SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Is bumpstop modification required on mk4 shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-16, 03:24 PM
1uzsoarer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is bumpstop modification required on mk4 shocks?

Basically trying to figure out which of these I should do for my 95' SC4 w/ oem TT JZA80 (MK4) bilsteins installed: SC3/4 BUMP-STOP LENGTH vs MK4 BUMP-STOP LENGTH vs CUSTOM BUMP-STOP LENGTH

So I have a set of JZA80 Supra bilstein shocks and springs, the dust boots are starting to tear and the car is a tad stiff when the shocks extend to full travel over bumps or sudden dips that cause them to bottom out (potholes, big cracks in the road, ect) Which leads me to think that the bump-stops are worn out, or the rubber has completely dried and become hard. When cornering the car is responsive, and pressing down on the car when it's parked, there is no excessive droop, so it seems as if the shocks and springs themselves are fine.

Now, because these shocks lower the SC3/4's compared to the oem suspension, will I want a shorter bump stop than what came on them so that they reach full travel before bottoming out on the shock top? Or will I want longer bumpstops because the SC/soarers are heavier causing the shocks to droop more, and let the bump-stop absorb more before reaching full travel? What is the optimal amount of travel I want to have with the JZA shocks on an SC?

if anyone with extensive suspension knowledge could chip in or someone wants to point me in the right direction it'd be of huge help. Want to make sure the car rides and handles properly without messing up the amount of travel it should have. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-04-16, 06:17 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Yes, install your bump stops because Bilsteins sit lower on our scs, thus there is a good chance you can bottom out your new suspension.