SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Weight Reduction

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-03, 05:38 AM
Gixer 1000
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weight Reduction

Ok people, i did a search for this exact subject. Didnt turn up to much besides rims and a carbon fiber hood. Whats the best way to put a sc300 (5 spd) on a serious diet, without gettin crazy like gutting the interior. Exhaust was the next thing i was gonna try for a weight/performance upgrade.

Im just checkin if theres anything i can take off or replace for a decent weight reduction.
Old 03-01-03, 07:54 AM
bmsport
Lead Lap

Definitly exhaust, maybe a single exhaust instead of dual, maybe replacing the front seats with racing seats made from fiberglass because the front lazy-boys weigh like 100 lbs each, lol. Other than that, the spare tire, not having a sub enclosure, and AC are the only safe things you could do without hampering the enjoyablity / drivability of the car.
Old 03-01-03, 11:14 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A search will turn up a great deal on this, but to help you out, since i'm too lazy to type out all the things you can do, DoubleWoosh posted a very good list a little ways back, look for that thread...
Old 03-01-03, 11:47 AM
Gixer 1000
Driver

DoubleWoosh posted a very good list a little ways back, look for that thread
i read that same post u made when i did search fot it ...
didnt find the article though ...
Old 03-01-03, 12:58 PM
Lvangundy

Remove all sound deadening material from the body frame

If you must have seats, get cloth seats. otherwise remove the back ones and the passenger side.

Take out spare tire, all floor mats (trunk mat too)
Old 03-01-03, 05:06 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

A less popular suggestion.......

Old 03-04-03, 11:10 PM
SC300TT DoRiFuTa
Driver School Candidate

Default Weight reduction

As you SC drivers know, the SC weighs a lot. And since the gas prices are so high now, I want to do a do-it-yourself weight reduction on my car, but I don't know what i can take out. I have taken out my spare already and the car feels a lot lighter, I think i will take off my mufflers next, the car sounds better without them anyways. Anybody know what else could be taken out?

Last edited by SC300TT DoRiFuTa; 03-04-03 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-04-03, 11:29 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=75830

Last edited by O. L. T.; 03-04-03 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-05-03, 08:31 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Thanks Onelasttry. I merged these threads because sc300tt dorifuta's search button must have been broken.

MW
Old 03-05-03, 09:39 AM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove the gas tank and replace with a small racing style fuel cell. It will mean stopping for gas more often though. But if you are serious about putting your fat lady on a diet, that should help your sc shed a few lbs.
http://store.summitracing.com/Default.asp
Old 03-05-03, 10:46 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a few notes on weight reduction (some of you read this one already)

remove all the leather(there is alot of them) , sound deadening materials but keep the carpet. No carpet = car is cold. get rid of the AC, install lexan windows, get rid of the power seats, speakers amps radio, get plastic fuel tank, remove everything from trunk including carpet. take all the emblems off. replace steering wheel with racing wheel. remove center console, rear seats, passenger side seat, rear deck and carpeting. Definitely get lighter rims. take out the entire exhaust system and replace with 3" aluminum flex duct piping (they weigh nothing). remove fuse covers, electronic buttons etc that you won't need. Remove antena,antena motor etc. and rear spoile if you have one. Remove dash board and replace with dash pod with 1 7/8" gauges (tach speedo etc). remove power window motors tracks etc (windows won't work anymore) rip out the lining cover for the moonroof and the roof lining. remove headrest. carbon fiber or fiberglass everything that you can. take out the cornering lights and high beam bulbs. Go on a massive diet and weigh in at 84 lbs. Chop off a leg if you are over 5' 6" you are driving an automatic(optional). Shave your head and get a body waxing. Take some laxative and drink water 2 days prior to the weigh in and eat nothing for 48 hours. Cut your toenails and fingernails and if you don't mind shave the eyebrows too. make sure you are being weighed buck naked. Donate some blood. remove the 2 wiper and go to single wiper. while you're at it remove the glove box cover and lining. you know what forget waht I said all the way in the beginning and remove the carpet. let me know if I forgot anything.

you are free to do all or any part of this.

dennis
Old 03-05-03, 03:25 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default Weight reduction?

You guys are all suggesting weight reduction in the same vein as turning this luxury coupe into a funny car or racer.

Come on guys..it ain't no Honda.

It's a LUXURY coupe.

You who want weight reduction and u who want blazing speed shouldn've have gotten this car in the first place.

First of all..weight reduction is not that relevant to these cars cuz there are a LOT of heavy sc's pushing mega horsepower and outrunning a lot of LIGHTER cars that did these reductions.

GUTTING the interior...and getting rid of all the aspects of this luxury couple is pointless. Get a honda if you're going to do that.

For reducing weight w/out reducing the car's luxury nature I'd suggest:

1)carbon fiber hood
2)carbon fiber doors
3)carbon fiber trunk
4)lighter magnesium wheels
5)skimp on the stereo system a bit.
6) contemplate getting carbon fiber seats.

That is about ALL i would do and still keep the car intact.
You'd shave a couple hundred lbs off the car w/this list and not only that...w/engine upgrades would really make the car responsive. But don't expect a McClaren F1 out of this and don't AIM to either.

If someone has the money and resources to REBUILD the entire car frame and supports in carbon fiber and aluminum AND also incorporate the the 6 changes above. then you're looking at about 1000lbs savings...but also probably 100K to accomplish it.

But the above 6 are within reason and wouldn't ruin the luxury aspect of the car.

Try not to make the car something it's not. Gutting the interior makes no sense

Last edited by Anthracite SC; 03-05-03 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-05-03, 03:27 PM
808state
Driver

Originally posted by Gixer 1000
i read that same post u made when i did search fot it ...
didnt find the article though ...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=weight
Old 03-05-03, 05:44 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The driver should go on a diet too.
Old 03-05-03, 06:36 PM
Gixer 1000
Driver

without gettin crazy like gutting the interior
for what its worth, thats what i already said

I have another question, wheres a good place to find out the differences between the NA supra and the sc300. Is everything the same as far as fuel systems goes ? (newB alert)

Quick Reply: Weight Reduction