Drifting Conversion Starts now!! Hooked Sideways from now on

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-10, 06:23 PM
1JZ300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sc5sdanny
Lucky!!! take lots of pics
what you know about a Skyline R34 GTR wagon?????? ill be posting pics of it tonight!!!!

ill be posting pics of cars daily so stay tuned!! real soarers coming up..
Old 02-16-10, 04:00 AM
1JZ300
Lexus Test Driver

New pics updated!! here is the R33 Skyline im practicing in....i love this thing!! perfect to learn on....

In line waiting to drift.....sick silvia!! with T70dbb turbo!!

This is a Toyota Tourer Mark II 4 door With the same motor as the soarer, 1JZ-GTE LOVE IT!

Now forthe finale!! R34 GTR Skyline Wagon!!! SICK!!
Old 02-16-10, 04:10 AM
AusSC400
Rookie

Yeah the 5spd swap should make it alot easier, the 1J will be wicked on the track, show these nissan drivers up!
Old 02-16-10, 04:16 AM
1JZ300
Lexus Test Driver

Now with the AEM EMS, should i buy the universal one or the one strictly for the 1j?
Old 02-16-10, 07:11 AM
OBEEWON
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stega Wagon.
Old 02-16-10, 07:27 AM
OBEEWON
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1JZ300
I plan on going with some Tein Basic Coilovers, or possibly some Tanabe. what do you think???
I don't have personal expirience with Tenabe's. For the money you can find something better than Tein Basics though.

How important is the 2-way diff when drifting???
I don't like 2ways. They are noisy, clunky and expensive. They are basically locked all the time just like a welded. They will wear out eventually too so for me a welded is the best. Break a welded and it's just the cost of the open diff and loot for someone to weld it up. Def stay away from Torson's or VLSD's. But a locking diff was the best thing I did to improve.

Also what did you mean by its changing, into what?
Im in no way an expert, and Ive only been around this stuff for 6 years with limited track time. But in the short time I have been involved Ive seen it go from friendly fun to ugly rivalries and bitter fighting. Not all of it, but more than it needs to be. Too many ego's to go around. The internet doesn't help either. I guess its due to the increase in popularity but if I didn't value my life (and other's) and staying out of prison I would probably slide on the street and never go to the track. But that's just my expirience. Others may confirm or deny. Take it for what it's worth.

Last edited by OBEEWON; 02-16-10 at 07:33 AM.
Old 02-16-10, 09:26 AM
sc5sdanny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

great pics love the wagon
Old 02-16-10, 09:30 AM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

I think everyone has covered the basics needed for drifting. Here is my setup which is somewhat similar to what you are going for
-Welded GS400 diff (Blew up 2 SC300 diffs) **Very important IMO**
-Stance GR+ pro coilovers
-Maxxis traction rods
-2jzgte Single turbo 6 speed (Go for the R154, especially if your in Japan, you can prolly source one)

One thing I have to be careful of is overheating - when someone did the swap on my car they didnt make the temp gauge work. I have an aftermarket in now, but I really do have to keep an eye on it. Generally I will take the front bumper and hood off when drifting.
Also make sure you have plenty of spare tires and wheels. I keep the SSR's on the front and throw some IS and TSX wheels on the back for drifting.
I have a lot of fun doing it, but im getting out of it for now. Only because DD on a welded diff just sucks.
Old 02-16-10, 10:56 AM
ill roller
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OBEEWON
Im in no way an expert, and Ive only been around this stuff for 6 years with limited track time. But in the short time I have been involved Ive seen it go from friendly fun to ugly rivalries and bitter fighting. Not all of it, but more than it needs to be. Too many ego's to go around. The internet doesn't help either. I guess its due to the increase in popularity but if I didn't value my life (and other's) and staying out of prison I would probably slide on the street and never go to the track. But that's just my expirience. Others may confirm or deny. Take it for what it's worth.
Maybe people just suck out by you?

Drifting is one of the only sports I've seen where having fun is always the main goal over winning... Also the majority of guys in the drifting scene are laid back guys that will always help out, and always want to have a good time.
Old 02-16-10, 11:01 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus
Forum Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

that skyline looks like sooo much fun
Old 02-16-10, 01:48 PM
OBEEWON
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ill roller
Maybe people just suck out by you?

Drifting is one of the only sports I've seen where having fun is always the main goal over winning... Also the majority of guys in the drifting scene are laid back guys that will always help out, and always want to have a good time.
LOL, you prob right.

Don't get me wrong, some of the coolest/nicest people I've met through this hobby. There are quite a few...I'm just seeing a huge increase in foolishness.
Old 02-16-10, 02:01 PM
1JZ300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Carfreak70
I think everyone has covered the basics needed for drifting. Here is my setup which is somewhat similar to what you are going for
-Welded GS400 diff (Blew up 2 SC300 diffs) **Very important IMO**
-Stance GR+ pro coilovers
-Maxxis traction rods
-2jzgte Single turbo 6 speed (Go for the R154, especially if your in Japan, you can prolly source one)

One thing I have to be careful of is overheating - when someone did the swap on my car they didnt make the temp gauge work. I have an aftermarket in now, but I really do have to keep an eye on it. Generally I will take the front bumper and hood off when drifting.
Also make sure you have plenty of spare tires and wheels. I keep the SSR's on the front and throw some IS and TSX wheels on the back for drifting.
I have a lot of fun doing it, but im getting out of it for now. Only because DD on a welded diff just sucks.
Thanks for the advice, ill prolly go with some coilovers they have here at a local shop, they are all about hooking people up with good stuff.....

AS far as the GS400 diff goes, how does that work? is it a direct replacement? or what???? Let me know the details. I dont like the clunky 2 ways either....they are noisy as hell and people say "its normal" haha sorry, i hate it

About the r154, i can get it yes but the problem is shipping, i dont have my car here in japan im only deployed here, so i would need to ship it....

Now with the maxxis traction rods, any certain type or model???

i appreciate the advice, thanks alot, all good info!!
Old 02-16-10, 02:04 PM
1JZ300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by OBEEWON
LOL, you prob right.

Don't get me wrong, some of the coolest/nicest people I've met through this hobby. There are quite a few...I'm just seeing a huge increase in foolishness.
Yeah over here they dont even race, they have drift comps yes but those are with the D1 and D2 teams, but the regular guys, they help you out. Im talking when u shred up some tires or bend a rim. They say "hey i got an extra set of rims, use em and bring em back to me sometime this week" its so chill and relaxed here....i love this scene, its not about HP and who wins, its about sliding together and enjoying yourself!
Old 02-16-10, 10:34 PM
1JZ300
Lexus Test Driver

anyone ever ran with the Apexi Power FC, its HUGE over here in Japan ive asked 5 guys with 1j's and they all recommend it.....what you think?
Old 02-17-10, 04:13 AM
OBEEWON
Lead Lap

If you have the cake and a good tuner definitely do it. Read into it to find what type you want to get.

I gotta say the Chigago guys do look like they are having ALOT of fun out there. Love the vids.

Quick Reply: Drifting Conversion Starts now!! Hooked Sideways from now on