SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

vaistech and sc 430

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-05, 01:18 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default vaistech and sc 430

has anyone had this combination installed yet? this is a big deal to me since I am seriously considering moving to the sc and already have xm in my ls and paid for 3 years. I am trying to avoid having an xm head unit but if thats my only option then I guess I could live with it with a good install. the clincher though is that it MUST be integrated into the ml system and not modulated in any way. anyone have this done yet or have any promising info?
Old 05-29-05, 11:43 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

they are a good company, i talked to them once.

i have wanted to do their units on my sc430 already, it's in the plan and will be done i have faith in them, haha
Old 05-30-05, 08:32 AM
mlbpbg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vaistech

I installed the AIC100x in my SC430 2 months ago. Works fine if you don't mind not being able to see the text (name and song) since the head unit is not text ready nor can it be put in MD Changer mode and the Nav display does not integrate the audio. The one I put in my GX-470 works perfectly though.
Old 05-30-05, 02:37 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

looks like the aic 100 is the ticket then with the xm roady head unit for display function replacing the ash tray.
Old 05-31-05, 06:06 AM
mlbpbg
Rookie

Problem there is there is no XM dedicated input on that unit and even if there was there is no place to tie in the display without running the modulator which is exactly what you are not looking for.
Old 05-31-05, 12:44 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

how do you figure it will be modulated? the head unit of the xm unit goes into the aic 100 and the sound is thru the levinson. the control is thru the head unit. where do you see modulation in this equation?
Old 05-31-05, 04:28 PM
mlbpbg
Rookie

Because there is no plug for the display. The XM receiver unit goes into the Vaistech unit which in turn plugs into the factory head unit. Check out the diagram on their website or call Eugene at Vaistech.
Old 06-01-05, 05:21 AM
Energy25
Driver School Candidate

I've looked into this system for my 2004 GX470 and 2002 SC430. Regarding the SC430, the advantage I see is getting away from the FM modulated XM install which is what I have right now and I'm not thrilled with it. I've already got the XM Commander installed in the ashtray which IMHO works really well. It's easy to reach and switch stations etc. (I don't use the remote at all).

I've had trouble getting an installer to purchase the vaistech unit because they want the installer to make a volume commitment.

For those of you who bought the controller for the SC430 what price did you get by going directly to Vaistech?
Old 06-01-05, 05:30 AM
mlbpbg
Rookie

Originally Posted by Energy25
I've looked into this system for my 2004 GX470 and 2002 SC430. Regarding the SC430, the advantage I see is getting away from the FM modulated XM install which is what I have right now and I'm not thrilled with it. I've already got the XM Commander installed in the ashtray which IMHO works really well. It's easy to reach and switch stations etc. (I don't use the remote at all).

I've had trouble getting an installer to purchase the vaistech unit because they want the installer to make a volume commitment.

For those of you who bought the controller for the SC430 what price did you get by going directly to Vaistech?
I paid about $360.00 for each of the units I had installed in my 2005 SC430 and 2005 GX470. It is a bummer that the SC head unit won't display text, but you can program about 10 presets into the unit. The Commander display is useless unfortunately. However, without the modulator the sound is awesome.
Old 06-01-05, 06:04 AM
Energy25
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for quick response. Sorry for my lack of details here but do you mean that the Commander is useless with the Vaistech unit (meaning not usable?). If so that is a surprise to me.

I am very happy to hear about the sound quality improvement - that to me is the most important but if I can't see what is playing (via the Commander unit or the existing head unit) I find another setback for satellite radio in Lexus vehicles - in particular the SC...

BTW - compliments to the vehicle combination! I will likely upgrade my SC next year so maybe the 2006 will be XM compliant?? in the meantime...
Old 06-01-05, 06:15 AM
mlbpbg
Rookie

Originally Posted by Energy25
Thanks for quick response. Sorry for my lack of details here but do you mean that the Commander is useless with the Vaistech unit (meaning not usable?). If so that is a surprise to me.

I am very happy to hear about the sound quality improvement - that to me is the most important but if I can't see what is playing (via the Commander unit or the existing head unit) I find another setback for satellite radio in Lexus vehicles - in particular the SC...

BTW - compliments to the vehicle combination! I will likely upgrade my SC next year so maybe the 2006 will be XM compliant?? in the meantime...
You are most welcome. In talking with Eugene at Vaistech, since the Commander receiver plugs directly into the AICx, there is no place to plug in the dispay unit. It amazes me that Lexus has not integrated XM or Sirius into the head unit or at least tied the audio system into the Nav screen considereing that the SC is the most expensive car Lexus produces. Before upgrading to the 2006, if XM integration is vital to you, you may want to contact Lexus directly. My understanding from reading the posts is that most of the 2006 upgrades are cosmetic except for the tranny.
Old 06-01-05, 06:36 AM
Energy25
Driver School Candidate

Unbelievable...I thought I had the ticket and now again searching for a solution (not FM modulated). The Commander fits perfectly in the ashtray and I don't want anything disrupting the factory look in the interior (I can always close the ashtray door).

I rarely use my Navigation - rarely even have the door to it open but that would seem to be the next logical place for the SAT controls - similar to the GX...
Old 06-02-05, 12:33 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

whats the problem? the text adds very little to the xm experience unless you want to buy the song thats being played. its the sound that matters and if you can get the sound into the levinson system I will take it.

Last edited by OneOfOne; 06-03-05 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-03-05, 07:48 PM
mlbpbg
Rookie

That's the spirit
Old 06-05-05, 12:50 AM
MarsB007
Driver

here's my solution...

the XM Commander installed right next to my mirror (can't see it from the outside at all).
Attached Thumbnails vaistech and sc 430-xm-0010.jpg  

Quick Reply: vaistech and sc 430