SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Power Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-16, 07:49 PM
Tau511
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Problem

I've only ever worked on a power steering pump in a saab before and it was way different.

When we bought this car it had an obvious steering problem and I'm trying to figure out what it is.

The pump makes noise and it is very hard to turn the car - especially after driving a lot.

Went ahead and swapped out the pump today. Found out that the high pressure hose was a bit bent up and scuffed up. Decided to reuse though because i didn't have a replacement and the car was blocking my other cars in the driveway.

Replaced the copper washers and did the full bleed procedure - brand new pump, cleaned res and everything.

Obviously did not seat the copper washers right or something because it now just blows fluid out from the fitting. A storm came in so I had to just reassemble everything and park it on the street.

Before I tackle it again, any advice for other things to look for? Would just having that line not seated properly make it really difficult to turn the wheels with them on the ground?

1997 SC400
Old 02-01-16, 12:44 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Double check the torque for the banjo bolt, also check the hose end for cracks. If not torques down correctly the high pressure of the fluids will cause leaks. In addition try bleeding the system again. Did you raise the front wheels off the ground and turn the steering wheel full lock position left and right to bleed of the excess air with the engine not running.? What fluid did you use, it should be Dexron type automatic transmission fluid.
Torque down the banjo bolt and bleed the system again.
Old 02-01-16, 05:50 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Tau511
I've only ever worked on a power steering pump in a saab before and it was way different.
Did you put dextron ATF in? PS fluid will roast the system.
When the rack went out on my SC, I had to remove a couple lines. That resulted in ripping them because they were stuck. At the end of the day (month, really) I ended up replacing almost every hose and clamp in the PS system before it was free of leaks and seepage.
Old 02-02-16, 06:41 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

When I replaced mine on SC4, the new pump did not have a valave (I am not sure if that is the right name or truly a valve) but the thing was in one of the holes of the pump. I transferred it from my old pump. If I find a parts diagram I will edit my post and update it. In the mean time check your o;d pump.

Due to the location of the pump, I could not get the torque wrench to ensure proper torque,

Salim