SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

DC 12V for Reverse Camera?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-13, 05:50 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DC 12V for Reverse Camera?

Sup guys, I got my double din in, and now I wanted to install my reverse camera... My question is it says to connect the power line to DC 12v, but the wire given is only about two feet long with one red and one black stripped wires. What wire would/should I tap into for power? The spoiler light? 1992 SC 400.
Old 06-01-13, 06:16 AM
Smokeygsi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reverse light feed?
Old 06-01-13, 06:19 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Smokeygsi
Reverse light feed?
Yea, what wire should I tap into?
Old 06-01-13, 06:21 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

The.... reverse.... light.
Old 06-01-13, 06:32 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
The.... reverse.... light.
Lol I'm sorry I had a long night of drinking last night, things aren't clicking very well right now for me.
Old 06-01-13, 06:52 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Ok better question OLT. The red/black wire in the tail light is the correct wire to tap into right? Do you know if I connect the red wire and the black wire coming from my camera into the single red and black wire on the harness?
Old 06-01-13, 08:59 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Can't get this to work for the life of me...any help appreciated.

Video wire connected from head unit to camera. Red wire from camera connected to red wire from reverse light. Black wire from camera to ground. No signal when I put it in reverse.

I've tried red wire to white wire in reverse light. Tried red and black wires from camera to both wires in reverse light. I've tried every possible connection to the reverse light and grounding, and get no signal at all. In the manual for the camera it just says connect both red/black wires to DC12v.... My lights work... Any advice from anyone who's installed the Loftk Cmos 170 back up camera or knows a DC12v wire in the rear to tap to? My head unit is Pioneer X550BHS...
Old 06-01-13, 10:39 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Damn bump one last time before I say the hell with it. I have the Red Wire from the camera hooked to the Red/Blue Wire to the reverse light bulb by the key hole. I then have the black wire grounded. Yellow video wire is connected to the head unit and the camera. Hit it in reverse I get nothing on screen. I don't think the camera's getting power... Any ideas?
Old 06-01-13, 12:38 PM
1uzDreamSC
Pole Position

The deck can't miraculously know that you are in reverse.

You need to run a wire from your double din to your reverse light. The stereo should have a backup camera wire. So that when ever you put it into reverse a trigger is set and tells the the deck to switch to the video input.

The installer for my backup camera got 12v power from the amp remote wire. Getting power from the back up light bulb might work. You can check by hooking up the video cable to a normal video input on the deck (not the back up one) and switching to it while in reverse to check if the camera works.
Old 06-01-13, 12:43 PM
1uzDreamSC
Pole Position

Where are you putting the camera?

I had one of those that goes over the license plates. My car was recently broken into(stole my double din) and I blame it on the easily visible camera. I was always cautious about turning the screen off and turning the music down around my neighborhood. But a robber could just drive down the street checking for rear view cameras and know they have a pricy double din.
Old 06-01-13, 02:01 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1uzDreamSC
The deck can't miraculously know that you are in reverse.

You need to run a wire from your double din to your reverse light. The stereo should have a backup camera wire. So that when ever you put it into reverse a trigger is set and tells the the deck to switch to the video input.

The installer for my backup camera got 12v power from the amp remote wire. Getting power from the back up light bulb might work. You can check by hooking up the video cable to a normal video input on the deck (not the back up one) and switching to it while in reverse to check if the camera works.
That's probably where my problem stems from. My head unit has a wire(I just recently put it all back together tho) for reverse...but I didn't know what it was for. I tried hooking the red wire from the camera to it. I didn't try running that to my reverse lights...seems strange. I thought the yellow video cable would provide signal to it to switch to the camera...

Figured I just had to ground the black cable, and run the other red cable from the camera to the reverse light to power it on when I hit reverse...now it's 5PM I'm thinking of giving it another shot. Problem is now I don't have a wire to run from my double din to the damn reverse light...

Oh and I planned on mounting the camera on the bottom of the back bumper. I was planning on wiring it through the spare tire compartment where those grommets pop out for draining spills in the trunk area. Seems like a good idea.
Old 06-01-13, 03:06 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine kept frying my reverse light fuse. I forgot it was even there. I need to get it working as well.

Last edited by Studiogeek; 06-01-13 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-01-13, 08:16 PM
Reyke
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to sound like an *** but what do the install instructions say?
Old 06-02-13, 06:44 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Reyke
Not to sound like an *** but what do the install instructions say?

That's it....that's all they gave me to work with. Part of me want's to complete this task today, another part says it's my last day off....relax....eat good....game of thrones...sleep.
Old 06-02-13, 09:26 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Ok well after wiring my head units "Reverse Signal" wire to the reverse light and wiring everything else up(red wire from camera to red wire reverse light, black wire from camera to ground) I still get nothing. Video wire is in as well. Not sure there's anything else I can do at this point but just put the deck back in and say the hell with it. If anyone has any advice please chime in. Not sure what I could possibly be doing wrong at this point other then the camera itself being dead on arrival.

Quick Reply: DC 12V for Reverse Camera?