APTech (KBD)...learn something new about polyurethane kits today - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

APTech (KBD)...learn something new about polyurethane kits today

Old 08-19-17, 02:45 PM   #1
LexIS007
Pole Position

Default APTech (KBD)...learn something new about polyurethane kits today

I am just going to take a stab in the dark here and assume that NONE of you (who have ordered the APTech / KBD kit from Irving) received yours like this....right???

*** UPDATE ***

Moderators changed the title of this post...thank you moderators.

As far as whether I should take the post down, I think I would like to keep it up as this will make a great resource for those who are thinking of ordering poly-urethane kits from any vendor....to put them at ease knowing what to expect. Maybe the vendors can provide more literature in a disclaimer of some kind when they ship these types of kits.

Thanks to all who provided positive and constructive comments re-assuring this products quality!

Last edited by LexIS007; 08-23-17 at 10:54 AM.
LexIS007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 03:33 PM   #2
KahnBB6

What... the... hell...???

Rhetorical question but how was it determined that the panels would be useable once they were unpackaged? We have Greyhound shipping for very large items for a reason.

Edit: Apparently polyurethane has amazing shape-retaining properties! Today I learned something new!

Last edited by KahnBB6; 08-19-17 at 11:52 PM.
KahnBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 03:41 PM   #3
Blkexcoupe
Lexus Champion

It's how they ship their kits. It's one of the advantages of polyurethane, the ability to be folded up and have it form back to its original shape. Leave the kit in the sun for a few hours and it should form back to its original shape.

A larger box may not cost more, but the price to ship that large box would double or triple the shipping cost.
Blkexcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blkexcoupe For This Useful Post:
APTech (08-19-17)
Old 08-19-17, 03:47 PM   #4
gerrb

As long as there are no chips or actual damages on the pieces , wait a while and they would get back into their original shapes .

You might have at the end use a bit of heat from a heat gun if there would be stubborn part that do not go back into shape.

As Blkexcoupe said , that is how poly-urethane parts are shipped to save on shipping otherwise they will have to let you pay more on shipping costs . Had two APTech complete kit shipped to me and where on the same shape initially
gerrb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gerrb For This Useful Post:
APTech (08-19-17)
Old 08-19-17, 04:58 PM   #5
LexIS007
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahnBB6 View Post
What... the... hell...???

Rhetorical question but how was it determined that the panels would be useable once they were unpackaged? We have Greyhound shipping for very large items for a reason.

That's a complete refund right there
I agree....does APTech/KBD guarantee that these parts will form back to shape after they are unpackaged? If not, then the parts are not sold/shipped as described....bc if they were, I am positive no one would buy a set.
Old 08-19-17, 05:00 PM   #6
LexIS007
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrb View Post
As long as there are no chips or actual damages on the pieces , wait a while and they would get back into their original shapes .

You might have at the end use a bit of heat from a heat gun if there would be stubborn part that do not go back into shape.

As Blkexcoupe said , that is how poly-urethane parts are shipped to save on shipping otherwise they will have to let you pay more on shipping costs . Had two APTech complete kit shipped to me and where on the same shape initially
Gerrb,

Your telling me you received two complete kits in the same packaging as I did and they returned back to shape by just letting them sit out??? Did you mention this in your review of this kit?
Old 08-19-17, 06:25 PM   #7
gerrb

yes .. they come folded

it is in my build thread somewhere

here you go .. starting post 3442

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...-toys-230.html
gerrb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerrb For This Useful Post:
APTech (08-19-17), LexIS007 (08-20-17)
Old 08-19-17, 06:55 PM   #8
Organized Garage Status
Sponsor

I've seen much worse from KBD. There's one that was purposely backed into a truck on the driveway, one was hit by baseball bat, drifted through the wall, etc, just browse their IG page: http://instagram.com/kbdbodykits

And they all survived.

www.OrganizedGarageStatus.com

Permanent Headlight Restoration, Projector Retrofit and Custom Headlights & Tail Lights

1996 Lexus SC300
1997 Lexus ES300
2008 Lexus GX470
Organized Garage Status is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Organized Garage Status For This Useful Post:
APTech (08-19-17)
Old 08-19-17, 07:37 PM   #9
BiGEZ
Lead Lap

Don't worry about it buddy, put them out in the sun for a few hours and they form back to the molded shape.
Mine came like that and was fine. My buddy received his a few month back packaged just like yours. He only recently opened the boxes and took them out. Guess what? they are back to their original shape and installed on the car.
Those parts are tough and durable with a perfect fit.

Last edited by BiGEZ; 08-20-17 at 10:54 AM.
BiGEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BiGEZ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-17, 07:54 PM   #10
Duck05
Lexus Test Driver

Ditto ....... my front end was like a pretzel and it acclimated back to shape.... I used a professional body shop and some very minor heating resulted in a perfect fit..... I will update this post as soon as I reload the pictures.... (damn Photobucket .....).
Attached Thumbnails
APTech (KBD)...learn something new about polyurethane kits today-kdb-1.jpg   APTech (KBD)...learn something new about polyurethane kits today-kdb-2.jpg   APTech (KBD)...learn something new about polyurethane kits today-kdb-3.jpg   APTech (KBD)...learn something new about polyurethane kits today-kdb-4.jpg   APTech (KBD)...learn something new about polyurethane kits today-kdb-5.jpg  

APTech (KBD)...learn something new about polyurethane kits today-kdb-5.5.jpg   APTech (KBD)...learn something new about polyurethane kits today-kdb-6.jpg  

Last edited by Duck05; 08-19-17 at 08:18 PM.
Duck05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duck05 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-17, 08:21 PM   #11
APTech
Sponsor

Hey, there should have been a bright yellow sheet explaining the "put it in the sun" step, sorry if you didn't get that in the box.

Yes, every piece we sell ships in a ups ground box (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...er-now-11.html) and IS covered by our warranty should it fail to return to original shape.its how ​​we are able to offer such competitive pricing. If it can be manipulated like that to ship, imagine. How much damage it can absorb should you hit a parking stop :O.

IF for some reason it didn't return to shape, just pm or email me. You also have. My number.
since its the weekend, I leave you with this KBD meme:
Lexus SC Rear and Sides pre-order thread(finished)

Forum Moderator Gerrb's review of our kits

Have our parts on your car? hashtag #partsthatfit #kbdaero !
714-529-1981
APTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 08:27 PM   #12
APTech
Sponsor

P.S. sorry about any typos or inccorect punctuation. On my mobile :/.
APTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 08:32 PM   #13
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Pretty sure most urethane kits have always been shipped this way since the beginning of time!
97-SC300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 11:50 PM   #14
KahnBB6

That's... actually really cool! My mind has been blown and I learned something about bodykits and polyurethane today. Being able to ship bumpers and side skirts that way and see them return to their perfect original dimensions is amazing!

Now I know!
KahnBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-17, 05:09 PM   #15
LexIS007
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by APTech View Post
Hey, there should have been a bright yellow sheet explaining the "put it in the sun" step, sorry if you didn't get that in the box.
I will leave them in the sun and see if they return to shape as you mentioned.

If it does work, then I agree a "put in the sun" sheet should have been provided (which I did not get).

Thanks for clarifying...this does put me somewhat at ease.