SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

99 SC300 problems.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-15, 09:23 PM
Ty93SC300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 99 SC300 problems.

Ok well I just purchased my 99 SC300 today and before buying the car I already knew what I was in for. I've taken on the previous owners project. The car is almost perfect inside and out aside from one small issue..... The previous owner before the guy I just got the car from installed new injectors incorrectly which cause a fuel leak, which caused as small fire that burned a part of the engine harness. So the guy I just got the car from replaced the harness, sensors, injectors and such and the car still wouldn't start. He told me at one point a mechanic got the engine to turn over but wouldn't start and at the same time the gauges and such wouldn't work. And then they got the gauges to work but the car wouldn't turn over. I'm wondering if maybe they got the wrong harness or maybe a ground isn't connected or maybe the ECU got fried.
If anybody could help me out that would be awesome!!!! I would love to get this beautiful SC back on the road and enjoy it. I also would love to convert this thing to a 5 speed with my non vvti GTE motor I have though I'm sure that is very hard to do. any advice is welcome. Thanks!

P.S. Sorry for the car being dirty in the pics. I cleaned her up once I got home and she looks so much better. 8/10 exterior and 9/10 interior.
Attached Thumbnails 99 SC300 problems.-99sc300.jpg   99 SC300 problems.-99sc300.2.jpg  
Old 11-10-15, 11:30 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

First off welcome. From what you described, everything sounds like it's been replaced. However, with a fire, I'd be weary as there's a lot of stuff in that area that may have got burned or melted. First step I'd do is to double check the guys repairs. It is possible he may have got the wrong part number; the only way to verify is to double check his receipts and/or the parts he replaced. The check/verify for anything charred, burnt, or melted if you haven't done so already. good luck
Old 11-11-15, 08:56 PM
Ty93SC300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jadu
First off welcome. From what you described, everything sounds like it's been replaced. However, with a fire, I'd be weary as there's a lot of stuff in that area that may have got burned or melted. First step I'd do is to double check the guys repairs. It is possible he may have got the wrong part number; the only way to verify is to double check his receipts and/or the parts he replaced. The check/verify for anything charred, burnt, or melted if you haven't done so already. good luck
Yeah I've pretty much ran through everything and still found that some vacuum lines were still missing and or burnt along with the upper heater hose line going to the bypass valve. Also I need a brake master cylinder reservoir. All the wiring seems to be all plugged in properly from what I see. I'll have to ask the previous owner for receipts. Anyway I'm sure the car is immobilized due to the harness being changed and what not. when I insert the key into the ignition the security light stays on and when I turn it nothing happens.
Also thanks for the welcome!
Old 11-12-15, 06:00 AM
sc4hunnit
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the immobilizer would be disabled due to the replacement of the harness. Perhaps he didn't install it correctly and maybe left a few plugs in the wrong area, or some other things got toasted in the fire.

go over it with a fine toothed comb and make sure everyone is home where they're supposed to be.

good luck.
Old 11-21-15, 04:18 PM
Ty93SC300
Driver School Candidate

Yeah that's one of my thoughts also. I've went through all the engine harness and discovered 4 plugs not plugged in and/or broken connectors. I need a good harness diagram so that I can know what's missing. All I know is that the "Security" light doesn't stop blinking even while the key is inserted in the ignition and turned Gauges light up and all but when the key is turned there is no reaction at all.
Old 11-21-15, 04:48 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Buy a factory service manual would be my advice. A genuine Toyota manual, not one of those crap Chilton or Haynes manuals. It might be $100+, but IMO think of it as buying a nice tool like a new jack or torque wrench.

Maybe somebody else can help the man on where to get a genuine Toyota manual at a good price. I've been able to score GM manuals on ebay for $20, but Toyota manuals are stupid expensive for some reason.
Old 11-21-15, 05:31 PM
Ty93SC300
Driver School Candidate

Yeah man I'll try and get my hands on one for sure. Thanks.
Old 11-23-15, 05:51 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ty93SC300
Yeah man I'll try and get my hands on one for sure. Thanks.
Books4cars.com