Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

L-tunes or Bilsteins

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-03, 03:09 PM
ballin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L-tunes or Bilsteins

What feels and handle better Bilsteins or L-tunes?
Old 09-21-03, 03:13 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

B -

Do you mean shocks only? Or do you have a spring in mind for both already?

I'd also encourage you to use the advanced search feature of the forum, as the performance of most suspension setups has been discussed quite extensively.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-21-03 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-21-03, 04:22 PM
ballin
Pole Position

Sorry, I meant shocks.
I also did the search but non compared the Ltuned with Bilstien shocks alone. I need to upgrade my shocks, but cant afford to go with coilovers yet.
Old 09-21-03, 06:21 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

What springs will you be using? Are you going to upgrade them as well?
Old 09-22-03, 10:36 AM
ballin
Pole Position

I have Apexi springs that are on my stock struts now, and I will be using these same springs on these new shocks. The Apexi lowers the ride about 1.5". The stock shocks handles good at speeds lower then 40mph, but when you go over 50mph gets uncontrollable. I would go one the highway daily to work and going over a bridge bump or any bump would give the car a swaying floating feeling, and its becoming unsafe. So I hope replacing them with these better shocks would get rid of the that feeling.
Old 09-22-03, 01:46 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

I don't know of anyone here that has a combination of those springs with L-tuned or Bilstein (please post if you read this and do). Of the two, I would recommend Bilstein because of reputation, my personal experience with them, and a lifetime warranty which I don't believe the L-tuned have.
Old 09-22-03, 03:17 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Might want to post what your threshold is to ride harshness. Bilstein Sports definitely get rid of float but on my wife's new GS3 it was closer to a buckboard than a bimmer. Bilstein HDs are still very controlled but the ride is vastly improved. It is a personal decision but if you go the Bilsteins, you might want to think about the HDs unless you really want to have the car follow every ripple in the road (and feel most of them). Don't know about the l tuned but I would guess from the posts here that they will be very close to the stockers.
Old 09-23-03, 01:19 PM
amwendwa
Rookie

On your wife's GS300, are you running the HD shocks on stock springs and stock 16" wheels? If so do you have any issues with negative camber, or uneven tire wear? Also if you decided to go with upgraded 18" wheels will you keep this setup? The reason why I ask, I'm looking for something conservative, but controlled. I think your wife's GS300 suspension combo offers this.

hakuna matata
gs300_02
Old 09-23-03, 01:35 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Stock springs and 16's, just like my GS430. Absolutely no problems with alignment or tire wear. The Sportivo sways go on, maybe this weekend, and I have this sneaky suspicion that they will actually improve the ride and handling. If I just went to 18's, I would definitely keep this setup as the 18s will probably make the ride a bit harsher. The only time you are going to run into the alignment, negative camber, tire wear issues is if you drop and by how much. If I were going to drop, which isn't high on my list, I would go with one of the "coilovers" because that generally defines a strut with an adjustable ride height (and drop) setup. At least then you could watch things and not go through too much pain with changing the amount of drop relative to alignment issues. As of right now, the Bilstein PSS would be top of my list but that would be for the GS430. The GS300 really did not like the Bilstein sports and it has such sweet/balanced handling right now that I am loathe to touch it. Subjectively it seems to me to be just a tad stiffer than a bimmer setup but with very acceptable ride. Getting neutral, balanced handling is a lot easier with the GS3 than the GS4, much like the 530 - 540 tradeoff. I would have never thought the relatively small weight difference would have such a big impact. But, just like the 5, my guess is the GS3 is just easier to get almost ideal handling without degrading ride if you don't go too high in spring rates, shock valving, etc.

Now if someone can just tell me why the Bilstein HDs are more expensive than the Sports. Still can't figure that one out.

Last edited by RON430; 09-23-03 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-24-03, 11:20 AM
amwendwa
Rookie

thanks for the info. i plan to replicate your gs300 setup with 18"s. let us know how the sways play out.
Old 09-24-03, 12:47 PM
ballin
Pole Position

Ok, I'm swaying towards the Bilsteins. But what's the difference between the Bilstein HD, and Bilstein Sport?

I would like to also keep my stock sway bars, and change out the support bushings and end link bushings. Is there any other manufactures or companies that makes Urathane bushings for our GS3/4 except DAIZEN?
Old 09-24-03, 12:53 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by ballin

I would like to also keep my stock sway bars, and change out the support bushings and end link bushings. Is there any other manufactures or companies that makes Urathane bushings for our GS3/4 except DAIZEN?
I've read so many good reviews and no real negative ones on the Daizen poly bushings that it'd be hard for me (in your position) to get something different. Unless you want to be first one on the block with the new TRDs -->https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=96130

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-24-03 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-24-03, 04:09 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Ok, I'm swaying towards the Bilsteins. But what's the difference between the Bilstein HD, and Bilstein Sport?

I am a little fuzzy on this but as I recall, the Sports are 50 to 100% stiffer than standard shocks while the HDs are supposed to be around 20% stiffer. On my 2k1 SG430, the Sports are great. On my wife's 2k3 GS300, they were pretty annoying. I just couldn't believe the difference but the Sports were just too darned stiff. In addition, over good sized bumps, there was a nasty "thwump" from somewhere in the back. So, off went the Sports and on went the HDs. The "thwump" disappeared and the ride improved dramatically. This might be a specific result with a specific car and a specific set of shocks but it was amazing. The Sports are in the garage in case I need a replacement for my car and there is peace in GS3 land. While my wife is not exactly a boulevard cruiser (when we met we both had E types and she has relegated all Honda's and Acura's to the too soft for highway use category) but the GS3 with the Sports definitely had that buckboard feel to it. With the HDs it really has a very neutral balance that a GS4 may never get, a little too much weight up front in all likelihood.

Haven't seen replacement bushings for the GS but you might give someone like PST a call. Most of the aftermarket bushings are not poly but a co-polymer of some sort. PST uses polygraphite so they have the built in lubrication which is the minimum I would look for if I were going with solid bushings. The TRD bushing kit doesn't seem to include the sway bar bushings. Both the TRD blues and the TRD white Sportivos come with the bar bushing and they might be a different durometer but it is awfully hard to tell just looking at them.

Last edited by RON430; 09-24-03 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-27-03, 01:39 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Apexi springs that are on my stock struts now, and I will be using these same springs on these new shocks. The Apexi lowers the ride about 1.5". The stock shocks handles good at speeds lower then 40mph, but when you go over 50mph gets uncontrollable. I would go one the highway daily to work and going over a bridge bump or any bump would give the car a swaying floating feeling, and its becoming unsafe. So I hope replacing them with these better shocks would get rid of the that feeling.
I have tried both Bilstein Sp and LT shocks with various config. Search for my detailed posts. If you're concerned about ride, go with the LT shocks. My "guess" is the Bilstein HD would be the same as the LT as I haven't tried the Bilstein HD. These shocks will offer a good calculated risk when installing with Apexi. Again, you want to use these shocks if "ride" is number one and controlled ride is number two in your priority.

The Bilstein Sp is close to perfect for OEM springs but a little stiff for me when coupled with the Eibach. The noise in the back which RON430 described appeared in my OEM/Bilstein Sp combo. I think OLDGUY has this same phenomenon. Plus, the Bilstein Sp raised the car a little bit. This shock is the way to go if a firm, controlled ride is in your Priority 1 list, and comfort running behind. This shock's ride will depend a lot on your spring. If your Apexi spring rate approximates the OEM, then this may be a winner. But if the spring rate is closer to Eibach, I would not recommend it if you care about ride. Again, some members here are happy, very happy in fact, with their Eibach/Bilstein Sp combo. I tried it and decided it's not for me.

I am now running LT shocks and LT springs. I am not looking to change it so I guess I'm happy. My feeling is this setup is more comfortable than stock but at the same time handles 100% better than stock. Firm but comfy. And Lexus silky, too.

As a matter of reference, I ride on 17" wheels. Good luck.

Last edited by whitels; 09-27-03 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-27-03, 02:10 PM
ballin
Pole Position

Thanks for everybody input.