Notices
SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Side Skirts - OEM or ??

Old 05-16-19, 06:45 AM
Dokuji
Rookie

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Side Skirts - OEM or ??

Yes, i read the FAQ and found the "aero fitment thread" which is really old, the photos that i assume once were in there aren't there anymore. It's kinda useless.

so, sideskirts right?

My main question is, does nobody make a replica OEM 97+ style sideskirt?? ^^pictured above^^ (or are those not OEM?) if no, why not? From what i can tell it's either OEM (if you can find a set) or you have to go with something chunkier like these:

^^ these are both ebay sideskirts i believe, and i'm sorta ok with them, except for that HIDEOUS gap under the door. is there a good way to fill that in?? it's especially noticable on a white car, which I have
Old 05-16-19, 06:50 AM
Dokuji
Rookie

Heres a better shot of what I can only assume is genuine OEM >> the fitment I want:

So, yeah. I guess I'm just asking you guys what are my options? SOL? have to settle for the ebay stuff? I can't find OEM for sale in the classifieds or anywhere on the internet. Not sure I'd like the price when/if I do either.

Sorry, I've been out of the SC game for a long time.

Last edited by Dokuji; 05-16-19 at 06:53 AM.
Old 05-16-19, 08:14 AM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

that gap is for the factory 97+ piece that comes with the oem kit. I think you can find those pieces used or maybe even new from the dealer still. The AC (and replica) kit is a good compromise between the factory 97+ oem kit and vertex-style agressive kit.

edit: Nevermind about what i said regarding the gap. I noticed what you were referring to in those pics. just didn't think of that space as an abnormally large gap.

Last edited by Zerodrag; 05-16-19 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-16-19, 10:21 AM
Dokuji
Rookie

Are you saying there's a trim piece for the lower potion of the door? And thats why some cars look like they have a massive gap down there cuz they are missing it? such as :

BTW to the owners of these cars I love your rides I'm not "hating" just explaining what I see.
Old 05-16-19, 07:06 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Ya, there is a panel piece on the bottom of the door for the 97 and newer SCs. If you install most aftermarket side skirts on a pre-97 body, there will normally be an "indent" area at the door bottom without the piece.
Old 05-17-19, 06:22 AM
Dokuji
Rookie

Originally Posted by Zerodrag View Post
Ya, there is a panel piece on the bottom of the door for the 97 and newer SCs. If you install most aftermarket side skirts on a pre-97 body, there will normally be an "indent" area at the door bottom without the piece.
interesting. did not know that. it should fit pre-97 doors too right?

this is all I can find online. surely this isnt an oem piece or fit. what gives?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LexSC-SC300...sAAOSwYDZaT16G

Last edited by Dokuji; 05-17-19 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-17-19, 07:12 AM
t2d2
Lexus Champion

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

It's a trim piece that is interchangeable with the earlier trim piece in that space. The gap is indeed unsightly without it. If you buy a set of OEM skirts, make sure the door trims come with them.
Old 05-17-19, 05:26 PM
Dokuji
Rookie

^^ but where can i source them ?? may have luck at a salvage yard, how are they attached? i am worried they'd snap in half trying to remove them :/
Old 05-18-19, 06:16 AM
t2d2
Lexus Champion

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

As I recall, they're held on by a few push pin thingies and I believe a couple bolts going through to the inside of the door.
Old 05-20-19, 01:26 PM
BiGEZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Dokuji View Post
^^ but where can i source them ?? may have luck at a salvage yard, how are they attached? i am worried they'd snap in half trying to remove them :/
There are held on quite securely with the oem clips and no they will not snap in half as they have a metal strip in the back. I have a pair I can snap pics of next time I go to my storage cage.
As mentioned above the AC Shine APT kit is a good fit and very durable. See the kit on my 99SC400.

Last edited by BiGEZ; 05-20-19 at 01:28 PM. Reason: added pic.
The following 3 users liked this post by BiGEZ:
Dokuji (05-20-19), SCJim (05-25-19), ssteffl (05-23-19)
Old 05-20-19, 06:32 PM
Dokuji
Rookie

Looking good, my dude!
I honestly never knew about this trim piece. I used to own an sc300 so I'm not entirely new.
kinda frustrated by this though. just another thing for my OCD to obsess about and eventually pay for
Old 05-23-19, 10:24 AM
ssteffl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BiGEZ View Post

There are held on quite securely with the oem clips and no they will not snap in half as they have a metal strip in the back. I have a pair I can snap pics of next time I go to my storage cage.
As mentioned above the AC Shine APT kit is a good fit and very durable. See the kit on my 99SC400.
beautiful car, what wheels do you have on it?
Old 05-24-19, 01:18 AM
BiGEZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks, the wheels are ERS SR12 19x8.5 and 19x9.5.
Old 06-30-19, 01:58 AM
99ROLLA
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love the sc lip kits, even the aggressive ones are somewhat tame compared to others

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Side Skirts - OEM or ??

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: