out to the Sun to bake, then back in, left car unlocked, and then locked multiple times-----------------! I still have the new switch and if it ever fails to lock, I will then replace which I believe the Drivers side culprit.

I have been waiting for the Remote operation of the doors to fail, however they keep working

The fix was the following, I removed the Driver and Passenger side Bolts holding the Door Jamb Switches, stalking the bolts in De-oxit then re-installing the bolts! I also sprayed the cleaner inside the threads the bolt seats with!

End result I believe, is the dirty Bolts not making a good ground! That would make sense since whenever I put the color in the Sun, for some reason that would kill the ground and hence not being able to lock with Key/Remote!

If anything changes, i.e stops working again, I have the switch and will report any updates to this case!

Thanks hope this helps someone!!!

Bob
Old 11-26-17, 02:06 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Very interesting results there Bob. I hope that your thread cleaning did the trick! If so, that is definitely one that needs to go in the ole tool box for the future. Good detective work and I'm glad that it is working now.

Quick Reply: Successful SC430 Key Programming