SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

DC 12V for Reverse Camera?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-13, 11:45 AM
1uzDreamSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you test to see if the camera is is powering on and sending a video signal like I suggested? I would try and power the camera from another source.

When you put it in reverse did the deck switch inputs? Should have. If the camera wasn't working then there would have just been a black screen.

You should just pay a pro to do it for you.
Old 06-02-13, 12:48 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Biddles

That's it....that's all they gave me to work with.
What more do you need? It's brutally simple. Yellow RCA to video input of monitor, other plug is power. One wire is ground, one is for the reverse light.
Old 06-02-13, 12:57 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1uzDreamSC
Did you test to see if the camera is is powering on and sending a video signal like I suggested? I would try and power the camera from another source.

When you put it in reverse did the deck switch inputs? Should have. If the camera wasn't working then there would have just been a black screen.

You should just pay a pro to do it for you.
Yea I tried that, no signal. Deck never switched inputs either. No black screen, nothing. Deck works fine, had it installed by a pro after Amazon sent me the wrong wiring harness...

The deck never switched inputs. I've read the pioneer manual three times now trying to configure it. There's two video inputs, I tried both, tried grounding the camera in multiple places, tried the DC12v in multiple places. The only thing I can think of is the camera is either doa or the wires it comes with are messed up. I've read the amazon reviews, and apparently there are two versions of this camera. I got the original(old) version. The new version comes with an additional wire splitting from the Video cable that can be spliced into the head units reverse signal wire... Either way I bought a wire from radio shack to do the deed and still nothing. I appreciate the help though.
Old 06-02-13, 02:08 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea I tried that, no signal. Deck never switched inputs either. No black screen, nothing. Deck works fine, had it installed by a pro after Amazon sent me the wrong wiring harness...

The deck never switched inputs. I've read the pioneer manual three times now trying to configure it. There's two video inputs, I tried both, tried grounding the camera in multiple places, tried the DC12v in multiple places. The only thing I can think of is the camera is either doa or the wires it comes with are messed up. I've read the amazon reviews, and apparently there are two versions of this camera. I got the original(old) version. The new version comes with an additional wire splitting from the Video cable that can be spliced into the head units reverse signal wire... Either way I bought a wire from radio shack to do the deed and still nothing. I appreciate the help though.
Maybe you can take the camera into the cabin and plug right into the unit and power and fiddle with the head unit while all elements are right there in your lap and you can see the display. I might be easier to verify that it works (or doesn't). The PO of my car had one installed as well as a toggle for it. I have to trace those wires myself to see where it ends as I changed the head unit so it's likely disconnected.
Old 06-02-13, 02:12 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

So you are not having a problem with the camera as far as you know, just your head unit? Bro I owned a chain of car audio stores, I'm trying to get you straight. None of what you are doing has verified the operation of the camera, you're just running in circles. Take the RCA wire of the camera (yellow) video feed and run it to a monitor. Even if you have to drag a small LCD TV outside and put it in AUX mode so you can use the video input. You need to verify the camera is turned on and putting video out before you can bother with anything else.