Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tilt steering repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-09, 11:18 AM
wikkrik
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

scweet right up, you just saved me $100 bucks. Mines went out about 2 months ago and i was told it was unfixable. So i started to look around for a replacement, and finally found one for $100 bucks. The night before i was going to pick it up, i decided to get on here and do a search. Im glad i did, I went outside at that moment and fixed it in less than 15 min. Funny, i was working on my car at 1 in the morning.
Old 10-18-09, 01:01 PM
blkjap
Rookie

Great information, I think my auto tilt has a future.
Old 01-13-10, 05:39 AM
ClutchOne
Driver School Candidate

Talking

This Thread Should be Sticky
Old 01-14-10, 10:00 PM
Nohawk Lex
Pole Position

Well I'm very unfortunate, I didn't get to fix you know why?

I opened mine only to find the gear missing! The dumb PO hacked it up and removed the gear and cut two wires (the two wires above cream and black). Not only that, he cracked the steering wheel column cover! Talk about unlucky.
Old 02-11-10, 07:09 AM
davidcliff
Driver School Candidate

C IRIE ..... You are my new hero. I followed your instructions and my tilt wheel works again. I had a little trouble finding the right size washers, but other than that, the job was a breeze ....... quick & easy. Thanks for the info !!
Old 02-11-10, 07:38 PM
teKcirc
Driver School Candidate

Have to try it tomorrow. I did my gas gauge today and it is pain in the @ cause the will stuck up. I should read this before doing my gas gauge
Old 02-11-10, 07:45 PM
sanengo
Driver

So what is the washer size that I'm looking for?
Old 02-12-10, 12:03 PM
teKcirc
Driver School Candidate

Done, it take 10 min from start to finished. Cost nothing.

Thank you bro
Old 02-12-10, 02:17 PM
davidcliff
Driver School Candidate

I found a metal washer at Lowe's. The outer circumference was the right size and the circumference of the center hole looked to be about the right size. But the hole ended up being just a tiny bit too small, so I took a large drill bit and made it a little larger. It worked fine, but in hindsight, I wish I had gone to the lawn & garden section of the store and checked the size of the rubber washers that you put inside the end of a garden hose. It would probably have worked better. Even though mine is now repaired, I'm going to take out the metal washer and see if I can replace it with the rubber garden hose washer. I would hate for the metal washer to wear against the side of the wheel gear and possibly damage it.
Old 02-18-10, 08:58 AM
davidcliff
Driver School Candidate

A rubber washer that goes inside the end of a garden hose is the perfect size. The guy that started this thread used TWO washers behind the wheel gear to get it to line up with the worm gear, but with my car, I needed only ONE. ..... While you're at Lowe's, don't forget to buy a tube of white lithium grease. Once the washer and the wheel gear is back in place, put a generous amount of grease in the spaces all around the gears before putting the cover back on. Mine now works smooth as silk.
Old 03-18-10, 12:40 PM
flaco1801
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

great fix hardest part was getting the gear off... used 2 paper clips with long nose pliers thanks guys
Old 03-18-10, 06:35 PM
tomsole
Driver School Candidate

Default tilt repair

You all are lucky. Both my LS400s this happened. I found that was left was a spungy resadue on the inside. I think this worm gear was ment to slide off if the steering wheel is extended too far down so as not to ruin the gear or the motor. I chose to repair my two by cutting and installing some A/C sponge filter meterial. they both now have been working perfectly. & I have no fear of stripping the teeth of that gear. Hope this makes sense. Thats why the plastic gear was wobbling...
Old 03-31-10, 09:38 PM
Mavs36
Driver School Candidate

this is awesome man my wheel has been out for a while not and i see this might be the problem i was about to take it in to see what the problem was

thanks alot
Old 06-04-10, 05:39 PM
dirtking
Driver School Candidate

Default lx470 tilt wheel stuck

does anyone know where to look for the power fuze for the tilt wheel motors? my tilt wheel is not moving and makes no noise it is a 98 lx470 I was hoping it might be a fuze
Old 06-07-10, 12:18 PM
turbopwr
Driver

i read this guide yesterday thinking how fortunate I was to still have working tilt steering. I start my car this morning and what do you know the wheel stops working. thanks to your guide the problem was fixed in 20 minutes. fantastic.

Quick Reply: Tilt steering repair