SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Need an answer!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-10, 10:44 PM
Qu0Cie
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need an answer!

So, I have owned my SC for almost a year now, and my passenger window does not work. I bought a new regulator and motor, but when I plug it in it still doesn't work. I decided to plug it in to the driver side and it rolls up and down. So my question is, What is wrong with my window? Is it the wires? Is there a fuse for it? Need help. Its almost summer and it feels so good outside. Just want some fresh air in the car. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-14-10, 10:58 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be the wire.. Can you roll using the driver side button switch? Best would be to check voltage on the passenger side wire then inspect the harness that goes through the passenger side door... Good luck.
Old 04-14-10, 11:22 PM
Qu0Cie
Driver

How do I check the voltage on the wire? The harness looks like everything is plugged in and ready to go, but I don't know. It seems like there is no power going towards the plug, but the weird thing is I can use the lock button and it works.
Old 04-14-10, 11:45 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Voltmeter... U can get one at radioshack for 5 bucks or whatever. If you can't afford that, you can be creative, use 2 piece of wire and maybe pull one of your turn signals off hehehehee......

Lock button is separate wire. Its not the same as the window. If it was then you would be either rolling up/down your window while locking/unlocking your door

My question earlier was, can you roll the passenger window using the button switch from the driver side? What we're doing here is just trying to eliminate if the passenger switch is broken or not. Then you can troubleshoot the voltage
Old 04-15-10, 12:16 AM
bangdangvn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Do what he said....I had the same issue, turn out to be a cut wire on the wire bundle by the door hinge on the driver's side.
Old 04-15-10, 01:50 AM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by masagsxr
My question earlier was, can you roll the passenger window using the button switch from the driver side? What we're doing here is just trying to eliminate if the passenger switch is broken or not. Then you can troubleshoot the voltage
^^^^

there is also a fuse in the rocker panel you need to check as well
Old 04-15-10, 12:03 PM
Qu0Cie
Driver

Originally Posted by JDMmuscle
^^^^

there is also a fuse in the rocker panel you need to check as well
Where is the rocker panel located. Sorry for my noobie questions.
Old 04-15-10, 12:35 PM
trancuongv
Advanced

Originally Posted by Qu0Cie
Where is the rocker panel located. Sorry for my noobie questions.
kick panel. driver side foot well to the left of your left leg.
Old 04-15-10, 02:00 PM
Qu0Cie
Driver

I just replaced all the fuse and it still does not work. Is there anything else I should look at?
Old 04-15-10, 02:07 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Check the damn wire LoL... check voltage or the wire harness by the door hinge... This is a common problem from opening/closing the door. Its just weird that the passenger side broke before the driver side. I used to be an MR2 owner. Just about every one I know had problem with their driver side speaker door and its because over time, the wire get cut off from opening/closing the door.
Old 04-15-10, 05:25 PM
Qu0Cie
Driver

I just checked the voltage, and it looks like it has no power going to it, what should I do? I have a friend that works with Lexus and he said the wire might have fried and I would have to go under the dash to fix it, is there any way around it?
Old 04-15-10, 05:30 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

No... u need to run new wires from inside through the door..... FYI (I doubt its fried). Most likely its wear and tear from opening/closing the door like I mentioned probably 10 times with my replies heheheee.. If you are not confident to do the work, pony up the $$$ and have someone do it for you. Its an hour job at most.

By the way, I hope you are checking the voltage right. Key must be on (ON position) then you check the voltage through the harness.

Last edited by masagsxr; 04-15-10 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-15-10, 06:41 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Check the damn wire LoL... check voltage or the wire harness by the door hinge... This is a common problem from opening/closing the door. Its just weird that the passenger side broke before the driver side. I used to be an MR2 owner. Just about every one I know had problem with their driver side speaker door and its because over time, the wire get cut off from opening/closing the door.
This was gonna be my exact post, well except the part about the mr2!
Old 04-15-10, 09:25 PM
Qu0Cie
Driver

No... u need to run new wires from inside through the door..... FYI (I doubt its fried). Most likely its wear and tear from opening/closing the door like I mentioned probably 10 times with my replies heheheee.. If you are not confident to do the work, pony up the $$$ and have someone do it for you. Its an hour job at most.

By the way, I hope you are checking the voltage right. Key must be on (ON position) then you check the voltage through the harness.
Car was on when I checked the voltage, and it read 0. Thanks to everyone that replied to this thread and helping me find a solution. CL ftw.